Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free Ski Lift in Val Thorens?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Anyone know if there are any free ski lifts in Val thorens on Saturdays (other than the drag served green We have been to Les Arcs the last couple of years, and there is one free chair lift that can be used on a saturday to find your ski legs. We always arrive early afternoon, and it is not worth getting a pass.

Thanks

Steve.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only the 'Retours' twin button tows serving the short green/blue slope in the middle of Val Thorens, plus the magic carpets in the beginners' zone. There's going to be a new day-pass available this season though, aimed at beginners, which costs less than 20 euros and covers 9 lifts (I don't know which ones yet though).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Only the 'Retours' twin button tows

We were in Val T in the summer and the above tows have been demolished....

The good news (as advised to us by a local ski instructor/guide) is that the construction work that has started in that area is to replace the tows with 2 covered "magic carpets."

The interesting bit is that the powers that be have recognised that, for beginners staying in the top of the resort (ie above the top of the former tows), there was no way of getting to the bottom of the lifts to acess the nursery slopes but for a walk - and so one of the new lifts will have a reverse mechanism which will allow beginners to travel downhill.

Sounds a good idea in principle but I'm not sure how a couple of covered tunnels will look.... No worse than lift pylons I suppose.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
does anyone know when the construction will be completed?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bergmeister wrote:
Sounds a good idea in principle but I'm not sure how a couple of covered tunnels will look.... No worse than lift pylons I suppose.

There's something similar in the Espace San Bernando (La Ros/La Thuile). It's a bit of a novelty, and that's important in marketing...

Would have thought it difficult to go downhill on one though. You'd be pitched forward by your boots. Maybe go down backwards? Shock
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've received a reply from Val Thorens tourist office regarding the new lift(s) @ Retours and have confirmed that they will be running for the opening on 21st November.
They also said the following when I asked about people falling over when facing downhill Very Happy :
"Yes they are the 2 carpets with the reverse feature, knowing that if people start to queue to go back up, the downhill system will be stopped and both carpets will go up.
However, don't worry, this project has been considered with care and there are no risks for the skiers going downhill. Moreover, the incline is not that important."
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hope this 'magic' carpet is more resilient than the existing beginers slope one! Slow and unreliable is the only way to describe it!
As for going downhill, do any other resorts have a up\ down magic carpet?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hmmmm... a good view of the new retour lift / conveyer belt....

http://www.valthonet.com/webcams/jpg/valthorens-panorama-webcam.jpg
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy