Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glacier Skiing in Tignes - October 2009

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

long time lurker on snowHead 's, but this is my first post Smile

My girlfriend and I are booked for a few days skiing on the glacier at Tignes at the end of October, staying with a company called MountainSun in Tignes Les Boisses, on their ski and board camp deal (this one:http://www.skiandboardcamp.com/index.html).

The idea was to get a few cheap days skiing in, and as I am also learning to snowboard a little bit, a bit of time on real snow to complement my sessions in the Snowdome ahead of our main holiday later this season Smile This will be my first experience of glacier skiing, and to be honest I'm a bit nervous about it. Just wondering if anyone has been to Tignes around this time of year and would care to share their experiences or offer any advice?

Thanks in advance!
Mike.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
milky, Welcome to snowheads. take a stroll through this thread on various snowheads experiences of the same deal last year. I think there will be several there again this year too, there is another thread on the go somewhere. I'll be there a little later in December.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
milky, Welcome to snowHead
I am out with Mountainsun in Tignes from 28th Oct for 3 nights with 3 other Snowheads Very Happy What dates are you doing? We had great conditions last year so are already keeping our fingers and toes crossed Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.tignes.co.uk/webcam.htm

If you look here it looks like fresh snow up on the glacier this morning in Tignes. There 29th November Cool

Oh and milky. Welcome Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
milky, Welcome to snowHead

I'll be out there on the 28th November. My first time too (although I was booked for last year.... sad story, best not go there) so I'm looking forward to getting out there this year. Heard lots of good things about it though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This is the main ski area. For you it will be just a normal piste since they make sure to plug any crevasses - but going off piste you would be in danger from crevasses. I hear they did once lose a piste basher down a hole preparing the piste, though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went to the opening w/e at the ski & board camp with Mountainsun. I appologise for being too lazy to give a trip report.
Many people, including didn't beleive I was going skiing in September. A few cold nights at home & head starts thinking skiing.
The offer was too tempting & I was glad to escape from domestic duties, the skiing bit is a bonus.
The value is amazing with transfers, food, wine, skis, boots & lift pass included. Our easyjet flights were cheap, stress free and punctual. Geneva Airport midweek was a breeze despite in the throws of security gate arrangement change.
The hosts at the chalet were generous with extra touches for the opening w/e with a gala dinner with copious drinkable wine and even excellent cheese & port afterwards.
Throw in non-pretentious & fun company, a windless & sunny 4 days it was great to be in the mountains again.
Being the first week I was fitted out with brand new Atomic boots in shinning white & red & chose a brand new set of very attractive black cap Head Peak (?) all mountain skis - try costing that to hire. I chose a set of Atomic Race ST skis for my mate as he is so slow & I could give them a try.
The hotel staff run an efficient shuttle service up to the funicular. The funicular is like a commute to work but with the mounting excitement of the prospect of skiing.
The Glacier, to my eye is in serious retreat with the Leisse & Rossolin runs devoid of cover, which is a great shame as it takes away the best summer run and the easy slope for learners.
The first run of the day on re-frozen corduroy & a thick head was enough to shake out fillings & jar my knees.
The T-bar return ending in my buddy failing to disengage from the bar which made him not want to use it again. Shame as to return via the Telecabin involves a uphill slog to the up-lift chair. This along with the walk up & down steps from the restaurant to Telecabin should have been designed out.
I had some much needed caffeine at the Restaurant, the world becomes much better. Some fortification was really needed but I resisted the overpriced alcohol.
Lucky No altitude problems this year, the red wine must have boosted my red cells.
Beer is 7.50 euros a glass, hot meals a second mortgage, the had rows of cling-filmed wrapped salad which looked great but no takers, I guess they were destined for the bin p they would have been snapped up at a sensible price.
The snow softened and was OKish for a little while before turning to slush & bare patches but didn't damage my brand new skis.
The second days skiing was a similar pattern, the highlight being a picnic at the sumit, admiring the view and sunbathing.
I thought I would do some hiking on the third day as the skiing wasn't much pleasure. Strange as the temperature/ weather seemed little different the 'snow' skied well all the third day & we could not get enough & got the last lift off the mountain.
The fourth (half) day saw boilerplate ice & we retired early.
The minibus back to Geneva was only half ful giving a comfortable trip. The much maligned Easyjet got us back half an hour early.
I really enjoyed the break, thanks to Mountainsun & Edge to edge.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you're learning to board on a glacier, get as much padding kit as you can afford. OH's behind was blue after doing a week's snowboarding lessons in L2A a couple of summers ago. Also, don't leave a drink bottle in your breast pocket unless you have opened it at altitude - they get quite solid!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi,

Thanks everyone, that's top stuff. Thanks LechBob for taking the time to write such a detailed account too. I'm feeling a bit better about it after reading last year's thread, here's hoping we get similar conditions but I fear we may not be as lucky.
Linda, we arrive on the 26th for three days so we'll probably cross over for a day or two at the start of your trip & the end of ours! See you there Smile

Randomsabreur wrote:
If you're learning to board on a glacier, get as much padding kit as you can afford. OH's behind was blue after doing a week's snowboarding lessons in L2A a couple of summers ago. Also, don't leave a drink bottle in your breast pocket unless you have opened it at altitude - they get quite solid!

Thanks! I'm determined to nail my turns on the board so I will try and stick it out for the three days, I may chop in for a pair of skis if it's proving too painful, would like to enjoy myself a little bit as well! Smile

Cheers once again everyone, definately getting excited now Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy