Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many pairs of Goggles/Lenses do I need?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

I need to get some new goggles for my ski trips at the end of Jan (France) and mid March (Austria). I've searched around the forums a bit, checked out various websites and decided to go for the Oakley A-Frame.

My confusion is what lenses to go for? Do I go for one frame with interchangeable lenses or two pairs or even three frames? I suppose what this boils down to is the simplicity of changing lenses on the mountain and where to store them when skiing. I read on one forum that the A-frames are replaceable lenses and not designed to be interchangeable.

For low light I think a pair of A-Frames with Persimmon sound good and they had a good review in Fall Line Ski Mag this month. What other lenses do you suggest and is it best to go for multiple pairs of lenses or frames?

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cyberil,

My preference is for 2 frames each with a different lens. extra frames are a tad bulkier than lenses but its easier IMO to change goggles than lenses if the conditions change enough. Dont think I'd carry 3 goggles though.
These are the lenses I have used and how I found them.
For really low light (Whiteout conditions) the Oakley HI yellow (sometimes called HI blue) is awesome, you might only have a few metres visibility but at least you'll have some definition. It has no protection if the sun comes out.
Persimmon is good general purpose will improve definition in darker conditions and offer some protection in brighter ones.
Bolle Vermillion is similar usefulness to persimmon.
Bolle vermillion Gun (Mirrored) really at best in bright light and clear conditions I find if the light gets flat with this lens it does not have enough transmission to give definition.
A lot of people use sunglasses when its bright and only go for the goggles in flat light.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I stick to one lens and thats the Addidas RST Silver. I've had a fair few different lenses and found this to be a cracking all rounder, with regards to very low light, no matter what I've used (even HI yellow) I've still been able to see precisely naff all so I'm not going to buy a second lens any time soon. I really feel unless you have the money to burn, read the reviews on the all rounders and purchase the best, my preference as I say is the Addidas RST Silver, but you may won't be able to get them into a pair of Oakleys.....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cyberil, I have got Oakley O-Frames and do swap lenses. I have Persimmon, Black Iridium and Clear spare lenses for them.

I don't know whether A-Frames are as easy to change though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't waste you money on Oakley's. Get a pair of smith regulators with the platinum tint lense. The only goggles you'll ever need so long as you look after them properly.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have the Adidas Yodai with 2 interchangeable lenses. They're really easy to change, just pop in and out. I only wear goggles not sunnies as I wear contacts and goggles are easier for me with them.

Their lenses are here, scroll down to the bottom of the page: http://www.vision3k.com/adidas-ski-goggles.asp
I have the orange for flat light, they're really good. And another for bright conditions, I think perhaps the LST Trail. That page is good for showing you the level of protection and the amount of light absorbed by each lens
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've always found a single pair of good goggles and a pair of good sunglasses are all I need, the sunnies for good weather and the goggles for flat light or snowy conditions, but it's personal preference, I'd avoid having changeable lenses as I think it's just one more thing to get damaged/lost
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
frank4short wrote:
Don't waste you money on Oakley's. Get a pair of smith regulators with the platinum tint lense. The only goggles you'll ever need so long as you look after them properly.

x2

Smith > Oakley no contest
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno et al - you should give the smith gold lite lens a go too. Easy enough to change over in the morning if it's looking a bit gopping outside and superb. Not too shabby if it clears a bit as well.

Can't compare with oakley goggles as i can't get the frames to fit my fat head, but smith are on a par with their sunnies.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Used to have Smith, then Scott now Oakley. Their wisdoms are/were the only ones that let me breath through my nose when I wore them.

Great lenses too and support is second to none.

You'll need a pair to match each outfit, natch. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc, you should try their new Splices, seriously comfy, based around the Crowbars and the pressure around the nose is really minimal.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all your replies. I've now come across the Smith I/O which have a very easy system of interchangeable lenses. Quite pricey but they come with 2 lenses. Any comments?

http://www.smithoptics.com/I-O_11_939.html?fl=flase

Paul
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go for the ones that fit you comfortably. No good people recommending a certain pair if they're gonna squish your nose/face and make life uncomfortable for you.

I've got A-Frames. First pair I got have Black Iridium lenses for the brighter days, and I've just got myself another pair with HI Persommon lenses for the lower light days. Did have an old pair (can't remember the make) with yellow lenses but I hated them, my eyes just didn't seem to be able to pick much out in the snow with them whatever the light levels.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cyberil, haven't used the I/Os - they look pretty cool though. I have Prodigies - lenses are interchangable but not quite so easily as the I/Os. I have 3 lenses which i have acquired over the years. The most recent lens was the sensor mirror which is versatile enough to work in all the conditions I encountered last year so the others are effectively redundant.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I never used them. But Smith goggles get reviewed well consistently.
If the lens change is as easy as it looks and you get 2 lenses go for it. Probably works out at the same as my 2 goggles (about £150).
The 2 lenses that come with them look like a sensible selection at 35% and 70% transmission you should have lenses for all conditions there.
I think they are well worth a look

The 2 goggles I use at the moment are a little too extreme at either end. One is awesome in white out but unwearable in any sun the other is only useful in bright sun.
The HI yellow I use has 81% transmission and the Bolle Vermillion Gun is 22%.
I'd not trade the HI yellow for anything in a white out but the Vermillion Gun I'd gladly change for a more generally useful lens around 35% transmission with a pink or orange tint which would be perfect for most conditions especially when the light is changeable.
ski holidays
I have one pair of Smith's with a rose tint lense. I have always found that it does the trick for all light conditions.
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
frank4short wrote:

x2

x3 (prodigys in my case)

I take a pair of the "free" fall line Scotts on holiday with me just in case, and a 15 year old pair of Bolle sunglasses in my pack/jacket
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
Arno wrote:
frank4short wrote:

x2

x3 (prodigys in my case)

I take a pair of the "free" fall line Scotts on holiday with me just in case, and a 15 year old pair of Bolle sunglasses in my pack/jacket
Staotsbrother, What are the free one's like. I'm waiting for mine to be delivered. Although they claim they're worth £90 I'm suspicious that they're only good as a spare. What lenses do they have?
snow report
Got some Anon Helix goggles. They came with 2 lenses, Gold for low light and silver mirror for the better days.
I found changing over was pretty straighforward once I got the knack.. So I don't see the point in having several frames. I like to board light so the extra bulk would be a pain for me..
snow conditions
cyberil wrote:
Staotsbrother, What are the free one's like. I'm waiting for mine to be delivered. Although they claim they're worth £90 I'm suspicious that they're only good as a spare. What lenses do they have?

While I don't know what they are actually like, that range do generally retail at £89 in places like EB and S&R.
ski holidays
RPF wrote:
I never used them. But Smith goggles get reviewed well consistently.
If the lens change is as easy as it looks and you get 2 lenses go for it. Probably works out at the same as my 2 goggles (about £150).
The 2 lenses that come with them look like a sensible selection at 35% and 70% transmission you should have lenses for all conditions there.
I think they are well worth a look

The 2 goggles I use at the moment are a little too extreme at either end. One is awesome in white out but unwearable in any sun the other is only useful in bright sun.
The HI yellow I use has 81% transmission and the Bolle Vermillion Gun is 22%.
I'd not trade the HI yellow for anything in a white out but the Vermillion Gun I'd gladly change for a more generally useful lens around 35% transmission with a pink or orange tint which would be perfect for most conditions especially when the light is changeable.
I think Bolle do/did a "vermillion modulator" lens that changes tint depending on the light level.
snow report
As i am getting a helmet for the first time this year i am also looking at goggles. My first plan was to get a hi-yellow lens for my oakley a-frames but they cost about £60 which kinda ruled it out for me. Doing a bit of research into extra lenses adidas are a lot cheaper than others and easy to source (which is good if you happen to break them). I haven't found much into how good they are for very low light though - does anybody have any thoughts? I also like the look of the smith I/Os with 2 lenses (the sensor mirror comes highly recommended by many for low light conditions) but then also tempted by the turbo fans.
snow conditions
slowphil, I have a Giro G10 and Addidas Yodais with the LST Silver lenses. As I say I find them ideal for all conditions, if you can get any info on their specific low lights and they are cheap I'd go for them.
snow report
peura, They do indeed. Never tried it. Its not very expensive (relatively) £55 RRP last year IIRC for the Bolle Nova.
Transmission adjusts between 26%-66%. Also available in Citrus (aka yellow). It would be nice to get some feedback on them if they were any good.
snow conditions
Smith Gold lite for years, no worries most weather conditions until they leak.

There's a hell of lot of posing and fashion > functionality in goggles. I've even found £10 Tchibos fine (& they are TUV certified).
ski holidays
buy whatever goggles fit your head/face the best. If you wear a helmet, take it with you when trying the goggles on.
personally I only use 1 lens 90% of the time, not sure of the name, but it is a persimmon type. I change to a mirrored dark lens in the spring, and only on cloudless days.
snow report
wbsr wrote:
buy whatever goggles fit your head/face the best. If you wear a helmet, take it with you when trying the goggles on.
personally I only use 1 lens 90% of the time, not sure of the name, but it is a persimmon type. I change to a mirrored dark lens in the spring, and only on cloudless days.

got it in one.

I suppose the question really is not how many pairs of goggles do you need rather how many you want and can afford.

Most people who have been skiing a while will accumulate vast amounts of kit- we have a cupboardfull with more on top- I wouldn't like to count the numbers of kids googles and sunglasses we have.

We usually use the same googles and have sunnies for sitting out in the sunshine.

In general though a spare pair of googles is really handy -not for varying conditions but in case someone drops theirs, or wipes out and gets totally steamed up. Same with gloves- really useful to have a spare pair in a group- the difference between no problem at all and going home early.
snow report
No real need to spend a fortune on eyewear.

When it's cold (really cold!) and poor weather, then use anyone's decent goggles with a yellow/persimmon/red lens - make sure it's a double lens as this reduces fogging.

In all other conditions, use a pair of glasses with interchangeable lenses: but there is no need to pay a fortune for these from smith/bolle/oakley/etc, I find the offerings from less well-known suppliers to be just as good, and for the last few years I've been using Dixons Eyeware: it works as well as much more expensive brands but also say they can supply any part as a spare (although I've not had need to test this). They are usually at the ski shows.

http://dixoneyewear.com/

No contact except as a (very) happy customer.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 14-10-09 19:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RPF wrote:
peura, They do indeed. Never tried it. Its not very expensive (relatively) £55 RRP last year IIRC for the Bolle Nova.
Transmission adjusts between 26%-66%. Also available in Citrus (aka yellow). It would be nice to get some feedback on them if they were any good.
I wasn't sure what frame you had so I didn't know if they made them for your frame. I have Bolle Nova frames and last year bought the modulator vermilion lens only for £20. I thought they were ok (no worse than the normal vermilion) for the weather we had (mostly "wall to wall" cloud). I did struggle when the cloud came descended piste level but thought that normal. However, I've never tried a Hi-yellow (citrus) so I don't know what I'm missing. I'd intended using polarized sunnies if the sky was blue but never got the chance Sad .
EDIT: mind you I don't ski very fast so maybe I don't need to look as far ahead as some folk Toofy Grin
ski holidays
peura, cheers. I dont have the Novas I cant remember which model they are but dont think lens changes.
latest report
ive got some spy blizzard goggles that came with 2 lenses. Really pleased with them. In both high and low light conditions. Easy to change lenses.
snow conditions
Agree with the points about fit. I tried various Smith and Adidas models but none of them sat comfortably on my face and / or fitted properly with my helmet.

Consequently, went for Oakley A frames with bog standard persimmon lenses.

Based on a few weeks last season in various conditions this is a very good all purpose lense. Could perhaps do with something slightly more contrast enhancing in a white out and maybe a touch darker in very bright sun, but these are very minor deficiencies. Won't be buying anything else for a good few seasons!
latest report
RPF, that's a shame, it's relativity cheap to try different lens if they're interchangable. I made sure I got a pair that allowed me to "carry a spare", after an unfortunate meeting with a "snow snake" Embarassed and subsequent face-plant left me with the choice of skiing down without googles or peering through the fractured lens Confused . My replacements were Bolle's modulator vermilion. You've left me wondering if I should try to find a "lemon" lens for the really bad days. They might have helped me avoid that "snow snake" Laughing.
ski holidays
this may sound daft, but for folk who use interchangeable lenses, where do you keep your "spare" lens? Just in your pack in the goggle baggy?
snow report
barry, MY spare is an older lense that I swapped out so not too precious about it. It has an annoying smear which is hardly anything but would bug me if I wore it all the time. Good enough to get me home though. I do wrap the spare lense up in a spare hat and stuff as well as the lenses bag
I also now take the free Falline Scotts out sometimes...but you do have to 'protect' these sort of things when carrying in a pack.

I have used Spy for years and they have been great... and run low light all the times. Also carry backup sunnies to cover all bases.
snow report
I bought the Bolle X9 OTG Goggle last season with the modulator Vermillon lense (the one that adjusts to the amount of UV). I found in days of low visibility the lense really wasn't up to it, and I found the low visibility very difficult to ski and led me to start this search on a new set of goggles, in addition to the fact that I now wear contact lenses to ski in, so don't need OTG.

I see a lot of you ski in sunglasses when the weathers good and the sun is bright. Am I better to stick with goggles during this time as I'll be wearing contact lenses, or should I go for some decent glasses?

Paul
snow report
I guess this is personal preference, so it's hard to tell what would be good solution for you. Personally I have 2 lenses, but 99% use just one. For alpine skiing I have Scott light amplifier (and silver chrome, but as I wrote I use it maybe once a year). For xc skiing I have Oakley with G30 lens (really similar to Scott light amplifier). Both lenses (as also previous Briko Thrama Active Plus) are quite light, but I use them without any problems even on glaciers. It's somehow orange, and it really makes difference on snow. Contrast is much higher, and I can see better no matter if it's bright sunny day, or cloudy and snowing. So personally I would never go with yellow or blue lenses (I tried, but there's no way that would work for me), and even less with dark lenses.
But once again... this is very very personal preference, so in my opinion, there's no way someone else can tell you what you will like.
latest report
peura, Sorry if I slightly confused above the HI yellow is an Oakley lens. Bolle have a Lemon lens with 76% transmission. The citrus is similar to Vermilion 33% just for those who prefer a yellow orange tint over the pink.

Here are overviews of the lens tints of some of the main manufacturers.
http://www.bolle-europe.co.uk/ click technology > goggles > lens (sorry they dont link straight to it) you can see the different tints ther transmission and uses.

Smith lenses http://www.smithoptics.com/technology.html?category=3&id=25

Oakley http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical_superiority/lens_tints
I dont thing lens simulation like on the oakley site is much use. Eyes adapt and you stop noticing the tints but at least it gives an indication of the different lenses.
ski holidays
cyberil, I wear contact lenses and rarely if ever wear sunnies skiing, as the wind drys out my contacts. I can do it just about on dead calm days but even then skiing about can have wind in your face on calm days. Might not be an issue for you but bear it in mind before you shell out on posh specs
latest report
RPF, I'm not that confused I just "sound" it Embarassed . What I was meaning was that I'm curious whether or not a Bolle's modulator in (66% transmission "mode") is much worse than as Lemon (Bolle) or your favoured "Hi Yellow" (Oakley) for poor light. Most of my skiing (several years trips) seems to have been done in either on completely overcast days or above the cloud base with snow falling rolling eyes . It seems to be the "climate" for where I prefer to ski so I'm always interested to read of which is best for those sort of conditions. The Bolle Lemon would be cheap to try if they make it for a Nova.
barry, as to where I keep the spare lens - it's in the same place I keep my money, gloves if not wearing them, hat etc.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy