Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes or Alpe d'Huez Advice Please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, some advice needed, if you can help.

My brother in law has landed himself a job with Crystal for the season and is waiting to hear what resort he gets, he has requested either Tignes or Alpe d’Huez, I was hoping to pop out the either resort late Jan departing Wednesday 20th for a few days coming back on Sunday 24th and was looking for some advice on very cheap digs and transfers,

I can get a flight into Chambery from Brum for about £160 including snowboard which I think will be fine for both resorts.

It seems cheaper to hire a car for the transfer and split the bill between 4 than the bus which seems to be around 70euros each, or is there a cheaper bus?

I have found some dig in Tignes (Chalet Chardon) which seems nice and cheap has any one stopped here? Is there any other super cheap digs?
I have not found any super cheap digs in Alpe d’Huez any advice welcome
I am estimating around £500 each for the trip including 3 day’s lift pass’s can this be beaten using a big operator?

Hope you can help
Paul
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Super cheap in Tignes? The Youth Hostel.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry to jump in but im a interested spectator on this thread as Ive done the last 3 trips to Tignes and going to ADH next winter.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bluenose75, any idea how likely it is that he'd get one of those? I imagine that nearly everyone will prefer one of the better-known, larger resorts but obviously someone has to work in <insert small resort you don't like here>.

If I were you I wouldn't waste too much time investigating until the resort's confirmed.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
might be worth calling up the ADH tourist office -i'm sure there was some sort of bunker type place. might be the Foyer du Ski de Fond shown here:

http://www.alpedhuez.com/hiver/fr/29/20/gÎtes.html

the Florineige on that page looks quite nice although getting back to Huez after a night on the sauce would be a bit tedious
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alan empty wrote:
Bluenose75, any idea how likely it is that he'd get one of those? I imagine that nearly everyone will prefer one of the better-known, larger resorts but obviously someone has to work in <insert small resort you don't like here>.

If I were you I wouldn't waste too much time investigating until the resort's confirmed.

Hi, he will deffo get either resort they were his two options, he finds out Nov and leaves Dec 7th.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Renry wrote:
Sorry to jump in but im a interested spectator on this thread as Ive done the last 3 trips to Tignes and going to ADH next winter.

How much did you pay for transfers from the airport to Tignes?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For ADH you could take a campervan to the site by the altiport
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bluenose75, don't book anything until he's finished training. If he's asked for Tignes or Alpe d'Huez, they'll probably put him in Isola 2000.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard wrote:
Bluenose75, don't book anything until he's finished training. If he's asked for Tignes or Alpe d'Huez, they'll probably put him in Isola 2000.

there speaks the voice of wisdom - of course not everyone always makes it through training week...I wonder if that number might go up a bit this year when the TO's think they might want less staff due to less bookings.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have done a season in both resorts, as well as going back to visit friends on various holidays so will try to help:

We stayed in the Grotte du Yeti in ADH which was lively (massively loud bar connected to the hotel) but was by far the cheapest place we could find. You could check out www.wastelandski.com but I think we paid something like £130pp for a week which actually included our lift pass too - seemed suspiciously cheap at the time but all was fine. It's simple and has no food, but clean and very centrally located.

Don't think there's a direct non-taxi transfer option to ADH from Chambery, most operations will run from Grenoble - www.bensbus.co.uk is the one we used and was a simple bus journey.

Again, you'll struggle to find a simple bus transfer to Tignes during the week so a car might work out. Bear in mind you'll probably have to pay for parking though which can be up to 150 euros a week. Les Brevieres (where Chalet Chardon is has free parking though) The train to Bourg St Maurice and then a bus/taxi might be an option you could consider? For the return journey on a Sunday you could use www.snowbus.co.uk or the public bus service www.altibus.com.

I've heard good things about Chalet Chardon but just bear in mind that you will be in the Les Brevieres part of Tignes while your brother will almost certainly be in the main part. You can ski up and down from Brev, but after dark there are no easy travel routes and you'd probably have to rely on taxis if you wanted to go out together. Brev is the most beautiful of the Tignes villages definitely though so don't let this put you off!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bluenose75, I've actually stayed in Chalet Chardons in Les Brevieres..... Main Chalet Chardons is more like a hostel with bunks in rooms.... we were put into a sister hotel over the road run by two very old french ladies who were very sweet and kept out of everyones way. Rooms were twin bedded and very simple with a tardis contraption in the corner which was a shower ( never seen anything like it before ) but water was hot and plentiful and it did the trick.
Food was home cooked and simple but loads of it and never went hungry at all. If you end up staying there opt for the white wine at dinner as everyone else tends to chose red and you end up with a carafe to yourself Shocked
Main age range was between 20 - 30 but some of us were older and everyone mixed in and had fun.

If you're simply looking for somewhere to rest a weary body, with good food and a good atmosphere and more interested in the skiing / boarding than 5 star luxury I am sure you will have a great time especially at the prices they charge.
Getting to and from Les Brev after dark is not easy and agree with dean_moriarty, in that you wold need to use taxis if out in Tignes itself.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just a couple of things - he's working for Crystal (poor bug) - wait & see where they send him, then look for acomm.
Re transfer - could he get you on Crystal's transfer coach? - get him to investigate when he gets into resort.
ski holidays
 Jan Henderson
Jan Henderson
Stayed at the Chardons early December last year - I can echo what Bobblehat says. Cheap and very cheerful - plenty of food and drink, very good value and a nice bunch of people.
Gatting back late is the main consideration, I would think - Les Brev is a fair distance down the road from Tignes. There are buses, but not sure how late they run.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jan Henderson wrote:
Stayed at the Chardons early December last year - I can echo what Bobblehat says. Cheap and very cheerful - plenty of food and drink, very good value and a nice bunch of people.
Gatting back late is the main consideration, I would think - Les Brev is a fair distance down the road from Tignes. There are buses, but not sure how late they run.

Until mid-night in main season, until approx 5pm low season. In both cases only to Boisses, not Brevieres.
latest report
 Jan Henderson
Jan Henderson
There's definitely a bus stop in the free car park at the entrance to Brevieres - maybe it's just the service back down the hill to Bourg St Maurice, now I think of it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy