Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hinterglemm/Saalbach?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

My wife and I are trying to get a ski trip organised for January 23rd, for 7 nights.

I want to go to Austria and was thinking about Saalbach/Hinterglemm or Solden.

What are people's thoughts on these? I am drawn to Hinterglemm. I like the quantity of runs in the area and the fact it has good intermediate/advanced terrain, but I have not been as low in altitude as that before (1050m). The last few years I have done St Anton, but I am looking for something less expensive, and more geared towards upper-intermediates so my wife can progress.

All your thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks

Phil
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Both Solden and Saalbach-Hinterglemm are great for apres and nightlife. Solden is very snowsure with 2 glaciers and Obergurgl is easy to get to for a day if you fancy a change (you could use your Solden pass for 1 day at Obergurgl for no charge last time I was there). Saalbach-Hinterglemm is more snowsure than the elevation would suggest. Have a look at the S-H webcams at the moment. snowHead

Solden isn't the prettiest town. The main road up to Obergurgl goes through the centre of town and it can be fairly busy, while Saalbach and Hinterglemm both have much larger pedestrianised areas. Almost all the runs in S-H are tree lined, whereas the runs in Solden are mostly above the treeline.

There isn't much in either Solden or S-H which would frighten an early intermediate. Both would be absolutely ideal (Obergurgl also).

Personally I'd go for S-H over Solden (I'm going to S-H again this year) but you would also have a great holiday in Solden.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pallen, I wouldn't worry too much about the altitude at that time of year, it would be very unusual to have any snow problems at that time in the season. We almost exclusively ski Austria, almost exclusively at 'low altitude' resorts like Saalbach, and have never had any snow problems in Jan, Feb or March.

With that in mind, I would recommend you try Saalbach-Hinterglemm for your trip. It has more varied terrain than Solden and is IMO a much nicer place to stay. The skiing at S-H will also give you a nice feeling of travelling around the ski circus which spans both sides of the valley. Solden is obviously high and the glacier is snowsure, but being honest, I think S-H is much nicer. Both Saalbach and Hinterglemm are nice and quite traditional in feel. Solden is a big strung along a busyish main road, and it does have a reputation for rowdy nightlife, which may be a pro or a con, depending on whether that is the sort of thing you look for!

However, S-H isn't the only contender that would suit. For what you are looking for, I would also recommend the Ski Amade resorts, particularly Schladming, Gastein and Flachau/Wagrain. Loads of terrain all on one ski pass.

D
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pallen, 1050m isn't low - they have a good snow record, and extensive snowmaking facilities. In January 2006/07, which was a very bad year in a lot of places, they were down to 40cm on the upper slopes and 15cm on the lower slopes during January, but averaged 70cm/30cm in February. In a good year, it will be 140cm/80cm, and on Austrian meadows 10cm is enough for adequate conditions. The average is 100/50cm for the last week in Jan.

There's also some variation depending on the aspect, so with the area around Saalbach and Hinterglemm, there will be something even in the worst years. If it really goes wrong, T/Os have been known to run buses to the glacier at Kaprun, 25km away, but then that gets overloaded.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the great replies.

Although my wife is intermediate, I am an advanced skier. If I was to be unkind enough to leave my wife with a coffee and wanted to rip it up for a bit, are there enough blacks/moguls/steeps for me to get wear myself out on? Very Happy

Ah, the uncertanties of going somewhere new!

Also, I was looking at going half board through someone like Crystalski. Is this a good way to book, or can you recommend better/cheaper companies who can arrange the flight/transfer/acommodation combo?

Thanks,

Phil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for Saalbach. (although Solden is on my wish list)

Saalbach is excellent. Beautiful scenery, lots of long runs with continuous steepness so not many flats as it often happens in other resorts, plenty of modern chairs and gondolas. And apres-ski - just out of this world. Mountain huts and food is also very good and reasonably priced.

Saalbach have a very good snow record. Last 2 seasons were exceptionally good in terms of snow for this part of Austria.

I went to Saalbach after two trips to France and was shocked how good this place is. Highly recommended.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pallen,
Quote:

are there enough blacks/moguls/steeps for me to get wear myself out on?

Define "enough" - the area is big, but it is described as an intermediates paradise for a reason: there are only 6 black runs in the whole valley, but they're good ones (4km long enough to wear yourself out?). Off-piste is described as "limited" by the SCGB resort guide...

Get some brownie points - stay with your wife for most of the time!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A 4km black run is probably enough, but as you say, I am not going to run off and leave my wife on her own!

Any thoughts about what accomodation to look at and who to book through?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you want everything arranged by one company, then Crystal, Neilson, et al are your best way forward. However, if you are prepared to do it DIY, then you'll probably get it cheaper and with less time spent on transfers - see the town website for accommodation: http://www.saalbach.com and then use Google to find a local taxi company who can do a private transfer. From Salzburg via Germany takes about 45 minutes, or 2 hours on a coach (assuming the coach doesn't sit at the airport waiting for another flight...)

Easyjet fly to Salzburg from Gatwick for £130 return per person at current prices.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pallen, I've been to both resorts and can thoroughly recommend either of them.

I went to Solden in Jan 2007. As others have said its based on glacier skiing, so conditions should always be good. Admittedly it is a bit of an effort to get over to the glacier, not quite as simple as one or two gondolas up, but fun enough skiing to get over there. The resort is pretty lively in terms of apres-ski.

Went to Hinterglemm Feb 2009; like you I was somewhat concerned with the relatively low resort height but needn't have been, this was confirmed when we flew into Salzburg airport and there was huge amounts of snow on the ground even there. The ski area in Hinterglemm/Saalbach is decent, however the one let down I found of it was that both sides of the valley aren't really linked all that well; to get from one side and up the other its typically a 5 minute walk through the village to the lifts. Not a great problem for sure, but I'd gone hoping you could ski down almost straight to lifts on both sides of the valley. Its a minor point though.

Nightlife in hinterglemm was ok; the Goatstall apres bar was a cracker, there's a few other bars but the busier nightlife is to be had in Saalbach. Either way, there's ski buses in between the two, we even got a cab one night which was pretty reasonable.

Of the two, I'd probably choose Hinterglemm/Saalbach as it seemed to be a bigger ski area. There's a nice long blue run down into Vorderglemm which is well worth a go.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a feeling someone will be along in the wee hours of tomorrow morning to give you advice wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dav, if you do the whole circuit anti-clockwise, you can ski round without having to walk at all. The long blue from Schattberg down to Vorderglemm links straight to the lift up the other side, and the far side of Hinterglemm is piste/lift connected too. It's only if you want to cross from north to south at the actual village locations that you have to walk, due to there being, well, a village in the way! And if you ski the circuit clockwise you have to cross to Schattberg through the village as well I guess. I've always thought it's a shame you can't truly ski the circuit in both directions, although I also like that the long blue down to Vorderglemm is away from any lifts, it's nice and peaceful, especially in the morning.

D
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Deliaskis, yes, you're right, you can do the circuit of course, I was only thinking about the linking of the village runs. Though the one day we tried to do the full circuit we were foiled as there had been so much snow the night before that the upper lifts were closed! I was skiing on-piste powder well over my boots; a good problem to have though!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pallen, we stayed there over new year a couple of years back and chose to stay in Hinterglemm. As Dav, mentioned it is a bit of a chew but only a minor irritation crossing north to south but it is a nice ski area/resort. We booked everything indepentantly picking a car up at the airport as we usually do and booked an excellent apartment at The Hotel Hinterglemm on B&B terms but ended up eating there most nights too. I would recommend it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tom W,
Quote:

and was shocked how good this place is

Why be shocked?... dare i say that Saalbach is just one of many awesome Austrian areas in and around Salzburgerland.

Tom W, The 'ease' of booking through a TO will certainly offer you piece-of-mind and certainly should (whether it does or not is a whole other thread) give you confidence... however there are loads of guest houses, hotels, BnB's all around. Some offer great value half-board prices. Just have a look through the Saalbach webiste and put in a few accommodation requests.

Transfer time is about 2 hours from Salzburgand can sometimes be a bit slow on a Saturday as the road that leads from the A10 motorway down to S/H also serves St.Johann/Alpendorf, Zell am See, Kaprun, the Gasteins plus a couple of others too.

We have got some snowHead 's comng out to us that week! The more the merrier!
snow conditions
Pallen, forgot to mention; we booked our trip through Neilson. We stayed at the Hotel Reisinger in Hinterglemm, literally just across the road from one of the main gondolas. We had flights from LGW, transfer and half-board accommodation for just over £500, which was mid-February 2009, very reasonable I thought. The hotel is listed as only 2 stars in Neilson's guide but it's much better than that, and probably gets the rating from looking a bit dated inside. Our rooms were actually triples with big balconies, much recommended.
ski holidays
Oi Flangesax,
How about the Night-race/ Snowheads bash you were thinking about a couple of months ago !! Are you still thinking or do we have to track you down and gate-crash .Can't wait to get out just have to come up with the t/o lolly by end of November.

Pallen, would you think of Schladming- Crystal have reasonable prices at the mo for that week and you could take in The Night Race which I'm assures by other S/H is "awesome". Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

I have a feeling someone will be along in the wee hours of tomorrow morning to give you advice

(Delayed reaction) I woudn't dare, Cathy!
Pallen, Oh, maybe I would. I have put together a 'Rough Guide' on S-H, covering such things as flights, transfers, skiing, apres-ski and where to find the best goulash soup. If you would like me to e-mail it to you, PM me your e-mail. (Incidentally, I noticed that Ryanair is currently offering flights for £4.99 with no taxes, charges or check-in fees to Linz, Klagenfurt and Memmingen, all a do-able train journey to nearby Zell am See.)
ski holidays
Skied S-H four times now, great area even a few seasons ago when it was dire across Europe the piste management was excellent. Usually stay in the Hotel Adler in Hinterglemm, excellent accommodation and the food is awsome. Adler is also ideal for the Reiterkogel lift and just round from the Goatstall which is jumping from around 3.30. If you can find the Pfferalm mountain hut I highly recommend the gluhwein mit amaretto, a few of those wait until dark and ski down to the Goat to carry on. Generally most of the mountain restaurants are of a high standard and as others have said you can ski the entire circuit and also check your mileage via an online portal linked to your pass.

Enjoy
snow conditions
whats it like in saalbach for snow the end of march? we have just booked up for the 20th and was just wondering
latest report
We went to s/h last year (09) on march 23 for four days. It snowed solidly for almost the entire time we were there.
In fact the pistes had too much snow on them, so don't worry about ski in march
latest report
I was there at the end of March 2007, yes this was a very bad year for snow, but we arrived after the biggest dump of that season and had a fabulous week full of snow and sun.
I think even if it's gonna be a very warm March they will still have plenty open.
Last 2 years were exceptionally good.

I was in one of the Salzburgerland resorts on the 1st of April last year and there were masses of powder.

This year seems a bit thin in terms of snow in the area but looks like Saalbach is still doing quite well.

At the end of March, however, apres-ski is a bit tame.
ski holidays
daveqpr, Last year, March was exceptional, you can't use what happened last year to generalise.

But even so, with a village height of 1050m, it should be pretty sure of snow in Austria at that time of year.

And Tom W, yes the skiing on piste was good right down to Saalbach last week when I was there for a day (and all the way down to Leogang on the other side of the mountain).
ski holidays
I've just returned from 3 weeks there. Yes, snow is shallower than in the last two seasons but still ample for decent piste skiing. I had a text yesterday that they've just had more snow. As they say on ther website, they don't need a thick covering to cover the largely grassy slopes and provide good skiing. Having said that I skiied in knee-deep powder down Schattberg on Xmas Day.
Regarding March the one thing that is predictable is that the weather will be unpredictable! Could be cold and snowy or warm and slushy - but the same goes for many resorts This season the wind has kep alternating between southerly and "foehnig", and northerly and bitterly cold. They've been seizing every opportunity to make more snow when it's been cold enough, and there is unlikely to be a problem with low snow depths - the snow cannons seemed to be roaring away almost constantly when I was there. I think that the worst that could happen in late March is that you might get a spell of warm weather and end up skiing the south-facing runs in the morning, the other slopes in the early afternoon and finishing earlier in the day than usual- having said that, the locals enthuse about Spring skiing conditions.
The season ends on 11th April.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy