Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do you drive to the Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
Generally it seems like those that drive

1 have a family or travel as a group, or/and
2 have an apartment in the alps, or/and
3 have a peculiar urge to take loads of stuff Puzzled
4 live near the ferry/train etc

garethjomo, btw how long does it take to drive to the Alps (and where do you go) from Swansea ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timbobaggins,
Quote:

Last year we left our resort at 1000 in our hire car and drove to Grenoble airport for an afternoon flight home. Our friends left resort at same time to drive all the way back to the uk.

Due to delays and all sorts of rubbish, we got home at 0400 the next morning. Total time door to door 18 hours

Our friends were home in bed at 2200 hours after a total door to door trip of 12 hours including stops.

Can happen the other way round last tiem I drove, we left our friends after lunch having skied the morning. 12pm that night I was feeling rather envious of them tucked up in bed at home as I was looking for an overnight hotel, having to stop every few miles at service stations with a rather unpleasant belly upset and still with a very full days travelling to go. Sad Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Out of interest, of all the 'drivers to the alps' has any one ever broken down in the middle of the night ? been stuck in traffic ? had the ferry delayed due to bad weather ? had the train delayed for what ever reason? become lost ? caught in snow blizzards that had shut the 'pass' or the route for ages ? had their car broken in to in that lovely little road side gaff ? etc etc

As with all travel arrangements when they go well it is great, but when they go wrong all such arrangements can be a pain in @rrse !! It seems to me that most drive out of necessity and fly out of choice.

My best arrangements involve flying from Bristol (on the 7.20 am flight) to Innsbruck and boarding by 12 noon Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops,
Quote:

Out of interest, of all the 'drivers to the alps' has any one ever broken down in the middle of the night ?

Many years ago I was on the way back from the alps when the engine blew late on. Fortunately travel insurance covered the rescue overnight stay and transport of me and car home. Been stuck in traffic quite a bit usually from the airport lost once or twice too.
Actually I would be more worried of missing a flight and not being able to get an alternative though so far that has not happened.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
T Bar, a mate of mine drove to Les Arcs a few years ago and broke down on the way home and for me that would be a nightmare. There are lots of 'it only took me 12 hours to drive to ...... ' statements that I have seen on Snowheads but it could take me that long (from where I live) to get to and return home from the train/ferry port if I encounter a bit of bad traffic Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rayscoops, Yep we had 'total drivetrain failure' in the fast lane 3 hours short of Calais 5pm on a Saturday evening. Phoned the number in the handbook and were sorted out with taxis overnight stay and a brand new Range Rover waiting for us in Maidstone. Shame it took them 3 weeks to get my car back to my local dealer. The repair bill (I saw the invoice) was over 3k. ALL costs were met under warranty!.

Thta's one breakdown in 25+ years of driving to ski.

Bad weather, twice in 25+ years once just added 3 hours to the trip, second time took us 3 hours just to drive around Lyon Shocked Got to Chambery and there was no fresh snow Sad Got to the appartment at 11pm when we should have been there around 7/8pm.

Generally the drive is 12 hours door to door Very Happy

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 12-10-09 19:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rayscoops, 30 miles east of you to Les Arcs = 16 1/2 hours and thats not pushing it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops,
I am a lot further from the crossings than you, I don't drive if I can possibly help it because of the time, much prefer to fly but the actual logistics of travel by car if there are hitches are no worse.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops, yep, had most of them. all part of the adventure if you do it often enough..
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thefatcontroller, what about to Innsbruck ? wink
Boredsurfing, not sure if my cover would have been so good Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why drive?
Space for 2 x adults, 2 x kids, own skis, self catering food (and drink) = 8 days skiing Very Happy

Flying = baggage fees, whining brats on the aircraft, flight delays, cattle car transfers, + 6 or (7 max) days skiing

No contest!!

Btw I have had good flights but i'd really prefer the extra skiing!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
posted twice

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 12-10-09 20:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops, All under the warranty, which suddenly became a major factor in buying my current car.
Every Mercedes comes with European cover - free for life Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, really depends on what stops etc we have. We usually stay overnight on the way out but not the way back. Quickest we've done it is leaving 8 in morning from VT and being home just after midnight. I do know people who have done it quicker without stopping but we like to stop regular. Have to take ferry times and traffic into consideration so journey can vary by as much as 5 hours. This year we will leave Swansea friday morning for an early afternoon ferry. Drive most of the way down France and stay over late friday evening. Then do last few hours sat morning for three quarters of a day skiing on the empty slopes. Then on way back ski all day saturday. leave resort around 5pm 4 or 5 hours driving then stay overnight. Get a ferry back sunday afternoon sometime. back in Swansea Sunday evening. 8 days skiing then. Seems a bit daunting first time you do it but its not.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Of course things can happen with the self-drive route, but equally transfer coaches can break down, flights can get delayed, get robbed at the airport etc.

Besides - back to the OP - I was just looking for reasons why people drive out of interest, not an argument about which is best. Done that one to death.

I fully understand why people fly and why they prefer it - I just prefer driving and was interested why other people drive
snow report
BMF_Skier, so you 'need' to drive because you have 2 kids, self cater and need to carry everything that goes with that ?

garethjomo, this is what confuses me because the drivers always seem to make out they get extra time on the slopes in comparison with flying, but if it takes 16 - 20 hours to drive, how do you get extra days skiing in comparison to me leaving home at 4.00 am for a 7 am flight and I am boarding by 12 noon Very Happy , which is 8 hours (including time difference) literally door to piste Puzzled Friday a.m. flight out and Sunday a.m. flight back means 8 1/2 days boarding for £100 flight and a restful Sunday afternoon home before back to work. If I had a family of four I would probably think about driving, especially during half term and Easter hold etc., but I hate driving !!

Also for the drivers, when you get to the resort after 16 hours driving, do you really get out there and ski hard all day or is the first day about having a couple of hours on the slopes after unpacking, settling the kids in, having a bite to eat, etc etc ?
ski holidays
Boris, no arguement from me, just trying to understand the truth about driving because I have never done it and it seems for most there is simply no realistic (practical and financial) alternative in the circumstances
snow report
rayscoops,
Quote:

Also for the drivers, when you get to the resort after 16 hours driving, do you really get out there and ski hard all day

Personally I never find it difficult to get out to ski, on continental drives though I'm always knackered when I get back, don't enjoy that.

Boredsurfing,
Quote:

Phoned the number in the handbook and were sorted out with taxis overnight stay and a brand new Range Rover waiting for us in Maidstone. Shame it took them 3 weeks to get my car back to my local dealer. The repair bill (I saw the invoice) was over 3k. ALL costs were met under warranty!.

To be honest decent car travel insurance should give pretty much the same cover except for the repair, mine did.
snow conditions
rayscoops, sorry didn't mean to pick on you - just trying to avoid a SH thread drift Laughing

To give the truth from my perspective - when the boys were born the car just seemed the way to go, I could load it up with double buggy, high-chairs, cots the lot. Yes I know you can get them out there but for nervous new parents there was a certain reassurance about having our suff. The drive meant we could stop and feed the kids when needed - well Mrs Boris could I'm lacking the right bits - and a deserted car park made it easier to "get them out for the lads" than an airport.

Nowadays to me it really adds to the holiday - I like driving and I love looking at the French scenery the little villages, the beat up cars parked in the woods as people head of hunting, the groups of cyclists on the bridges etc. We take a couple of days to travel, so I like the relaxed pace, stopping in a hotel we know well for a really good meal (Logis de France).

We self-cater so being able to stop in Albertville and stock up on food and booze at reasonable prices is also useful as well.

We have been driving for the last 8 years now and haven't (touch wood) broken down yet. Have had one scarey moment on way home when it started snowing heavily and we couldn't find the hotel. I'm sure there will be a time when I'm stranded at the roadside wishing I had flown - but on the other hand I have also spent 12 hours at an airport wishing I had driven.

Its imposible to say why I drive - it would be like trying to explain the attraction of skiing to someone who had never been - I just like it. The journey is an adventure in itself rather than just a means of getting from A to B
latest report
Boris, We choose to drive for several reasons,

1. It works out cheaper

2. We load the car once at home and unload once in resort (visa versa on return)

3. We travel through the night, so our 4 year old sleeps and the roads are relatively quiet

4. As others have said, you can take as much as your boot and roof box can carry

So that is why we drive.

Enjoy your holiday(s). Have fun what ever your mode of transport!! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Enjoy your holiday(s). Have fun what ever your mode of transport!!

Seconded
snow report
nice to read all your comments on drive and fly

we have decided that we are going to drive this year as husband cant stand the cattle market that is the airport, transfters etc. Just wondered if any one knows the average time from calais to puy st vincent. Only live 20 minutes from folkestone so this end is easy just wondered so know what time to get tunnel etc

carla
snow report
carla4221, not off hand but try google maps and via-michelin - they will give a reasonable indicatio
ski holidays
My best journey was coming back from Courmayeur last season. Door to door from hotel in Courmayeur to my house in Derbyshire in under six hours. Can't do that in a car eh? Very Happy
latest report
queen bodecia, not legally no wink
ski holidays
Avago, Similar reasons here too.
latest report
It seems a pretty simple equation really. For people with families and lots of luggage and time on their hands, driving probably makes a lot of sense and is a bit of an adventure to kick off the holiday, although the journey home must be a bit of a bind. For those of us for whom time is an issue with one suitcase and one set of equipment, flying is pretty hard to beat.
snow report
queen bodecia, only the last part of the journey in the UK is a bind, and if we time it right, it's not too bad. We get an extra night in Reims or Chalons to enjoy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, Do you go through Frejus and over Montgenevre or over Lautaret? 'cos I have found going that way the bit around Grenoble horrendous for traffic.
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
thefatcontroller, what about to Innsbruck ? wink

No idea sorry, nor willing to detour to find out Laughing . We drive because first and foremost we don't like flying unless we have to and with 3 kids, 5 x sets of ski, 5 x pairs ski boots and 2 x snowboards and boots, flying would be just to much hassle.
latest report
It seems for many on here driving is part of the holiday which I fully understand, but I reserve judgement as to whether it is quicker or whether more time is gained on the piste
ski holidays
[quote="snowymum"]We have not yet driven for the following reasons;

1. I think it would be too far for my husband to do all the driving. I am not an experienced motorway driver and feel daunted at the thought of driving on the wrong side of the road. What would we do if he broke his leg skiing? We'd be stuck!

Give it a try! I used to think the same and now drive over there at huge speed on Autobahns with no bother. The right side of the road actually seems more logical! Dont know why maybe its the right handed thing Puzzled
latest report
snowymum wrote:
Bad Roo - Don't be rude. Everyone is entitled to choose how they get to the alps. As a matter of fact driving to the alps is far less eco friendly than taking the train. Maybe you could be brave and try the train one time. Millions of people driving everywhere is not doing the planet much good is it?

Everyone is entitled to choose how best suits them. But if I said I couldn't take the train because I was daunted by the process of buying a ticket, I'd understand if people thought me a little inadequate.
snow report
SH using injury sustained in skiing as an excuse not driving may not be aware such thing can be covered by insurance. Both the car and the driver can be repatriated back to UK.

Before I took up skiing we did camping holiday in Europe annually so driving there is no different in UK.

I like driving to the resorts because of the freedom going wherever I want and able to cover between 6 to 8 resorts in each trip. It is a different way of enjoying skiing.

Some countries like Austria are particularly suitable to visit with cars and a big portion of their resorts are out of the TO's radar.
ski holidays
rayscoops, I dont think anyone could say that driving is quicker (not from Swansea anyway) You do get more time on slopes in comparison to most TO packages but perhaps not compared to a DIY package. As a teacher I can only go in School hols where flight prices are usually more expensive. It works out the same cost to drive no matter what time of year you go, give or take a couple of quid.
snow report
Carla - re: getting to Puy St Vincent. I'm afraid I haven't driven there but if you want to avoid flying you can get there by train. We went to Paris and got a sleeper to Argentiere les ecrins (one stop before Briancon) which is at the bottom of the hill and Snowbizz arranged a taxi up the mountain. Train is not the cheapest way but it was fairly stress free and our children found the sleeper as exciting as the holiday. Should you want to look into the train I would phone rail europe today as I think the tickets for the sleeper might be released tomorrow. We went for a four berth couchette (1st class) and I think the paris to argentiere les ecrins part was approx £100 return per adult. One of our children was under 4 and went free. The main drawback was hanging around for an evening in paris waiting for the train which leaves at 10:30. The large pro was no long transfer and having a whole day to get sorted with skis etc in the resort or do an extra days skiing. You gain an extra day on the return too. Sorry I can't advise on driving but I'm sure others will be able to help there.
latest report
The 'extra time on the slopes' argument revolves around being able to buffer your holiday with a day either side. For example:

We leave Yorkshire in the dead of Thursday night and blast down country to Ashford, grabbing the Chunnel at around 6am. Then it's the schlep through Northern France, arriving within striking distance of the resort mid-afternoon, say somewhere near Macon or Bourg-en-Bresse. A siesta to refresh those tired eyes, and a lovely meal in the evening, followed by collapsing into bed around 9. Up and on the road at seven on Saturday morning, into resort for nine, skiing by ten-thirty.

On the way back, it's unclip for the last time at midday Saturday, one last lovely lunch on the front de neige, then into the car and out of the Alps. Get as far as Chalons and it's another nice meal and bed - then Sunday morning it's load up on cheap booze, get through Northern France, a midday tunnel and back home in time for Songs of Praise...
ski holidays
Driving is not quicker than flying when measured in hours spent travelling, but if you include "wasted hours" of a holiday period it almost always is more time efficient.

My one week holiday starts when I finish work Friday afternoon, and finishes when I need to go to bed to be alert for work on Monday a week later. If I drive I start straight away, and can be in many parts of the Alps ready to ski on Saturday morning. If I fly I "waste" Friday evening at home, then leave for the airport early Saturday, to arrive in resort Saturday afternoon - so driving gives more time travelling but gets me there sooner.

Leaving, we ski all day saturday, then drive home arriving home Sunday morning. By flying you could probably get that final extra day by returning home Sunday, but that gives the problem of the awkward 8th nights accommodation.

We drive entirely by choice rather than necessity, but it has the advantage that we can take our own skis (sometimes 2 pairs each). We don't take everything but the kitchen sink, because to keep costs down we get as many contributing passengers as we can - usually 3 or 4 in an estate car, or 4 or 5 in a people carrier. We will still drive with 2, but unless you have a very economical (or company funded) car the costs get fairly high.
snow conditions
Certainly wouldn't rule out Austria when driving. Somewhere like Zillertal is only about 2 hours more than Les Gets, which is pretty much the closest French Alpine resort to Calais. So probably similar kind of time as other French resorts. And it has plenty of carparks at the lifts.

Saying that I wouldn't consider driving if I lived more than about 2 hours from Dover.

saikee makes 1 good point about the insurance/repatriation. I don't know what AA (etc.) card gives you but the ADAC one has pretty comprehensive coverage for getting me and the car back following accident, injury, sickness etc. and only costs about €80/yr for the pan-European "plus" membership.
snow report
garethjomo wrote:
rayscoops, I dont think anyone could say that driving is quicker (not from Swansea anyway) You do get more time on slopes in comparison to most TO packages but perhaps not compared to a DIY package. As a teacher I can only go in School hols where flight prices are usually more expensive. It works out the same cost to drive no matter what time of year you go, give or take a couple of quid.

That is what I thought, any rigid arrangements offered by the TO means days lost on the slopes, however driving or being selective in flight times and destinations means more time on the slope.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy