Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

delete

Poster: A snowHead
Im

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 24-02-10 20:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ha

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 24-02-10 20:29; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ledge,

No, haven't skied the Red Apple ..or heard of that other ski, but I think the Apple is used as a tourer.

What do you want to do on the ski..?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 15-10-09 7:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ledge, not so fabled, as almost no reference to it. I found a French site referring to a 178. 74 waist isn't so wide anymore (Rossi 9XO are 80mm) - and it sounds like they were last seen in the wild in 2004. Why do you want them?

http://www.snow-fr.com/forum/index.php?s=e8a3e36841b25f3497745ca7c058fe59&showtopic=4082&mode=threaded&pid=55483
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ledge, is this the fabled Movement Steel which has found it's way (brand new) on to flea-bay for about £40?? (or was that something else?!)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Limited edition = Not a big seller. Manufacturers don't can successful models. Really if you've bought em or are thinking of buying em judge em on shape and Movement's reputation which is very good. No need for a review and who's to say the reviewer weighs like you or skis like you.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ye

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 24-02-10 20:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ledge, "red apples". Crap at handling the home run from Brevent with 8cms of powder on a scree base. Allegedly didn't last 100 metres. What sort of quality is that?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ledge, Get the Thunder (88mm) ..might be a few of last years models about and Noble might have them at decent prices...or the Spark (82mm) if we are still talking Movement.

Stockli...???
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 24-02-10 20:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ledge, I've spent a day on Red Apples using a touring setup. The ski handled fine on piste. Held a carved edge fine, no problems with any aspects of handling. They are a very light ski with touring bindings fitted and were a bit narrow for my liking off piste. If they are on Swiss rental shop stocks, then there can't be too many issues with durability.

I've also used Demon Flames. Of the two, the Demon Flames, are more of a piste ski. Easy to use, needs to be kept on an edge, skis like a carver. The ski felt slightly damp underfoot, though it was not present in the handling. Light to use (not as light as the Red Apples). Almost purchased the Demon Flames, but Stockli won the day and I got Stormrider AT's.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ledge,

Quote:

JT i was thinking more groomers then powder.

Spark, then,
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd look at the blizzard magnum 7.4.

It's hard getting reviews on Movement skis at the best of times but not many people looking at a less mainstream brand will be looking at 74mm waisted skis which explains the lack of reviews. There are some on TGR: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104129 but you are not going to find many narrow piste ski reviews there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We reviewed last year's Movement range and it's still online at http://www.fall-line.co.uk/search-gear.php?2
This year's info exists in paper form only for another couple of weeks and then watch out world...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Genius. As usual when I post any kind of link up, it goes to the wrong place. If you're interested, click on Gear in the coloured nav bar at the top and them use the Gear Search, where there's a brand finder. One of these days...
latest report
fallliner, no Black Rose review?

I got the impression that was the woman specific ski most favoured?! (over the Chika anyway).
snow conditions
fr0sty, female version of the Thunder, AFAICS, but not to be confused with the Thunder of a few years ago... much more forgiving, they say...
snow report
fallliner wrote:
We reviewed last year's Movement range and it's still online at http://www.fall-line.co.uk/search-gear.php?2
This year's info exists in paper form only for another couple of weeks and then watch out world...

No review of the Hype? there's a chap selling a pair in the by & sell forum, I'm tempted but haven;t seen any reviews...
ski holidays
ledge, to be fair, my red apple anecdote is more accurately described thusly, (I wasn't there)...

In-law, "can we ski down?"

Pisteur, "<gallic> if you like,"

In-law, "Cool!"

Set off on 10 cms of powder on a rock base. By the end of the run, 800m vertical later, the skis were trashed. The snow ran out after 100m vertical. Not really a manufacturing fault...more a schoolboy error. Twisted Evil
snow report
nbt,

http://www.citizenski.com/skis/movement-hype-skis-2009.html

There you go...

They sound like am all round ski to me...a bit of skinning, work ok on piste.

Reading between the lines the do all things ok... but I'd go for the 82mm Spark instead for a 50-50 ski.
It will not let you down in deep snow, but you'll find its speed limit if you want to charge it ..and at 82mm, that is to be expected.
But it isn't too shabby on that steep icy black, IME.

Movement don't trade much on their edge hold but then they don't set them up 3 degree side either...which is the 'cheat' that a lot of
makers go for.

So if that is your bent, then tune them the same.

Most skis I know off that proclaim good edge hold have at least 2 degrees side....but if you do do it, I'd do it in 1 degree increments to see how hooky that may make them....
ski holidays
I have Red Apples 74 as my touring set up. The first pair I bought broke within a few days use. The "cap" became separated from the base. There was a dent in the base, I had not knowingly hit any large rocks or done any big jumps or drops. The shop, Alpicentre in Argentiere were initially unwilling to do anything, I did notice a second broken pair in the shop which with mine turned out to be 50% of the four pairs they had sold. I stood my ground and after an inspection from the Movement rep a couple of weeks later (if I had been on holiday I would have been screwed) was given a replacement pair.

The new pair have now had at least 50 days hard skiing and have been great. They work well on the piste and ski very much like my old B2's. For skinning they are also great, very light. On descents off piste they suffer slightly due to lack of width, and their lightness means they can get a bit knocked off course in lumpy snow. Like all touring stuff they are a compromise between weight and performance, I would not want them as a one ski does everything but for touring they are a great ski, with a bit more performance than the super light models.

I would recommend them.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 20-10-09 12:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
JT, thanks. the spark would be a better option, but only if someone were selling them really cheap
snow report
Still tossing up between the Yaka Jam and the Spicy myself. Need to make a decision in the next 3-4 weeks. Have only skied the Spicy on piste and the Yaka Jam mostly off with some falling leaf/360 exercises on. Think the Jam is going to win out for versatility, but I did enjoy the Spicy too - and it looks better!
snow conditions
eng_ch, get the wider one, which ever one that is.. wink

nbt, Are Noble all out of last years Sparks...?
snow conditions
JT, that would be why the Jam is likely to win out Wink
snow report
JT, there's nothing on the site, but in any case I can't afford full retail
ski holidays
nbt, So it seems, I'd still ring them.. just in case they have stuff out the back. As far as I can tell this year's Spark is last year's Spark underneath.. so they might not want that competing with new stock so early in the new season, IYKWIM..

Just guessing, mind....
latest report
I'm wondering how this year's Jam compares with last year's. My friendly supplier is likely to have a pair or 2 of last year's hanging around and I'm all for saving a few Rappen if I can. Maybe fallliner can shed some light?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eng_ch, These guys imply that the Yaka is new for 2009 so I doubt they will change it for 2010 bar the top-sheet

http://citizenski.wordpress.com/2008/06/23/movement-yaka-jam-skis-2009/
snow conditions
JT, thanks for that, the description of the target market is eerily apt! I like their description of their rating for 90-95 out of 100:

Quote:
An outstanding ski with superb performance and character but perhaps lacking on-the-limit performance or slightly below par graphics.

Jackson Pollock eat your heart out Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy