Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courmayeur

Poster: A snowHead
For some reason our Serre Chevalier season pass includes 6 days in Courmayeur, and I am toying with the idea of spending perhaps a couple of days there on our way down to SC in mid-March. Any suggestions welcome for accommodation (has to take dogs), close to lifts, good (cheap) restaurants, you get the picture?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helen Beaumont, I skied there last season so it's all fresh in my mind. It's a proper town (I guess a bit like Serre Che) rather than a soulless ski station. There are plenty of restaurants, shops and bars but since I was in a catered hotel, I only ate out once; pizza at the Tunnel. Scrummy pizza and very good value for money (€22 per head including wine).

With regards to accommodation I probably can't help much. There are two lifts from the town up to the ski area. The big old cable car in the centre of the town (and you'll probably find some hotels within easy walking distance of this) and the new bubble lift at Dolonne. Much of the accommodation, including the very nice hotel where I stayed, run minibus services to and from the Dolonne lift station as it's too far to walk. It's also advisable to hire equipment lockers at Plan Chécrouit (the main lift station where the Dolonne bubble lift and main cable car both arrive). The only accommodation that's ski in/ski out would be up at Plan where I think a couple of the bars/restaurants have guest rooms, but with no way back to the town when the lifts close (the road becomes a snow road that you can ski down back to Dolonne).

I can't think of any self-catering accommodation off-hand, I think it's mainly hotels.

The ski area isn't large, they claim 100km of piste but I'd estimate it to be around 60km. They may be including cross country trails and/or off-piste designated ski routes in the 100km. It's all pretty much intermediate territory and the piste grooming is excellent as are the many mountain huts. The Chécrouit side gets the sun in the morning and the Val Veny side in the afternoon. The snow was superb last season (I was there in March) and I had a great time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont, I asked about this last year so there's a thread somewhere. Great time was had. Stayed in a spa hotel in La Salle? (hotel Mont Blanc?) Apres ski in bar Roma - free nibbles (could even do without an evening meal). I recal on-piste skiing was great for a couple of days with a couple of tasty blacks. Spent a day at La Thuile also.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=847272

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1129693

any more questions, feel free to ask Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen Beaumont, we are very pleased that our CHX season passes again include unlimited Courmayeur as it often has the "opposite" weather.

It is funny how different reports of what a resort is like can be...

Skiing is fine, um not terribly challenging unless you seek it out. I understand quite a lot of stuff you can do if you want. Must explore. Good access to Grisenche heliskiing I guess, missing the tunnel anyway. Some great bumps runs, I always had fun there.

We weren't that impressed with the Tunnel, but we're fussy. We did find a place on mountain , "Chiccos" or "Chiccis" or something which was EXCELLENT. Not cheap, but really, really good. I mean, really beyond the call of necessary good. We very much hope it's still that good as we plan a return visit. You know that we like our nibbles.

The new bubble (Dolonne?) is very smart and terribly efficient. Must be some Swiss-ness spilling over the border as it's most un-Italian. I have a vague recollection that there's a nice hotel nearby, but amn't sure.

Wouldn't leave my kit up a mountain in some pikey locker, anywhere. Spesh not the new kit.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Tavernier is about 200m from the Dolonne lift. It's lovely, too.

http://www.alpharooms.com/tavernier_in_courmayeur.aspx
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Maybe stay down the valley a bit and drive ? Courmayeur has never done it for me. I'd suggest the monte rosa area instead (or anywhere else in the valley), even if you have to pay for the passes. Some of the smaller resorts are excellent fun for the day and the passes are good value.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
david@mediacopy, The whole point was to not have to pay for more lift passes. If we don't like it we won't go back, but I'm sure we can find some reasonable skiing and good food for a couple of days.
nbt, cheers, i was too tired to search last night, Embarassed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen Beaumont, If you have a car then look at Val Ferret and drive to the nearest life 10 mins away. It is a walking valley so they are somewhat surprised to see skiers...
But is very nice, IMV as I don't much like the cramped town of Courmayeur.

The skiing is Italian and therefore typically sunny and cruisey unless you explore
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It will need to be a central hotel or apartment , no driving to the lifts involved. We'll have the dog with us, and will need to pop back during the day at some point. Apartments usually suit us best in that respect.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, You'll have to do that by lift ... it isn't anywhere near ski-in ski out..
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT, I know, but lift then drive would make it even worse.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont, there's little-to-no ski-in accomodation in Courmayeur - there may be one or two places in Dolonne as mentioned, but the vast majority of accomodation is in Courmayeur or the suburb La Palud, bot of which are connected to the ski area only by lift, not by piste. The main autostrada from Turin to Chamonix (via the tunnel) effectively cuts the town off from the skiing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt, I'm aware of that, but don't want to have to drive to the lifts (or rather back again after hubby has had a few beers) . I don't actually recall asking for ski-in ski-out anyway.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen, we stayed at Bouton d'or for a weekend last year. Found it on triparvisor. Nice place, friendly owner, good food and they ran a shuttle to and from the lifts. We went to ski off piste and did one day courmayeur side and the other day on the Toula Glacier. Courmayeur was good. Toula glacier was sensational. Over 2000m vertical and hardly anyone there. The little 8 man cable car at the top is a must. We found food, drink and atmosphere better than in Chamonix. I would recommend you try it out.
snow report
I like Courmayeur. Good food, great coffee, friendly place, the mountain is on the relaxing side rather than challenging but we've had some great days there. Let me know when you're over there, if we're about we might join you!
snow conditions
firebug, that would be great if I can get it organised, it will probably be on our March trip.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Helen Beaumont, we are very pleased that our CHX season passes again include unlimited Courmayeur as it often has the "opposite" weather.

It is funny how different reports of what a resort is like can be...

Skiing is fine, um not terribly challenging unless you seek it out. I understand quite a lot of stuff you can do if you want. Must explore. Good access to Grisenche heliskiing I guess, missing the tunnel anyway. Some great bumps runs, I always had fun there.

We weren't that impressed with the Tunnel, but we're fussy. We did find a place on mountain , "Chiccos" or "Chiccis" or something which was EXCELLENT. Not cheap, but really, really good. I mean, really beyond the call of necessary good. We very much hope it's still that good as we plan a return visit. You know that we like our nibbles.

The new bubble (Dolonne?) is very smart and terribly efficient. Must be some Swiss-ness spilling over the border as it's most un-Italian. I have a vague recollection that there's a nice hotel nearby, but amn't sure.

Wouldn't leave my kit up a mountain in some pikey locker, anywhere. Spesh not the new kit.

A second vote for Chiecco (+39 338 7003035) located just above Plan Checrouit, on the side of Chiecco poma lift.

If you have any chance of going there - seize it. Quite the nicest mountain restaurant I have ever been to.
snow report
jonty, I know of another few places that I like - but Chiecco mixed astoundingly good food and wine - at least the equal of anything I have ever eaten anywhere - with a very warm welcome and genuine charm and enthusiasm for their food.
ski holidays
under a new name, you have me sold on the idea, just going for lunch sounds good, forget the hotel.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy