Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Servicing my skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just been reading a thread about servicing and waxing on another site which reminded me that I would really like to find out how to look after my own skis. Does anyone know how I can find out how to do this? I don't mind taking them in to be done in resort or when I get home, but - I would like to know more about what needs doing. I know about waxing and edging, but I'd like to know a little more about what needs looking after on a ski. For example, how do I know if the bindings need attention? I trust my garage to service my car, but somehow, I don't feel quite the same about skis!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jane, do a search of the Equipment forum. There are several long detailed threads there that will answer your questions....and about 100 that you never thought to ask!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jane, Follow Elizabeth B's advice.....we've found enough info here on snowHeads to figure out what equipment to buy and carry out our own service (well Mr HH did the service) - the bottom of my skis now look fantastic, I can't wait to go and try them out!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jane, quit your job and apply to Snow & Rock! All joking apart they used to do demp nights where they would show you basic maintenance technique. 'don't know if they still do, worth a try.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all
The Equipment forum occured to me just as I pressed 'send' for this post!! I knew about Snow and Rock too the ice perv, but unfortunately we don't live near enough. I'm now gathering info to do it myself.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll get info on both these sites...

http://www.swixschool.no/

http://www.tokowax.com/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just checked on the Toko site, and if you click the link below, it will download their manual.

http://www.mammut.ch/mammut/uploadedFiles/waxmanual_E(1).pdf

*Warning - it's a 3.2MB file, so if you're on dialup, go make a cup of coffee (milk, no sugar, thanks)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Save your money.

Of all the skis I've had and even the set I run now (a very old pair of skis I found in a charity shop) the only maintenance I do, is run a 50mm file (kept in Jacket) down the edges to remove the burr. Most skis dont need sharpning, removing the burr brings them back into shape & this can be done in less than 10 secs for nothing.
I never wax, I dont see the point unless your in competion racing. The only other thing I check is the bindings.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeh but most don't buy there skis from charity shops ... so we kinda like to look after them. I always feel that keeping the bases moist is worthwhile and provides better runing, especially if the snow conditions are less than perfect. I can always feel the difference on sharp skis, edge grip/control on ice are improved with sharp edges. Stanton your obviously a very economical guy but service your skis and ill bet you'll feel the difference.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Perhaps I'm expecting too much but I assumed that my bindings would be checked during a service too? That seems to me more important in some ways than the edging. I know there's plenty of grease on the mechanism and I didn't put it there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmm. Never though about the bindings being checked on a wax and edge service. When I used my own skis, I got the bindings checked professionally at the start of each season..
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bindings are usually only checked if you specify a full service, if you just ask for an edge and wax then I doubt there looked at. I have just filled out a service for for Ellis Brigham at Castleford with about 6 different options which included a binding check.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
George Fishers up 'ere includes binding check foc even with just a wax ... never mind edgin. top notch guys!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've had new Ski's as well . I just run them till I break them however the last 15 years I just buy secondhand or previous models. Wax & Edge Service is a "good feel" thing . Like i said, take the burr off your skis wth a small file takes 10 secs, costs nothing 7 canmake your skis feel like new everyday !
Putting your ski through a mechanical stone grinder not only costs "way to much" but damages the skis as well. Wax only last son the skis a day or so.

I always check the bindings after all this is the most important part of your skis.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I always check the bindings after all this is the most important part of your skis.

I quite agree, but if one doesn't know what to check it's a bit difficult - hence relying on the experts. Much the same as I do with my car in fact! Come to think about it - that doesn't always work ................
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy