Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bulgarian/ Slovenian skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just looking for a wee bit information on the topic. ta.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been to Pamporovo and rogla, neither are huge but we were beginners so it was fine for a week, snowed every night in pamp and was blue skies every day for 5 days and as it was our first ski holiday we assumed that's how it would always be Smile.

The nice thing about either country is it's cheap so living it up is great, they both have larger resorts than i've visited, but i dont care for the km of piste as most time is spent off it and most mountains are big enough if you explore a bit, have you thought of slovakia? Jasna is pretty decent, plenty of nice off piste and cheap also.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kill_reign,
Actually learnt to ski in Slovenia a long time ago, when it was, reluctantly according to the locals, then a part of Yugoslavia. Kranjska Gora was a fun place and the Bohinj area had some stunning scenery as well. The atmosphere on the slopes was really good, a bit Austrian, a bit Italian and it was very, very cheap. I have a 500,000 dinar note somewhere that was worth £10 on the day I got it and £5 by the end of the holiday, so I decided to keep it as a souvenir. I think they are in the euro now (?) so it probably does'nt apply. Even though I believe the ski areas have been expanded and modernised I don't think they are very extensive but I guess it depends what you want. I would certainly go back if the opportunity came about.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skitow, yep Slovenia's certainly in the euro, as is Slovakia too (which I only found out yesterday when I got handed one in change).

Easyjet fly to Ljubljana (at least in summer), which must be only about 1 hr from the ski resorts (bit more to Bovec on the Italian border). No idea if they fly there in winter too?

Certainly scenic, and top notch hospitality, and well cheap.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I`m an allright skier, but am planning on going with the mrs and another couple that are completer beginners really so the extent of the ranges doesnt matter that much. I like the idea of Slovenia as its not in the press as much as Bulgaria and get the impression it wont be as built up? I like the idea of that kinda thing and I love going to places that are a bit off the beaten track. They keep coming up with deals for Bulgaria though and money is an issue as they want cheapness and I`ve allready got an advanced guided week in Feburary booked and maybes something else in the pipeline for March.

Just off to google up jasna the now for a wee peek. ta.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Use the 'Search Facility' on this site to check out Bulgarian resorts. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kill_reign, I have been to Bansko a few times and if you get decent snow conditions the mountain isn't bad. They even have some decent off-piste if you know where to look. The ski schools, believe it or not, are also really good.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kill_reign wrote:

Just off to google up jasna the now for a wee peek. ta.

Don't forget Jasna is in Slovakia, not Slovenia. You're not the only one to confuse them, George W Bush did the same:

http://www.ljubljana-life.com/ljubljana/slovenia-slovakia

Slovenia has stunning scenery, I stayed in the Lake Bohinj area one September for walking, sightseeing, etc.

I saw the lift installations at Vogel and Kobla, not huge areas and it's a long way to visit the other worthwhile areas at Kranjska Gora, Bovec and Krvavec.

Prices were very reasonable 4 years ago when they still had the Tolar and before Sterling slid.

Ljubljana and Lake Bled were also pretty and I'd definitely recommend Slovenia for a visit, just don't expect too much from the skiing. Probably a bit like a pretty, slightly rustic, off-the-beaten-track area in neighbouring Italian Friuli or Austrian Carinthia.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some random thoughts about Slovenia:

Bovec / Kanin has upgraded its ski resorts significantly for this winter with the finishing of the link (by cable car and piste) to Salle Nevea over in Italy. Great area with stunning scenery (rocky limestone massifs) and sometimes a view to the Adriatic! (with very clear sky).

If you are into skiing man made snow in low, wooden areas Maribor (famous for hosting the women's WC) might suit you. Maribor itself is a nice, bustling city. The resorts has been upgrading (modernising lifts, some new pistes, very efficient snow making system) for years now.

Don't take for granted that there will be no people. Though the number of Brits will be minimal for sure, there are some skiers from other countries over here in Europe as well Smile.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are going with complete beginners I would recommend Slovenia rather than Slovakia, maybe just my view but I found it hard to find instructors in Slovakia as a lot of them spoke Russian rather than English where as there was an official school in each resort I've been to in Slovenia. I've been to Rogla, Kranjska Gora, Krvavec and Vogel. Kranjska Gora is pretty popular with Brits, the others not so much.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good point about the language. Everyone we came across were at least tri-lingual (Slovene, English, and either Italian or German depending on whether we were in Bovec or near Austria). And in Ljubljana, make that at least quadri-lingual. Except the old chap in one shop in Kobarid. No idea what the skiing is like, but I'm definitely going back for more mountain biking. Would probably ski 2-3 days each in different areas, rather than a week in one place.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can't write about Bulgaria, but at least I can write few words about my home country Smile There are quite few resorts, even though none can compare to big Austrian, Swiss or French resorts. Prices are quite low compared to Austrian, for example day ticket on bigger resorts (Kranjska Gora, Krvavec, Rogla, Maribor) is around 25eur. As far as skiing goes, I would suggest and of bigger resorts except for Maribor. Sure it's nice city, there's also great surrounding, but ski resorts is everything but great... even if they have women WC every year. Next to that, it's really low, so with a bit of "luck" you might be without snow.
Rogla is really great place, with hotel on top, and spa on bottom. Both hotels (on top at ski resort, and spa and hotel under Rogla) are owned by same company, so you can actually go down on afternoon... of course if spa is something you would like Smile But "bad" thing with Rogla is, that it's quite far from Ljubljana and airport, and it's quite isolated.
Next one is Krvavec. It's just about 20km from Ljubljana, 5km from airport (and 10km from my home Smile ). But it's really just skiing place nothing else. There are lifts on top of hill, and there's nothing else. There is few B&B in villages under Krvavec, but you can forget about any apres ski there.
And last one is Kranjska Gora. This would actually be my choice. It's about 60km from airport (another 15km to Ljubljana), 30km from Bled, 60km from Bohinj (if you would want to go for some sightseeing). Skiing place ranges from easy slopes for beginners to WC course where men WC (GS and SL) is hosted every year. You can get anything from hotels to simple B&B. On top of that, there's around 50km of (normally) well prepared xc skiing track going from Kranjska Gora all the way through Planica (just under biggest ski jumping hill on World) to valley of Tamar, which is one of nicest places on nice sunny winter day. And what is best, if you get sick of skiing in Kranjska Gora, you have few resorts in Austria (Dreilandereck is just over hill, so you are there in 10km, Bad Kleinkircheim is about 50km away, Gerlitzen even closer, and Nassfeld, my favorite ski place ever, is around 50 or 60km away), and in Italy (Tarvisio is just 10-15km off).
Next to these, you have whole bunch of smaller resorts, but I guess for week or 2 of holidays, they are not really best solution.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lots of very interesting info there, thank you very much everyone.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy