Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Peter Hardy on skiing a budget - good giggle!

Poster: A snowHead
How many of you have read Peter Hardy's article in the Telegraph today?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/6272835/Skiing-on-a-budget-Enjoying-the-slopes-in-a-downturn.html

The High Priest of skiing admits Austria is cheaper (sort of)

Quote:
Austria represents remarkable value this year – euros go further there than almost anywhere else. Albus Travel (www.albustravel.com) and Mark Warner (www.markwarner.co.uk) have accommodation in the St Anton satellite resort of Nasserein. Children born in 2002 or later can ski for €10 (£Cool for the entire season.

but then uses really quiet expensive resorts to prove his point while advocating lots of smaller and more sensible options in France.

I find his reports amusing at the best of times as he seems to promote the TO's and resorts who support his jollies rather than report as an independent.

Some of his figures make interesting reading - the relative costs of ski passes in Europe and the USA surprised me for one.

wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well that is why Peter is a commissioned ski journalist and you just post on a forum of lower than average interest to the skiing population.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
killjoyben,
Is there any need to be abusive in your first post or are you a snowHead just hiding under a pseudonym?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
T Bar, snowpatrol (whoever he is) has already produced one alter ego today, so he's probably playing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was surprised on reading the article that there does not appear to be any reference to Vaujany.

Did I miss it?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ssnowman wrote:
I was surprised on reading the article that there does not appear to be any reference to Vaujany.

Did I miss it?

x2

although the company who usually hosts him there aren't really budget operators wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
T Bar wrote:
killjoyben,
Is there any need to be abusive in your first post or are you a snowHead just hiding under a pseudonym?

Surely not. Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
if you read what Peter Hardy wrote last year, or the year before that, or the year before that, then you know what he is going to write this year. Must be the easiest and probably the best job in the world. I must start drinking more Carlsberg
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think his son posts on here sometimes doesn't he?
ski holidays
 Dave Spart
Dave Spart
Peter Hardy ? The Good Ski Guide ? Tired, out-dated rubbish.

He is not the only crap ski/travel journalist though.

Dave Spart
Promotions Manager
Neasden Dry Ski Slope
Shilpa Shetty Boulevarde
IKEA Industrial Estate
London NW10
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lovely picture in the actual paper - skier poised on the lip of the ridge - the pic was full of the possibilities to come. Loved it. As for the journalism - well all ski journalism is the same, innit?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle wrote:
T Bar, snowpatrol (whoever he is) has already produced one alter ego today, so he's probably playing.

Third rate troll borrowing more established troublemaker's shtick from elsewhere.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Actually not a bad article.

But if he doesn't know only muppets buy US ski passes at ticket window prices it rather suggest he never has to spend his own money.

I guess it is one of those jobs that sounds good on paper.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Woah guys you really should find some better way to spend your time than ranting to such an extent about articles that you don't like. You will enjoy life better if you just relax a bit. You would think you were debating something that seriously affected your lives when in fact you can choose to read or not read Peters work, however ironically it seems that some of you continue to read and complain about it even though you do not like it! For your information I am not an alter ego of anyone registered to this forum. It is simply the first time I have posted here but I often read the posts.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
killjoyben, welcome to the snowHeads. First if all - as I mention above - I don't think this is a bad article.

I am guessing you must be either a relative of his (in which case I suspect he would be embarrassed by your poorly argued posts) - or a stupid twit who doesn't understand that people are actually allowed to express an opinion about journalism, art, politics etc. and that this is as good a place as any to express it. If you don't like what you read, either look at another thread instead or post a sensible rebuttal. rolling eyes

I think most of us are a bit cynical about the independence of all types of travel journalists of all types. Very few seem to actually use their paper's money and book under a pseudonym and then provide a useful impartial reviews.

Nice to see a lurker start posting though - even one who - unlike most lurkers - the memberlist shows didn't actually register till the day he made his first post - and so would have been unable to see who posted what etc etc etc... wink

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 10-10-09 22:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
killjoyben, welcome to snowHead but if you often read the posts on this forum, then you should've realised how your first post would be received... Puzzled

i like reading about wintersports. i've read some good articles and i've read some bad ones. this one seems typical of torygraph writers, in that it's ok and written to appeal to their readers.
snow conditions
sherlock235, have to agree it is a typical Torygraph effort - I find him patronising and a bit of an old school Hooray Henry, but at least he does ski (I think). Some of the journos writing for the other broadsheets and tabloids seem to be less in touch with reality.

killjoyben, you must be the son some one was talking about! I'd hardly call my comments a rant - he's a travel journo who writes to promote the people who pay for his trips. On one side they call it marketing, on the other it is a job where you are paid to be nice about the people who pay you! But good independent comment it never has been.

I think he still lives in an era that past a good 15 to 20 years ago, but good for a giggle. He has freebies and writes in a way to ensure he gets more, what's wrong with that, if you can get away with it. The rather pompous "Good Ski guide" could do with being retired though!
snow conditions
I don't think so he posts under the name of a website they run and is pretty open. However what's wrong with writing what your readers want to hear? This article is aimed at Torygraph readers not snowHead's.
latest report
Samerberg Sue, I assume you are trying to be be funny when you say you 'think' he skis... rolling eyes rolling eyes

Either that or just your usual bollux then... Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
I feel very compelled to reiterate that I am no relation to Peter Hardy and find it laughable that you continue to assume as such simply from my opinion on this issue. In a farcical rebuke should I assume that you are all, in fact, relatives of the editor of the snow heads forum?

stoatsbrother, I think my previous post is a perfectly sensible rebuttal and I find it highly ironic that you then politely ask me to not to express myself on these forums, as in your own words - "people are actually allowed to express an opinion." If you read my post carefully you will see that my opinion is that perhaps you should not worry about it so much if you don't like it! Also, as we are talking about one of the most influential ski journalists in the press, to whom we possibly owe a lot (in terms of the growth and accessibility of winter sports holidays to us in the UK) I feel strongly that more credit is due, hence my original post.

Samerberg Sue, Would you suggest that Peter write articles which do not fit that of the expectations of the average reader of said Torygraph? I have always been of the opinion that one should be able to appreciate that all media is written appropriately for its target audience - I think its a bit of a given! Or no?
snow report
Colin B wrote:
However what's wrong with writing what your readers want to hear? This article is aimed at Torygraph readers not snowHead's.

Exactly...and that's the point.This type of article will appear numerous times in the coming weeks/months.If the journo had been commissioned by snowHead there would be a virtual lynching....but he wasn't rolling eyes We are a pretty savvy bunch on here,and don't need leading by hand.For all its limitations,I think the article summarised the 'budget' situation fairly well.If you choose....read it for what it is,not what it isn't.
snow conditions
ssnowman wrote:

Did I miss it?

Yep you missed it - 3 paragraph under ski-carriage: -

Peter Hardy - Skiing on a Budget wrote:
Almost all tour operators now charge on charter flights. YSE (www.yseski.co.uk), which offers chalet holidays in Val d’Isère, and Ski Peak (www.skipeak.com) in Vaujany are exceptions

Got to love this line too..
Peter Hardy - Skiing on a Budget wrote:
In France, take a look at St Martin de Belleville instead of Val Thorens in the Trois Vallées.

WTF - if you're skiing on a budget (even for a torygraph reader) then surely you go somewhere other than 3v to avoid paying expensive lift passes and expensive food on the mountain/kit rental. Given that st M de B is super expensive for 'real estate' then I doubt really whether it's much cheaper than Val Thorens. It's a classic exception to the rule of lower down the hill satellites are generally cheaper.
latest report
killjoyben wrote:
Also, as we are talking about one of the most influential ski journalists in the press, to whom we possibly owe a lot (in terms of the growth and accessibility of winter sports holidays to us in the UK) I feel strongly that more credit is due, hence my original post.

Apologies, I didnt appreciate this. Next time I'm in the Alps I will see the village mayor and suggest they erect a statue to thank the man who freed them from a life of cheese making.
snow conditions
killjoyben, Since you obviously know the chap quite well - any answers about his independence?

Anyway - perhaps you ought to get to know people here a little bit first before telling us what we should think and say here?

And no - we owe him absolutely nothing at all. Or should we thank Jeremy Clarkson for the availability of cars? rolling eyes

BergenBergen, indeed - we are not worthy snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, killjoyben, Humble apologies from this uneducated peasant for daring to laugh at one of your Gods. I will now crawl away and commit myself to the depths of despair for daring to have a laugh.

NehNeh
snow report
I can't imagine there's any such thing as a genuinely unbiased reporter in mainstream journalism. Clearly this chap is just catering to his audience and there are people within a community such as snowHead who know more/better than he does.

But for the majority of uninformed holiday skiers, his points are fairly valid and TOs continue to offer that which we seek.

However, we've read it all before a thousand times over.
snow conditions
P.S. Happy Birthday Samerberg Sue!
ski holidays
hmmm... wonder if KJB is Mr B Clatworthy? wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i think it's reading articles like this one being discussed (sent via links possibly, rather than being sought out) that causes people, who are interested in the sport but have never done it, to start thinking it's a rich person's sport. it's a shame, in that respect, as it merely reinforces the idea of it being a rich person's sport.

happy birthday Samerberg Sue!
snow report
killjoyben,
If you want to defend someone or even enlighten us as to someones virtues in the skiing world it may help by not abusing your audience in the posts, just an idea. Shocked
ski holidays
I love how the image at the beginning of the article is from a ski hill that isn't even mentioned.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, I do not know who Mr B Clatworthy is, so I assure you I am not him.

T Bar, "Abuse" is a strong word to throw around don't you think? My tone of response is really quite appropriate given your knee jerk accusations of using a pseudonym to express my self!

For the record you all sound so bitter about life on here, I have really never heard so much complaining on the subject of skiing (and half of the posts on this thread are unrelated to my argument)! Look at how much ranting my one line comment generated, that is ridiculous. I will not be posting on here any time soon but try to all chill out a bit and enjoy your skiing.
snow report
killjoyben,
Some might think rephrasing a question as a knee jerk accusation shows a somewhat thin skin. Hope you enjoy your skiing more than your time on snowheads.
Adieu.
snow conditions
killjoyben wrote:
I will not be posting on here any time soon but try to all chill out a bit and enjoy your skiing.

OK bye
snow report
killjoyben, I wish I was as cool and as chilled as you appear to be... We are so jealous wink

Goodbye, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
ah, I've been away for a few months. I had forgotton how feisty this place can get... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Snowmonkey, i think we're all suffering from "forum fever" (like cabin fever, but for forums). we're sick of talking about riding/skiing, we just want the season to start already so we can get out there!!
snow report
Google Alerts, domain of the vain
latest report
killjoyben, do you know Peter Hardy?
snow conditions
ssnowman, You wont get an answer now, he's gone Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy