Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No summer holidays?

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from the "rich person's sport" thread, I was idly wondering how many snowHead snowHead are so addicted to their winter habit that they forego a summer holiday in order to be able to afford their snow fix?

I certainly do these days. The last time I took a 'summer' holiday (in December!) was to Sri Lanka in December 2004 (and yes, I missed the tsunami by a week!) staying with a friend who was working out there for two years. At that point I hadn't been skiing since January 2000 and didn't go again until March 2006. Since then, I have decided that because only one holiday per year is possible, that I would rather it to be a skiing holiday than any other type of holiday. I expect there are other snowHead snowHead who feel this way.

I don't really get summer holidays anyway. Unless you go to somewhere interesting and explorable (we went on safari in Sri Lanka), what's there to do except lie on a beach and get skin cancer or drink yourself into a stupor? Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last summer holiday was June 1998. FIrst ski holiday was Dec 1998. Haven't been on a summer trip since I started skiing, but have been skiing twice a year since that date
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen bodecia, we still have a summer break, but only to the Alps.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have been to Tignes and Hintertux in the summer, does that count ?

Apart from that I think my last summer holiday was in 1981.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen Beaumont, that sounds like my kind of summer break! In fairness, if I could manage a second holiday then a motorcycle trip to the Alps would certainly hit the spot. But would probably cost more than going skiing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I didn't have a summer holiday this year as I'm saving my money for ski trips. I would have a summer holiday if I had the spare cash but only somewhere interesting and not in preference to a ski holiday Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We don't usually take a summer holiday although this year we had four days in the Alps as we were desperate to get away and it only cost us the fuel Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont, Have you thought about doing a houseswap? You will receive some amazing offers if you have a place in a ski resort to barter with.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skichampcouk, might be worth a go, but it would mean losing income in the winter or forgoing one of our own ski weeks. I had an offer from some Canadians wanting a three week summer break, however, they wouldn't let us use their place in Canmore during the ski season. Too many conditions and stipulations
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont, 3 weeks in Canmore in the summer isn't to be sneezed at either. IIRC its peak season pricing in Banff (i.e. hotels are cheaper in Winter) & the hiking is world class , and you can even mountain bike a lot more around Canmore as its outside the National Park.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My 3 hobbies/pastimes/interest take me on vacations in winter, spring and 1 in august (which although technically summer, is often grey, wet, bleak, windy or a combination).

Will never get me on a beach holiday, and will definitely never get me on a winter sun holiday (unless I get an extra ski holiday as compensation)

My last "summer" holiday was Disney and Kennedy Space Centre in the summer of 1987.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, hmm, but they were wanting three weeks in my peak summer time (August) ,and were only willing to exchange for a period in their low season, not in summer or in ski time.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont, I'd definitely recommend it. We swap weeks that aren't that easy to fill with holidaymakers from the UK such as the last week in Feb or the week after the easter hols, we also receive a lot of requests for summer weeks. Admittedly lots of people want New Year week and half term but you do receive lots of great offers outside the peak weeks. Last summer we had a week in a 4 bedroom house with pool near Royan and a week in a 3 bedroom house with pool near Monaco, the first was a swap for a week in winter, the second was a simultaneous swap. You end up in places you wouldn't dream of renting and I would imagine, if we were to rent something similar, it would cost us far more than we would receive by renting out our own apartment.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skichampcouk, my Feb weeks are always booked up with French visitors. Do you use anyone in particular to arrange it? Always happy to consider an exchange to another ski resort though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont, We use homelink, it does cost about £100 a year to register but you can have as many swaps as you want. Their are quite a few other organisations that operate on similar principles, try a google search for house swap and see what it comes up with.
snow conditions
I manage to get away in the summer, but it's usually 2 weeks in Scotland, wild camping (free!).
snow report
Elizabeth B, wild camping! That sounds very brave! I admit I often have the offer of a summer motorbike/camping trip with friends but I really don't do camping. I'm more of an ensuite hotel room kinda gal, snigger...
snow report
I am a very lucky girl as my grandmother has lived in Spain for the past 25yrs and as I am her favourite I can fly out and stay there whenever I like. BF has an apartment in Portugal and I normally get to go on a work jolly once a year too. City breaks 1-2 per year.

All my money goes on holidays Very Happy
snow report
We are reluctant to leave our business unsupervised so my wife usually takes the kids for a beach holiday in the summer & I skiing in the winter. I was cajolled into a holiday in Jamaica this summer, it wasn't bad but I much prefer being on a mountain to a beach. It works out pretty well as my wife doesn't do cold but she is threatening to come with me this ski season. I'm trying to decide where best to take a non-skier is. Perhaps, Wengen where she join us for lunch at the top of the world.
snow conditions
Summer holiday for me is a cheap self catering trip to the alps, it's always nice going hiking in the ski area's and seeing them without snow. Then once I'm home it's back to saving hard then planning the ski holiday, hopefully manage about 3-4 weeks this winter. wink
snow report
queen bodecia, Not had a summer holiday for 14 years in order to go skiing for one week each winter. We say each time we come back that we really aught to broaden our horizons, and our sons (who have joined us on 3 ski trips) really can’t believe we make this sacrifice, but when it gets to this time of the year, and the webcams start showing snowy scenes, and we face the reality of not seeing those amazing mountains, breathing in that fresh air, enjoying the absolute peace and serenity of the trails, the Goulash soup at lunch time, the dinner table talk of the days antics, and the warming taste Glühwein; we just cannot stop ourselves looking at flights and hotels, and we realise that all those other destinations on our list, will have to wait yet another year! Smile
snow conditions
queen bodecia, you don't quite have an ensuite when wild camping, but the world really is your toilet!!
snow conditions
Dont really take a summer holiday as such for a number of reasons. We usually do something in this country during the summer even if its just a few days out or stay with friends etc. We have however taken a 2 week ski trip every year since we started skiing ( apart from the first one ) and occacionally squeezed in another week too Toofy Grin If we had the money for a summer trip we would probably ski another week Toofy Grin

After all alot of ski trips are like summer holidays - often get a better tan than people who only holiday in the summer, can laze around on deckchairs taking in the sights. we have even BBQed on the Beach ( A Basin ) and had other BBQs in chalets. Smile I dont really consider it a skiing holiday as more of following a pursuit, its not something I'd really want to give up and so make sacrifices so we can go.
ski holidays
Ski holiday first
Summer holidays a bonus when dosh permits
snow report
Have done in the past.

We are fortunate that can afford both - but that said they are usually camping holidays. Or we book cottages FOC by using Club Card vouchers Cool
latest report
I agree. First things first - so skiing wins hands down versus a summer trip.

We are lucky enough to be able to get away in the summer as well these days but when we could only manage 1 trip per year, after discovering skiing, we made it a ski trip.

Summer trips are inevitably spent mountain biking in the Alps or hut to hut hiking trips in Austria (or a one off trip a couple of years ago - skiing in Chile..).

Mountains R Us!! Very Happy
latest report
Thinking of doing a summer holiday trip next year, possibly to Austria, maybe Switzerland as I have never been to these areas. It will be a self drive holiday.

I want mountains not cities any suggestions of where to go and what to see, wouldn't mind the opportunity to do some summer glacier skiing. Went to Annecy last summer and it was beautiful if not a little expensive
snow report
I have been fortunate this year, have had a skiing holiday in Ruka. One summer holiday in Lefkas in June and off to Kefalonia to-morrow. I think this year is a one off. But if I had only one choice it would be a ski holiday every time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What's a summer holiday???

Summer is time to work.
ski holidays
My rule is work 6 weeks, take a holiday, work another 6 weeks, take another one. Some of those will be skiing, others will be camping or a weekend break, maybe staying with friends or a week in the sun .... of course my snowHeads name is a giveaway...... wink
snow conditions
My 9 year old son recently asked me if we were ever going to go anywhere hot on holiday Confused
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, you definitely have the right name! How on earth can you get a week off work every six weeks? It's every four months for me.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, as I say, sometimes it's just a weekend. I get 30 days leave, I buy another 5 days, usually work a sunday or two or a bank holiday to get TOIL later. Last year I went away 14 times Very Happy (I know I'm very fortunate). On the other hand, when I had a week off in the summer I ended up working so many extra hours the week before I went that the extra time cancelled out the time off.

Actually, I've been a bit lax recently.... 7 weeks till my next holiday - 10 days in South Africa, back a day then skiing in Tignes for 4 days Very Happy
ski holidays
We don't take summer hols, but have one reasonably long "hot" holiday each year, normally just prior to, or over (as is the case this year), Xmas and New Year. Mrs BCj's insistence initially, but one now I wouldn't forsake.

As with the "Rich persons" thread, it's just a case of priorities and economies. In my case I just "socialize" less, and it's easy to save £20-30 each week, which if multiplied by 52, is a damn good holiday, at least for me.

That and micro-analysing all spending (Gas/Elec £409 pa saving alone.....) means we've been better off on less income this year.

I'm even on course to save about £70 on my annual Vimto spend............. wink

john.
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
I don't really get summer holidays anyway. Unless you go to somewhere interesting and explorable (we went on safari in Sri Lanka), what's there to do except lie on a beach and get skin cancer or drink yourself into a stupor? Laughing

Some of us do other sporting activities e.g. scuba-diving, sailing, hiking, mountain-biking etc
latest report
bertie bassett, I would happily go on a summer motorbike holiday if funds and time off work allowed. In fact I did this in June 2002, but I didn't go skiing for five years between 2000 until 2006. Definitely wouldn't be able to afford both and I don't have much of a social life either.

Gobsmacked by people who get 30 days holiday from work. That's crazy! It must cost their firm a fortune!
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
bertie bassett, I would happily go on a summer motorbike holiday if funds and time off work allowed. In fact I did this in June 2002, but I didn't go skiing for five years between 2000 until 2006. Definitely wouldn't be able to afford both and I don't have much of a social life either.

Gobsmacked by people who get 30 days holiday from work. That's crazy! It must cost their firm a fortune!

I think the statutory minimum is 28 days pro rata for a 5 day week!!. I get 35 days including my long service days (23 years) and priv days.
latest report
Kel, that is statutory but includes 8 bank holidays. So I get three weeks and five days (not to be taken as a fourth week) plus four mandatory bank holidays and four optional (with days off in lieu).
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
Kel, that is statutory but includes 8 bank holidays. So I get three weeks and five days (not to be taken as a fourth week) plus four mandatory bank holidays and four optional (with days off in lieu).

Yes I know but it is 28 days in total, just don't understand why you are "Gobsmacked" that some people get 30 days. That's only 2 days more than the statutory minimum. I am including Bank holidays in the 35 days leave I get per annum, but someties it suits both me and the company I work for, to work on these days. So I just bank them and take them off in Lieu. Just like sometimes I have to work 7 days a week if workload dictates this, I am salaried so the same applies if I work Sat & Sun I get to take 2 days off when workload dictates that I can.

It works for me and if I were not this flexible, I would not be suitable for the position that I am in. like Holidayloverxxx it means that I can build up days and have qaulity time off
snow conditions
I would struggle to give up either, I think I like summer holidays just as much as my skiing ones. We don't get much sun up here so a summer holiday is more of a necessity than a luxury Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy