Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mountain Guide Recommendation for Andermatt off-piste?

Poster: A snowHead
Any recommendations for an English speaking guide for a group wishing to explore Andermatt's off-piste areas?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No specific recommendations but most Swiss guides speak good English. Bonus in Andermatt is they seem to be keen to rent you ABS packs as well.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
russellford, you might try Rob Collister to see if he happens to be in the area when you want. He led a touring week in that area, which I took part in, and was brilliant.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi, We are based in Chamonix, but guide all over switzerland too, including Andermatt - drop us an email
Cheers
Guy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
russellford, If it is exploring the local off piste you may find someone from the ski school works well. We had a ski schol instructor for the day and had a good time . Long time ago but their English was very good.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, guys, for these thoughts
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you get a chance and the snow's good try and get a day in Engelberg. It's 1 hours drive from Andermatt and the off piste is sensational (and the route finding fairly obvious) except for Galtiberg which you want to ski with someone who knows the exit options. I did a weekend there last year, 1 day in each. Loved both but Engelberg definitely had me smiling more. The Galtiberg must be one of the best lift served routes in the Alps.

http://www.ultimate-ski.com/Ski-Resorts/Switzerland/Engelberg/Off-piste/index.html
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bobinch, Thanks for the tip. Perhaps Engelberg is for another year, when we can spend more time there. Would you be interested in returning to Andermatt - we are a group of 4 , but looking for 6 - 8/9 in total to share the guide cost for a week, Feb 6 - 13?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the offer but I just do weekends as I live in Switzerland. Enjoy your trip!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I did an off-piste week there about 3 years ago with Ski Freshtracks. It's a really excellent off-piste area with great snow record. I'm pretty sure we used the Bergschule Uri which you can find on the Andermatt official website. They were very good and spoke excellent English.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DCG, Thanks, that's useful information - I'll 'Google' the Bergschule Uri and see what they can do.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Most of the Engelberg guides also guide at Andermatt - for example Fredi Krummenacher: trapperfred@bluewin.ch (or frediguide@tep.ch)
mob: 079 335 7634 or 041 636 3824 www.mountainfred.ch.vu

You will find all the Engelberg Guides and Aspirant guides on http://www.engelbergmountainguide.ch/old/bergfuehrer/mitgliederliste.pdf I gather that Christian is good. (I used to know a site which told you much more about them and gave their websites if they had them, but it doesn't seem to exist at the old address now, so I Googled and at once found this one).

I'm sure if you Googled, something like this for Andermatt would turn up.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Edit,

I have been contacted by numerous different people over the last year asking for guide advice. I am not a guide an I suggest visiting the UAIGM website.

A UAIGM guide in Andermatt who has been recommended to me (by my UAIGM guide) is John Mueller. John Mueller peak.dreams@bluewin.ch

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 15-02-10 12:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I notice that the SCGB are using Andrea Enzio, Sandro Borini and Sandro Viotti, but I'm not sure if any of them are local. Certainly Andrea is based in Alagna where he is (or anyway was) head of the guides.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can highly recommend Guy '8000' Willett from Dream Guides, as per his post above...
latest report
snowball, I've seen Roberto from Alagne over there as well...
latest report
snowball, Many thanks for the info. on the Engelberg guides. I was hoping to find a guide more locally based to Andermatt as I guess Engelberg is at least an hours drive away. Surprisingly, having 'Googled' extensively, there doesn't seem to be a guides bureau or organisation in Andermatt, nor any list of Andermatt guides similar to your Engelberg list. However, I have found the website for the Swiss Mountain Guides Association (www.4000plus.ch), which lists names, addresses and contact details for its members (http://www.4000plus.ch/index.php?id=1&L=2). And there are various ways of searching their database.

Regarding the SCGB's Alagna guides, we used Nicola Viotti last year in Monte Rosa (he is based in Alagna) but I reasoned that Alagna guides will want to also charge us for their accommodation in Andermatt whereas locally based ones will not.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy