Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing - a rich persons sport?

Poster: A snowHead
Luxury! When I started climbing we cudn't afford a rope. Piano wire was all we ad and every time you fell you lost six fingers... IIIFFFF you were lucky!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I also came late to this thread, so sorry if all of this has been said before.

Where we live, going skiing abroad involves a flight. Driving is not a realistic option. The same applies if we want to holiday abroad in the summer.

Getting to the airport, the flight itself and the resort transfer at the other end can be broadly equivalent on either holiday. The same applies to the return.

The cost of accomodation is up to us ie we can buy cheap or buy dear, on either holiday. Theycould be the same(ish) or wildly different

Foodwise, skiing holidays give you the chance of nearly all inclusive via the chalet or full board route, in the summer it is usually self catering. My guess would be you would pay more on self catering but I havent looked at that in detail........depending on where you go out to eat you may eat better, you may not.

If we ski then we have to pay to ski. If we lie on a beach and do nothing then we have to pay to do that (sometimes) or get it for free (other times). Skiing will cost more.........but then that is because we are buying the services needed to ski, on an all day every day basis.

If we hire a boat rather than lie on the beach then that costs (quite a lot). If we hire a car in the summer then that costs as well (we tend not to hire when skiing). If instead of lying on a beach we go to Florida then we go to theme parks.........if you think a days family skiing is hefty costwise trying taking a family to see Mickey.

Skiing is more expensive than lying on a free beach with a pair of shorts and some flip flops.............but what, actually, is the point of looking at that since you are not really comparing like with like. As soon as you start adding in some "extras" to the "lie on the beach and do nothing" appraoch, the differential reduces and then it comes down to choice.

In the end of the day people pay to go skiing because they like to ski. The fact that they could lie in the sun at less cost doesnt really come into it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
........and you try telling the kids of today that rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was told by a late Norwegian colleague that as a kid he and his mates would grab their skis to play outside after finishing school each day in winter. Skiing to them was like UK children taking a football to a field.

He also complained to me his wife was keen in pine funiture. Where he came from there was nothing but pine trees so he wasn't too hot in seeing them in his house in UK.

The moral of the story could be cross country skiing is a lot cheaper. It is in the downhill skiing of paying for the lifts that is extra. If one has no equipment in the form of boot, skis, poles, snowboard, clothing, goggles, gloves, hat, helmet, etc etc and want to live in comfort in a foreign land then don't blame the sport for the extra expenditures.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 10-10-09 12:55; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mosha Marc, And they won't believe you. I was happier when I had nothing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
saikee wrote:
He also complained to me his wife was keen in pine funiture.

Did they have a mahogany bed?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
laundryman,

The guy was the chief hydroelectric engineer so I think he would trust metal more than wood.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saikee wrote:
He also complained to me his wife was keen in pine funiture.

He was lucky to find one that was keen anywhere.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am late to this thread too. What a laugh! Enjoyed reading it, thanks folks.

Is it just me, surely only a Brit could take offence at being called rich?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Depends what you go for, when I was younger a last minute trip to mayrhofen was 150 quid, ski hire was dirt cheap because the airlines didn't charge so the prices in resort were not ridiculously inflated, pot noodles for tea pre bought from tescos and a lift pass for 60 quid....was a bargain, 500 quid was much more than confortable even with excessive drinking!
Now I have a family of four to take who want proper feeding in a hotel, all want lessons, all want new kit each year as they grow and all too old for a free lift pass. So if you asked me then skiing is a reasonably priced hobby, ask me now you'll get a different reply.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Depends what you go for, when I was younger a last minute trip to mayrhofen was 150 quid, ski hire was dirt cheap because the airlines didn't charge so the prices in resort were not ridiculously inflated, pot noodles for tea pre bought from tescos and a lift pass for 60 quid....was a bargain, 500 quid was much more than confortable even with excessive drinking!
Now I have a family of four to take who want proper feeding in a hotel, all want lessons, all want new kit each year as they grow and all too old for a free lift pass. So if you asked me then skiing is a reasonably priced hobby, ask me now you'll get a different reply.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow - lots of replies to this thread!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
v1cky24, Yes, but are you any the wiser from them ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've probably averaged £2k per year over the last 20 years, including equipment, clothing etc. Total £40 k........ heck I could have paid off the mortgage ......... but I don't begrudge spending a penny of it, its the best 40k I've ever spent!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It may not be a rich persons sport but it's certainly not a poor persons one. In fact, for people living in the UK, I doubt there are many more middle class hobbies than skiing.
latest report
masmith, Yes - my observation was obviously not substantiated. Very Happy

I am from a rather deprived part of the country though, I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Puzzled
snow conditions
I do agree though, if you want to ski enough, you will make the necessary sacrifices.
ski holidays
v1cky24, true, Scarpa sacrifices stuff on a regular basis.

But they're like that in Wales, it's the druid influence.
ski holidays
My penneth for what its worth:

I am 41 and only started skiing 8 years ago, something I now deeply regret and resent! It has become a huge part of my life, so much so that I wonder sometimes if I am borderline obsessive about it.
Anyway, since learning 8 years ago, I have been taking every single opportunity to take a ski holiday. Initially the kids came with us, but they have become independent or moved out now so its just the 2 of us. We both work full time but not on massive salaries, and have always enjoyed holidaying, and still always manage a 2 weeker in the sun in summer. However, in the past couple of years we have been having 3 ski trips a season, having bought clothing, boots and skis over a period of time. Owning your own stuff may cost initially but over time and going regularly it saves for sure, even with the damned airlines increasing ski carriage prices.
I have also been lucky enough to be able to source what I would call cheap holidays for ski weeks:
£129 for a week in Sauze half board
£260 for a week in Verbier catered chalet
£150 for a week in Mayrhofen B&B
£220 for a week in Mayrhofen half board
£479 for a week in St Anton caterted chalet with 2 for 1 lift pass at £85 extra per person
£510 for my next trip to ADH catered chalet including full area lift pass

Those prices are for flights and accommodation so as always there are extras, such as the cost of eating and drinking where its not included, lift passes in most cases, and spending money where appropriate. But I think they are good prices, and as such I have felt I am getting good deals. I have come across people who have spent 1000's each on a ski holiday, just for flights and hotel, and others who feel that a ski holiday is out of their reach if they have never done it before.

I think its important to remember that on top of it all, you have to factor in driving to the airport and parking, or public transport, or if you DIY it all the other transport to get you about. I have got to the stage in lift where I can choose what I want to do, within reason, which means I will priorotise skiing higher than, for example, getting the garden fence fixed, or buying the Mrs a better car, or replacing my 4 year old slow PC with a newer model, etc etc. But I am also flexible within reason as to when I can go, and we live within 75 minutes of Stansted airport which helps, and I have a company car so driving to the airport is not a cost. Everyone is different and has their own individual circumstances, but I can honestly say that skiing DOES NOT HAVE TO BE a rich persons sport. I think it used to be very elite-ist but lilke most things in life, its has become more accessible to the masses.

But as has been said, if you want to do it, and once you have started doing it it does become a bug, an illness, a desire, a compulsion - whatever you want to call it, and once you get to that stage, you find you change your priorities and make it happen. Even if you end up putting the lift passes and flights on your credit card and paying them off until the next trip.....!!!
snow report
My penneth for what its worth:

I am 41 and only started skiing 8 years ago, something I now deeply regret and resent! It has become a huge part of my life, so much so that I wonder sometimes if I am borderline obsessive about it.
Anyway, since learning 8 years ago, I have been taking every single opportunity to take a ski holiday. Initially the kids came with us, but they have become independent or moved out now so its just the 2 of us. We both work full time but not on massive salaries, and have always enjoyed holidaying, and still always manage a 2 weeker in the sun in summer. However, in the past couple of years we have been having 3 ski trips a season, having bought clothing, boots and skis over a period of time. Owning your own stuff may cost initially but over time and going regularly it saves for sure, even with the damned airlines increasing ski carriage prices.
I have also been lucky enough to be able to source what I would call cheap holidays for ski weeks:
£129 for a week in Sauze half board
£260 for a week in Verbier catered chalet
£150 for a week in Mayrhofen B&B
£220 for a week in Mayrhofen half board
£479 for a week in St Anton caterted chalet with 2 for 1 lift pass at £85 extra per person
£510 for my next trip to ADH catered chalet including full area lift pass

Those prices are for flights and accommodation so as always there are extras, such as the cost of eating and drinking where its not included, lift passes in most cases, and spending money where appropriate. But I think they are good prices, and as such I have felt I am getting good deals. I have come across people who have spent 1000's each on a ski holiday, just for flights and hotel, and others who feel that a ski holiday is out of their reach if they have never done it before.

I think its important to remember that on top of it all, you have to factor in driving to the airport and parking, or public transport, or if you DIY it all the other transport to get you about. I have got to the stage in lift where I can choose what I want to do, within reason, which means I will priorotise skiing higher than, for example, getting the garden fence fixed, or buying the Mrs a better car, or replacing my 4 year old slow PC with a newer model, etc etc. But I am also flexible within reason as to when I can go, and we live within 75 minutes of Stansted airport which helps, and I have a company car so driving to the airport is not a cost. Everyone is different and has their own individual circumstances, but I can honestly say that skiing DOES NOT HAVE TO BE a rich persons sport. I think it used to be very elite-ist but lilke most things in life, its has become more accessible to the masses.

But as has been said, if you want to do it, and once you have started doing it it does become a bug, an illness, a desire, a compulsion - whatever you want to call it, and once you get to that stage, you find you change your priorities and make it happen. Even if you end up putting the lift passes and flights on your credit card and paying them off until the next trip.....!!!
snow conditions
Tony_H,
Very good prices but the bug has obviously bitten and the cost is inexorably moving up. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Skiing - a rich persons sport? Lets hope so & we can be spared the company of chav's & "The four Yorkshiremen" rolling eyes
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
Tony_H,
Very good prices but the bug has obviously bitten and the cost is inexorably moving up. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Probably because I have discovered catered chalets which are better all round value, but make the initial cost seem higher.
snow report
Quote:

Even if you end up putting the lift passes and flights on your credit card and paying them off until the next trip.....!!!

Hmmmmmm... not sure that is a good idea Tony_H, .

Quote:

I will priorotise skiing higher than, for example, getting the garden fence fixed

I think that maintaining the home or skiing is an iffy argument, one wants to maintain our castle.

Quote:

or buying the Mrs a better car,

Very sexist...
Quote:

We both work full time but not on massive salaries

surely a joint purchase?
snow conditions
I suspect that if you were to do a spot poll of skiers across all ski resorts in the world on a typical (non peak) time (let's say January 27th) then 90%+ of people polled would not be classed as rich. I interpret 'rich' as meaning someone who has such material wealth that they do not have to work to earn a decent living. So in my view, if 90% of skiers are not rich then the answer to OP question is no.
snow conditions
masmith, i think it depends on the definition of rich. My sister, for example, who went skiing a couple of times in her early twenties is now unable to go purely for financial reasons. She works full-time as does her husband but they have three children and a mortgage. They are not poor by any means but the £3k or thereabouts they would need for a skiing holiday puts it out of their reach.

I think if you conducted such a poll, the majority of people holidaying in a ski resort would have above average incomes and/or no children.
snow report
queen bodecia, I certainly think that if you have children and you want to ski you need to have a significantly higher budget. Especially if you have to go during school holidays which is fairly likely for those with children of school age. It seems to me inflated prices because of school holidays, multiplied by 4 and divided by less guaranteed incomes due to global recession and the hard choice will be booking the ski holiday. It may not be a case of being super rich, but you need a fair amount of disposable cash for a family holiday on the mountains.

My feeling is that those who see it as being not so expensive a holiday are the ones who have the greatest flexibility in where and when they can go. I think they probably get the better ski experience too, with piste's being empty etc.

I love skiing with my family, but the cost is becoming a serious consideration now. If you have a child over 12 they pay a full adult price, so suddenly for us it has all become much more expensive.
snow report
As a few others say, skiing is only as expensive as you make it. If you shop around you can get some real bargains on kit and holidays, your only real fixed expense is your lift pass.

It all depends on what you want/need from your holiday

If you want a massive area on your doorstep, you are going to have to go to a bigger resort which will more than likely cost more for accom and lift pass. If you don't need the big ski area, you can pick up some real bargains for example in the smaller Austrian resorts.

As with the massive ski area, if you want good child care and plenty of activities for non skiers you are more than likely going to end up looking at the bigger more expensive resorts.

Clothing, you can easily spend £1200 quid on a jacket and pair of sallopettes, equally you can get half decent kit for £60 in TK Maxx.

Ski hire, shop around online before you go, ask people on here you will probably find it a little bit cheaper than just turning up.

Eating out, if you want to do this I think every snowHead will agree, you're gonna pay through the nose for it, but you don't have to, you can self cater and eat beans all week and eat picnics for your dinner.

Beer is expensive in ski resorts. End of.

It is what you make of it and you spend what you want to spend, if you are flexible with dates etc you can do it for under/the same sort of cost a summer hol would cost. It is not for rich people, it is for everyone, its all about what you want from it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[b]johnnyh[/b' the day when we had to pay full price for our kids, was the day we started to do DIY ski holidays.
With some companies you can self-cater with them up to age 16. But forget it for a hotel or chalet holiday, after all my sons ate at least as much as I did, and were several inches taller
ski holidays
I've always had to pay adult price for my daughter who's now 13, if using a TO, as we go away just the 2 of us. Mad
snow report
I have no children and inherited my house (and my wife earns more than I do).
snow conditions
I consider myself rich when I take in view at the top of the mountain. Meanwhile the super-rich can buy a plate of spag bol in France.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 15-10-09 23:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Helen Beaumont, indeed, a 12 year old son of mine is starting to resemble an adult alarmingly quickly and the food intake is definately on an adult par. I'm seriously considering driving at the moment as that may well work out cheaper for us.
snow report
snowball wrote:
I have no children and inherited my house (and my wife earns more than I do).
Damn well organised, well done! Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy