Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Click-in Boots/Bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Does anyone know if you can still get these? Spotted a couple of people using them over the years and they seem to make life so much easier at the top of lifts!

Also, judging by the lack of people using these, does this mean they are rubbish?

Thanks
Jim
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jimberetta, are you talking about flow or sp bindings or some other older style bindings? i don't use them, but omg there's that sound of a can opening and worms wriggling everywhere Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ha ha ha...I'm not sure to be honest, never had a close enough look...Normally they are cruising past me whilst I'm sorting mine out!!!

I'm thinking of buying some new bindings this year and just wondered if it's worth looking into?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jimberetta, my first and only dry slope lesson was with those bindings/boots that you had to click in to and I still had to do the bindings up too ! so those bods whizzing off down the slope whilst you are rolling on the floor strapping-in are either good boarders who strapped-in before getting off the lift (or never un-strapped in the first place Very Happy ) or - god forbid - peeps on Flows and the like Shocked Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've used a couple of rental set ups that have step in bindings - basically they are soft boots, with a metal rod through the sole, that means you just step onto the metal base plate and are clipped in. I'm not an expert, but I think the drawback is the lack of adjustabililty and support that normal bindings would give.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've used a couple of rental set ups that have step in bindings - basically they are soft boots, with a metal rod through the sole, that means you just step onto the metal base plate and are clipped in. I'm not an expert, but I think the drawback is the lack of adjustabililty and support that normal bindings would give.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
click in bindings are a dead idea that was crap in the 1st place. Do not want.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jimberetta, i guess the only way to find out if you'll get on with them is to demo them and see. i think a lot of people (me included) just don't like the idea of the loss of control/feel of the board, so won't even bother testing them.

but from the responses you've received so far, i think you can tell what the consensus is. let us know if you decide to demo them and what the outcome is.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Elizabeth B wrote:

Plus they fill up with snow which becomes ice and therefore you can't easily clip in

I found that with the support on the back of the legs rather than the bindings I used to get much quicker calf-cramps.

I've got a mate that still loves em though...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Being 40+, a bit overweight and not so flexible, I love them !
I got a set of Burton step in boots and bindings from ebay (USA) a couple of years ago.
You step in and the boot snaps 2 lugs on the binding into slots on both sides of the boots.
So far they have not come off while riding and have plenty of adjustment options. Rachet straps and laces on the boots mean you are snug in them and I feel like I have a good connection with the board. Adjustable high backs as well.
Only draw back I have is actually getting out of them, you have to push 2 realease tabs on each boot. . . . . and "Being 40+, a bit overweight and not so flexible" it can be a hassle - I often borrow a ski buddy's pole to activate the release system.
No icing up problems so far - i give them a spray of WD40 or lube oil before setting out which I think helps prevent ice formation.
I got them mainly for indoor UK slopes as I seemed to spend more time faffing with boots than boarding and I am sure I get more slope time because of them.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And here's a very informed comment from another forum

http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-18947.html

Well i used to be paid to ride step ins, so have probably put them through the ringer more than most. I always though the technology had a lot of potential, and to be fair to Burton the SI system was by far the best developed system on the market, however the concept was flawed by the fact that they were mainly aimed at the newer rider/rental markets, and as such developent costs started to be aimed at making them cheaper to make rather than better to ride, mainly because the manafacturing costs of step ins are far higher than normal bindings, so the profit margin is tighter per unit as a result, and this is actualy the main reason they faded out.

The main problems are that they weigh more than conventional bindings, and more importantly once the boots start to soften up they become way less responsive and you cant do much about it. They can get clooged up in pow and deep snow, but no more than ice compacting down on a normal baseplate.

They are quit simply not as adjustable or tweakable and ajdustable as normal bindings, though they certainly did not effect the tricks i could do or the style i could do them with.

They are great for just cruising the pistes, but if you want to do anything more i would go with conventional bindings, as no one has as yet re-invented the wheel so to speak.

Flows and Cinches are ok, some people swear by them, but in my opinion they are all gimicks that provide compromised soloutions to a problem that didnt need solving.

As i said at the top Step Ins , particularily the later Switch systems and Burtons SI, had real potential, but the technology was just not profitable enough to continue developing, though i have heard rumours that Burton is still working on things behind closed doors as the SI system was very popular with your average recreational boarder in the US, and suprisingly also with Instrctors, as it made their lives alot easier as they didnt have to unstrap all the time.

I would go with the straps personally, as they are still the best way of connecting you to your board, and as you said also let you shred your mates or demo gear as well.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't fall over in powder, cos you'll never get them to clip back in on anything but a (fairly) solid surface. Step ins? Nooooooo!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I started off with Flows whilst learning, but I found as I progressed they did not give a solid support at speed. I then moved on to Cinches which is far better because of the 2 ratchet straps which gave a tighter support, when on steep stuff you could get you foot in far easily just by undoing the ratchets like a normal binding. I prefered these to the flows.

Now I use Burton Cartels which are great but now and then found that the ratchet sticks and the only way to get my foot out is by taking apart the binding!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got a mate who's a former world-cup level giant-slalom snowboarder (waaaaaaaaay back in the day!). He still races boardercross to a pretty high level. He was completely sold on the Burton SI system, felt it superior to straps in every way (response, comfort, convenience...). He only switched back because they stopped making high-level step-in systems. I think he did have some trouble with the last batch of decent ones - he kept breaking the baseplates, which is particularly bad news with an SI system!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have two sets of Clicker/Shimano soft boot bindings (2 sets of Fritschi hard boot bindings too). I've recently tried some of the latest ratchet straps, but I prefer the step ins. They do have disadvantages (having to clear snow/ice away, very difficult to put on in deep powder, often easier to sit down to put them on anyway), but sometimes it's cool scooting along a flat and then when picking up speed just click your back boot in and voom (takes practice).

What I find to be the biggest plus, is that when queueing up for a poma/t-bar you always have the option (right up to grabbing the pole) of quickly putting your back foot in the binding, e.g. if you reckon it's one of those drags that'll be easier with both feet secured.

It's also handy (if your bindings are already clear of snow) being able to mount up as quickly as skiers, e.g. if you're all leaving a coffee stop in a rush.

The biggest disadvantage is that they don't make the blighters any more. Evil or Very Mad

NB I'm a carver/powder boarder (as opposed to an agile/acrobatic boarder), so that may indicate why I like step-ins.
snow report
jimberetta, I agree with crosbie, I have Burton step ins and they are great, have out lasted two boards and I hope they will make it through this season as well. I have the freeride version from a few years back. Great support and sensitive but can be a pain if they get clogged up. Best part is I can be clipped in as fast as a skier normally. Off piste I just try never to have to take them off. Big problem Burton stopped making them as the young guns nowdays do not like them. They do not know what they have missed. Toofy Grin
latest report
Some on ebay now:
http://snipurl.com/tc21h
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy