Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot pre -wearing

Poster: A snowHead
How much pre wear (in the house) should I do on my boots that I'm hoping CEM will make toasty when I see him?

I believe this may be the nerdiest question ever asked on shs.

2nd part - its obviously a bad sign that my feet fit in at all?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, CEM told me that the jury was out on this but said that, in his view, it was a good idea - not so much to 'break in' the boots, but just to get used to the feel of them on one's feet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A good reason for wearing your boots will be to get to know your clip settings .
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, At least a couple of hours a night a week or so before you go. But remember your feet will be hotter indoors Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, Best is just to sleep in them. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderman, my wife objects
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
riverman, click into your skis too, see what she says Little Angel
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Turned out to be a daft question - lasted about 20 mins before I got cramp.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, hmmm, have just had much the same result: pressure on the instep of my bigger foot resulting in numb foot. Shocked Other boot very comfy. (Actually, the first problem is cramming my feet into the boots in the first place. rolling eyes) But I know it's all going to be just FINE. CEM says it will, so it just stands to reason that it will be fine, doesn't it?

Well, doesn't it? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
riverman, clip settings? you don't seriously have a clip setting do you? Your boots are too big if you do.

fatbob, If you're going to see CEM and he does lots of funky stuff too them, I'm not sure I see the point in pre-wearing them as they will be radically different afterwards. Actually, I'm not sure that shuffling around the kitchen in would do any good anyway as it's hardly the same as skiing. I hope not anyway Evil or Very Mad

What's the motivation anyway? Possibly a rationale when boots were a handcrafted synthesis of various parts of dead animals, I don't see it for highly technical fusions of many microscopic dead animals and highly toxic chemicals. That is, unless you subscribe to the theory of abiotic oil...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wear them and offer to do the ironing, you can then stand up and flex etc etc...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd try them out just to help bed in the liners, but I wouldn't be too worried about how I stand in them ...

If you think the cramp is an issue, then maybe a hour or two in the fridge will give you decent idea of what needs tweaking
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
under a new name,
clip settings? you don't seriously have a clip setting do you? Your boots are too big if you do

Why is that then? cant work out why having clip settings means your boots are too big, they have to be clipped down to a certain amount be it the first or last clip , how can you tell his boots are too big from that Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, What geeo, said. My point was that with new boots you need to get used to the adjustment available from your new boots ie if after 20 minutes in your new boots you get numb feet you may have to adjust the clips to see if that helps.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geeo, riverman, what I meant was -

(and I interpreted riverman's comment as meaning he has a single static clip position - number 2 left upper, etc. that he set at 08.30 or whenever and it the clips don't get touched until they're being unclippped)

- in my limited experience, and from limited knowledge, your feet change shape during the day, as does the foam in your boots (from a variety of mechanisms). The only way I can see a single clip setting being comfortable all day is if the boots are too big or, in fairness, not clipped tightly enough.

It is, however, entirely possible that riverman is quite happy with his boots like that - or indeed that I misinterpreted "having a clip setting".

I would be delighted if I could get away with not having to adjust my boots every so often - but sadly that's not the case.

geeo, happy now? snowHead
ski holidays
under a new name,
Quote:

The only way I can see a single clip setting being comfortable all day is if the boots are too big or, in fairness, not clipped tightly enough.

Or if the boots fit perfect and you ski in them more than 2 weeks a year and know how they fit... (i dont think liners change during the day any amount to warrant un/reclipping, feet swell, some peoples more than others and that may cause the need to adjust once or twice a day...

Quote:

It is, however, entirely possible that riverman is quite happy with his boots like that - or indeed that I misinterpreted "having a clip setting".

Or entirely possible you are wrong and that it's your boots that dont fit hence the need to constantly adjust Shocked
snow report
geeo, I don't think so (and by the way I ski around 10 weeks a year these days, used to be more but reality bites, I sort of generally know my way around my pair of boots) - liners do a whole bundle of things during the day - compress, absorb moisture, warm up, cool down, etc. Feet typically swell. Shells change dflex due to changing temps. So a whole bundle of stuff's going on. If your boots are correctly snug, I reckon for most people there will be enough going on that some adjustment will be necessary. Unless their boots are too big in the first place...although that in itself can cause problems.

My boots fits as well as they can be made to given all the circumstances. The fact that the current ones are a shell size too large is immaterial to this discussion.

Anyway, what are we arguing about? I voiced my opinion that if you could clip your boots up once, then your boots were probably too big. Still my opinion. What's the problem with that?
snow report
under a new name, I have the same boots as you, mine are the correct size though, and never change the clip settings.
snow report
I've found that it's the temperature of the boots which makes the biggest difference. If left in a car boot or in a ski depot rolling eyes they'll be hard and cold.

After I bought mine and had an initial round of stretching (by CEM) I wore them at home for an hour the first evening, and they were great. Then the second evening they weren't - they rubbed on my hammer toe (goodness knows why, after having been fine) so another trip to Bicester was required to make them perfect. So I was very glad I'd spent the time in them at home, before it was too late for another round of adjustments.

One odd thing about my new boots is that despite being an entire size smaller than my old ones they are easier to put on, and FAR easier to take off. In fact, I love them to bits. snowHead
snow report
rjs, If mine were the correct size, I'd be changing clips even more often! Next time I will get the correct size though...

pam w, If I don't overnoght mine on their heaters I can't put them on without help. I often have to drive home in them as I can't remove them on a cold day until they warm up again.

The price we pay...
snow report
under a new name, In my original post I talked about clip settings. It was you who decided i was going to have a one clip setting.
ski holidays
Quote:

The fact that the current ones are a shell size too large is immaterial to this discussion.

Quote:

If I don't overnoght mine on their heaters I can't put them on without help. I often have to drive home in them as I can't remove them on a cold day until they warm up again.

under a new name,

What??... so your boots are a shell size too big.... you have to adjust your clips all day.... you can't put them on unless the are very warm and soft... and you can't take them off when it is cold... and you think they fit!!

And I really think that driving in these boots may be a bit dangrous to others... firstly it is stupid 'cos you can't flex your ankles and secondly what is you need to make a clip adjustment on your way home between the accelerator and the brake?
snow report
flangesax, do you think he might be taking the whatsit? Nobody drives in ski boots???
snow report
I wouldn't put money on that!
latest report
pam w wrote:
flangesax, do you think he might be taking the whatsit? Nobody drives in ski boots???

Just watch locals drive up on a powder day Smile Or ski instructors at times !!!!
snow report
riverman, yep. and I have explained I made an assumption about that. If it wasn't what you meant, well, hey, my bad.

flangesax, the shell size too big means they're too long more than anything else. The difficulty in entry and egress is cos they're really quite stiff. They fit better than anything else I've skied in in 40 years. (I hate(!) being able to say that!)

It's not (yawn) dangerous. If you want to adjust your clips you just get the dog to hold the wheel while you bend down. Simples!

pam w, err, I do. Not hard ... probably wouldn't want to do it all day as the dog would get hacked off holding the wheel.
ski holidays
Also depends on the car. Land Rovers are designed to be driven wearing Wellies, so the pedles are huge and far apart. Could drive mine easily in ski boots.
snow report
If his boots were the correct size it would be less of a problem for skiing and driving... wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm with under a new name on the adjustment bit but I'm even more of a gaper than him Confused
snow report
Arno, what's a gaper? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
madmole, I drive an auto. makes it much easier. I have driven an ordinary manual though with no trouble.
latest report
I saw someone riding a horse and leading 4 others in ski boots last year. Interesting...
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
How much pre wear (in the house) should I do on my boots that I'm hoping CEM will make toasty when I see him?

The only reason for 'pre wear'

snow report
Randomsabreur, wow! I wonder if CEM has ever fitted horses with ski boots!
latest report
Liveezy, She shouldnt sit down in her ski boots it will make her feet numb then she'll start complaining. How attractive will she be then? Shocked
latest report
erm, still pretty hot to be fair ; )
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy