Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No summer holidays?

Poster: A snowHead
move to germany. shed loads of public holidays and the day off does not move to the nearest monday like in UK, but stays on the correct day. If that day is a Tuesday/Thursday then the Monday/Friday is often given as a bonus holiday (but is often taken from the extra bonus days of AL).
May/June usually gives 5-6 days off within about 5 weeks (ie 1st May and 2x 4-day weekends).
edit: mine worked out as 28 days AL + 2 enforce holidays + 9 public Holidays this yr
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kel, I took it to mean 30 days plus 8 statutory bank holidays, but in fairness I can't see how any company could offer this and remain profitable, so you're probably right, it's more like to be 30 days including bank holidays or days in lieu of bank holidays. Paid holiday must be a big issue for any employer especially if like mine they have to employ freelance staff to cover for those on paid leave.

Anyway, drifting away from the point slightly. I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes such sacrifices for her annual ski fix. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I get 25 days plus Bank Holidays (as I work a Monday I do lose a couple of them), but every Saturday I work is half a days extra leave. I will have worked about 20 this year.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia, this is not to flame the thread but I'm a civil servant and have 30 days regular leave plus bank holidays, as do many. Some Departments have 30 as the norm, others have 25 with increases to 30 with long service. I suppose it depends on the nature of the work, but I've never known anyone be brought in to provide holiday cover, we absorb the essentials in the team but see previous comment about having to work extra hours to get the time off anyway. I have never worked for a commercial company with fewer than 20 days paid leave and even then that was in the '70s/'80s. For most of my working life (33 years) life I have enjoyed 25 or more days plus bank hols.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Summer Hoildays, well of course Chile, Argentina, New Zealand Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx, lucky you then! Although it does sound strange that you don't need cover if someone is on holiday. If someone's workload can be absorbed by other team members that would imply an over-staffing situation to me and in the commercial sector, a sniff of redundancies would be in the air.

There have been odd occasions in my line of work when freelance cover at short notice (i.e. in cases of sickness) has not been possible and other staff have had to work longer hours to cover the workload. That's usually been the case when I have been burning the midnight oil at work. Not much fun! But with holiday leave at least it is planned well in advance (at least three months) and we can ensure we have adequate freelance cover.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Usually get 29 days plus 7 bank holidays, got an xtra 13 unpaid this year, sadly can't use them all for skiing as wife can't get more than a fortnight off during season and best I can negotiate with her is a four night boys trip in Jan.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia, all your posts about your employer seem to suggest they suck!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
arv wrote:
queen bodecia, all your posts about your employer seem to suggest they suck!

I thought serfdom had been abolished...........................

John.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
arv, not at all! I love my job and the terms and conditions of employment are better with my current employers than is the norm within the industry I work. This is the first job where I have had any paid sick leave and a company pension.

The sort of benefits enjoyed by the public sector are unheard of in the creative industry. In fact, the industry as a whole is slowly moving towards not employing any full-time staff and employing freelancers only. Traditionally it's been a very hire 'em and fire 'em business, i.e. staff up when winning a new client and redundancies when losing client(s). Which explains the five redundancies during my career to date. It's an industry where time is money and now clients are demanding more work for less money and faster turnround times it is getting increasingly difficult for design agencies to stay in business. Therefore paying staff for not working (i.e. sick and holiday pay) is just destroying increasingly thin profit margins.

However, I love what I do, I don't mind working 50+ hour weeks and I'm reasonably well paid. The nature of my employment may seem harsh to people in the public sector and traditional industry sectors, but it's the way the creative industry operates.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx, just turning really nice and warm here in South Africa, enjoy! Should count as a summer holiday.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We had an overseas summer holiday this year......................but it was skiing in LDA. I'm not a huge fan of super hot weather and even less of a fan of sitting on a beach all day so summer tends to be camping in Dorset, which we also love'. In the bad old days BS (before skiing) quite enjoyed the odd budget cruise and had a cracking 3 weeks in New Zealand but cannot imagine for a second diverting skiing funds to a couple of weeks in Majorca or similar. (and I quite like Majorca)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lizski, lovely Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia wrote:
holidayloverxx, lucky you then! Although it does sound strange that you don't need cover if someone is on holiday. If someone's workload can be absorbed by other team members that would imply an over-staffing situation to me and in the commercial sector, a sniff of redundancies would be in the air.

Yes lucky me.

You have selectively read my post I think. I said that the essentials could be absorbed, I also said I worked extra hours in advance of holidays to be able to take time off. What really happens is that person A (me) works an extra (unpaid) 30 hours the week before (4 days extra), takes 5 days off the following week. Person B deals with what can't wait while I'm away, working (unpaid) extra hours if necessary. When person B is off I reciprocate. There is no overstaffing in my unit. The workload is what it is, the staffing actually bears no relation to the volume or complexity of the work - we have to make do with the staffing budget we get.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen bodecia, I don't work in the public sector, and I definitely need to be replaced when I am on holiday , but 25 days plus bank holidays is the minimum holidays for my profession. Many companies also allow their staff to 'buy' extra holiday in exchange for a salary reduction. However, support staff holidays are usuallly absorbed into the workload, apart from an odd occasion where we will ask part-time staff to work extra.
latest report
queen bodecia, good for you, if you love your job then having less holiday shouldn't be a bind, I hope. I reasonably enjoy my job, but the 30 days leave (plus UK bank hols) helps - a benefit of working for a German company; in fact by Bavarian standards we get relatively few public holidays.

I think after nearly seven years I'm yet to use a full entitlement within a year. I started this year with 8 days carried over, so 46 days including bank hols. Shocked Taking the time off is worrying enough (business always slows down in my absence - kind of reassuring when you work in sales) but there's no way I could actually afford to go away that much. Shame, as it would be nice to take off Jan and March to go skiing. Very Happy
latest report
I'm now almost as fixated with yachting as skiing, which - with one exception - we've done in warm climes.

Also visit family and friends in the States about one year in three, which is mainly combined with skiing.
snow report
I haven't had a summer holiday since 2002 and if I was going to take holiday in the summer, I would go to south america and go skiing.

Most typical summer holidays = boring
snow report
Much as I love skiing, I wouldn't give up all other travel just to get more time in the snow. I don't do lying on beaches, though - hate that sort of holiday.
snow report
I wouldn't give up my summer holiday to go skiing. I am a self confessed holiday junkie though, I love going away.

We usually have 1 european city break, a couple of weekends camping and this year we went to Thailand and Dubai and will be going to Canada this December.

I get 25 days AL plus bank holidays - most of them are taken out of the country!
ski holidays
summer in the mountains is just as good in my book. just got back from a week in the Sierra Nevada biking,

dusty singletrack is up there with a pow day... Cool
snow report
summer hols are in the apartment in the Alps. When we decided to buy it we realized that would be the deal. It suits us anyway.
snow conditions
pam w, suits me fine too.
latest report
pam w, Helen Beaumont, with both of you there. Not exactly a hardship.
latest report
I couldn't give up my dose of sun in the summer. For us it's the other way round, it's the skiing that goes if money is tight. Have usually managed to do both by foregoing sky telly, smoking, drinking, new car etc! Sound a bit boring don't I!

Having said that, the 2 weeks in the sun is far cheaper than the skiing. This year we did Morzine in Feb and 3 weeks in South Africa in April. South Africa only came in at £500 each for flights with BA as we stayed with a friend. God knows what the skiing cost all in!
latest report
Summer in the alps for us! Though this year we did the Transrockies bike race as our summer holiday - racing 550km off-road with 15,000m total ascent over seven days.
http://www.transrockies.com/

and then recovered first by staying with friends in San Francisco and then camping in Yosemite which was wonderful.

When the chalet's rented we often go to Chamonix anyway and camp, it's a very cheap holiday.
snow conditions
I'll happily forego my summer holiday for another week in the sun

But the summer holidays are often pretty cheap
ski holidays
Personally at the moment I'm able to go skiing for 2/3 weeks of this coming season and hoping to get a summer holiday mountain biking in the alps. I'm able to afford this as I'm working and paying very little bills as I'm living with my parents.

But I've always got playing cricket to get me through the summer.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RobW wrote:
What's a summer holiday???

Summer is time to work.
Very Happy Very Happy

Winter is for skiing.
snow report
The two things I do every years is at least one weeks skiing and the British GP ( may not sound like a holiday but it costs just as much with the staying over!) If I can afford another cheeky week skiing then I will. Summer holidays tend to be camping or city breaks on the cheap with friends, haven't been had a beach holiday since 2006 and thats because the (now ex) girlfriend would not stop whining!

I get 25 days + 8 bank holidays + 2 weeks off at xmas/new year (I know 2 of those are bank holidays)
ski holidays
I haven't been on a summer holiday this year, partly due to having to knuckle down and finish my PhD thesis and associated lack of funds (although it was worth it and I am now Dr Helen Very Happy - although not officially as not graduated yet) I've just started a new job in the public sector with quite a generous holiday allowance, and the peak working period is over the summer so hopefully they will be happy with me taking more time off in the winter! snowHead

However my partner is a junior(ish) doctor and has very little say over when his hols are - he gets a week off here and a week off there depending on the rotas. He's going cycling in Mallorca next week without me as he had no choice about his rota'd time off, and he really needs the break (from A&E at the moment). That's another reason why no summer hols - whenever he was free I had to be somewhere and vice versa. When we do go away together in summer it's usually camping in the UK. We are also lucky enough to have access to a family property in the lake district, which is close enough to go for plenty of weekends, and an apartment in La Plagne. Not sure when we are going there this year yet as OH changes rotations in December so won't get new shift info until then.

The bottom line is that considering how difficult it's been recently to get coinciding time off, we would definitely prioritise at least one ski holiday above any other type of break!
snow conditions
queen bodecia, Bike trips hun... come on.. ya know you want to Toofy Grin
latest report
Scarpa, I certainly do, but on a limited budget skiing has to come first. Bike trips do not work out cheap, mainly because I refuse to camp. Sleeping in fields is for livestock. Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy