Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend to Morzine / Evian Les Bains

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm looking to supplement this year's ski hols to L2A with a cheeky long weekend trip in February to Morzine.

To keep costs down I've been looking at hotels in Evian Les Bains rather than the resort itself. We'll be driving down so it won't be a problem hopping in the car each day to get to the lifts. Can anyone recommend a decent but cheapish hotel in Evian? Alternatively does anyone know of somewhere else in the area which can offer reasonably priced accommodation and quick access to the slopes?

Cheers in advance for any advice.

Tom
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tommy4681, does it have to be Feb, just thinking that that road is going to be a mare Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tommy4681, as long as it is early Feb . French holidays start around the 6th.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did have a plan one year to pre buy cheapest tickets possible to GVA (or spend airmiles), then just book F1/Etap/Ibis @ Thonon a couple of days before. I would assume the road from Thonon up to Morzine (Ardent lifts makes sense) is less busy than the road up from Cluses/Taninges?

The other similar option was Ibis off the Autoroute near Chamonix.

For sure they're not geared up for skiing, but I just had them down as last minute "emergency" places to kip over, possibly with spaces free as late as a few days before leaving. Plus they're the sort of place geared up for arrival at midnight after work on a Friday.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tommy4681, Evian? You're barking mad.

Better would be the IBIS in Thonon. But still mad.

Try Igloo in Morzine. Or, wait a minute, are you having trouble getting accom as it's french school hols? If so, you really, really, really don't want to be there then. We live in Geneva, have a place in Chamonix and are contemplating Morocco for a weekend in Feb.

If it isn't vacances scol. Igloo might work, or Le Grand Tetras. But yes, vacs scol start 6th meaning you're out of luck.

You'd be better skiing somewhere else (not that anywhere in resort in France will be much better, nor will they accept anything other than a Saturday-Saturday weeks booking) and thinking of staying in Sallanches, Taninges, Cluses, etc.

Frankly, ski some other time when you can get a sensible hotel deal.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andy, road from Thonon no better than from Cluses.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or go ski in Switzerland
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have used the Arc en Ciel in Thonon for guests who arrived a day early and could find nowt in resort for 1 night. They thought it was an Ok place.
Would be surprised if you could not find a good deal down at St Jean, or Le Biot if you looked.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DallyPaul, is there anything alive in Le Biot? Ah.. wait a minute, there's that funky renovated place isn't there?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name, Had dinner in the Bar/restaurant a few weeks back, very good food and value.
Was thinking to save Tom 20 to 30 minutes of commute each morning/evening. There are some self catered places that far down the valley that may be well priced in these difficult times.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tommy4681, La Perdrix Blanche in Chatel will do a three night stay, have eaten there at the end of the day, but never stayed , right on top of the chair lift. www.laperdrixblanche.com
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tommy4681, you could consider looking for somewhere in Taninges, which is 15 minutes down the hill from Les Gets. It will also give you access to Samoens / Morillon.

Thonon would certainly be better than Evian.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks, all.

Was looking at the first weekend in Feb (or possibly last in Jan) and therefore avoiding the school hols.

The reasoning for staying out of resort and driving up each day was really to get more bang for my buck. Reasonable hotels in Morzine, Avoriaz, etc all seem to be tres cher for those dates. Will take a look at St Jean, Le Biot, Taninges and Thonon.

Cheers

T
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
radar, during vacances scolaires? Must be the only hotel in France that will...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name, and I thought you were bored with all this!!!
ski holidays
zzz, cheeky git. Going as far off topic as I can, you realise we have the Pro model skis? Yeehah.
snow conditions
under a new name, I only hope we can turn them! Oh no, I forgot, we're not doing that this year.
latest report
zzz, turning is for wimps.

Large lunches, however...
snow report
The Hotel de Savoie(might be Savoy) on the new roundabout between les gets and morzine never had nore than 5 cars in the car park at any one time. Might be full with T/O punters but worth a look. Tried a quick google search but didn't find much give the Morzine tourist office a call.

Good luck

Andy
latest report
Thanks, anderoo. Will take a look.
ski holidays
anderoo, was run by an Irish T/O for a while IIRC.
snow report
anderoo, it's not run as a hotel anymore. It's seasonal worker accomodation
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy