Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing - a rich persons sport?

Poster: A snowHead
I've made an observation about the type of people I know who ski (which I might add is very few - I've only just taken it up because I've always wanted to do it). They all seem to come from families who are really wealthy and have high paying jobs, expensive cars and big houses etc. My parents could certainly not afford to pay for me to go skiing when I was younger, although it might be different for kids like me now with schools offering trips etc

I'd never thought about this before, but obviously, skiing is an expensive hobby. None of my friends say then can afford it, even though they would like to try it. I guess living in the middle of the UK doesn't help in that it will generally mean a flight to get to a ski area etc

I'm not meaning to embarrass/cause offence with this, just wondering what peoples thoughts were?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
v1cky24 wrote:
skiing is an expensive hobby.

true
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It is an expensive hobby, but you can find ways of making it more affordable. By any definition I'm a working class kid from the South Wales valleys and my parents were generous enough to get me started when I was 12 (with hindsight I now realise how generous they were). I think if people can afford a couple of weeks in the summer sun they could probably get a week in the mountains instead, so in that case it depends on choices and priorities.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
More so if you have to go in school holidays!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think if you have never skied before the idea of shelling out a big whack of cash to go on your first trip (especially if you only have 1 holiday per year) can be off putting. Once you starting going every year the costs come down (have all the gear, find ways of making it cheaper etc) but the initial outlay can bea turn off.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I noticed that a lot of my mates from uni go skiing, they would rather die than miss out on their week on the slopes. I guess they are hooked! After going for the first time last year I can totally understand.

I would really love for some of my close mates to try it, a holiday with a group of us would be a really good laugh I reckon. Trouble is, they would rather spend their money on a summer holiday Sad

We'll have to make some new friends I guess! Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, how lovely of your parents!

I am only able to start skiing now at 25 because I am financially stable, but even so, I think it was because I really really wanted to do it that made the difference.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It is expensive but I know plenty of people who tell me its too expensive but think nothing of buying new cars, a 2 week beach holiday every year, citybreaks, 48 inch plasme tvs etc. Its really about priorities.

As for flights - Scotland is easily within a weekend's drive from the North East. Silksworth is on your doorstep for learning. Accessibility isn't really much of an excuse.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agreed unless you come from a place where you have to ski to get to school. That said however to race you have to be fortunate even in these countries!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
v1cky24, It's not cheap but it is by no means a rich persons sport. If you are not fortunate enough to have an endless pit of cash then it boils down to priorities. It needn't cost a fortune and it doesnt.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
v1cky24, there were a number of kids at the race club where I coached who were definitely not from rich families - some of them had made huge sacrifices for their kids to ski regularly. I wouldn't say they were poor though, but certainly only from average income families.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, accessibility is not an issue for me, no. But then like you say, it's about priorities.

Having said that, if you wanted to take lessons @ silksworth/Xscape it is £20+ a pop. I know that my family could never have afforded that for me and my siblings on a regular basis, let alone a trip to scotland.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well gear wise

Volkl Legend 168's (skis) £51 ebay
Scott poles £8 ebay yesterday
Boots £110 Lange comfort95's off season (but that is a price of a pair of style trainers) and you can get chapies secondhand or off season.
Helmet Demon £14 ebay (new)
Gloves jacket and salopettes As cheap as you like form TKMAXX

Going there
Glasgow dryslope is free to members or £7 ish for a day
Xscape is expensive but if you get month for £145 then you have the equivalent of £30/week/weekend Do that one in a while and you get the benefit.

Abroad
costs a bomb unless you have family abroad Happy Heggellig Jei ha ikke bra Norske Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
v1cky24, it's not a cheap holiday but like the others have said you have to make a choice on what you spend your money on. I didn't take up skiing until I was about 22 or so (had to work it out there!) and I doubt my parents couldn't have afforded to pay for me or my brothers to learn when we were young. When I started I only went for a week a year. These days it's more like 3 to 4 weeks plus maybe an extra weekend but it comes at a price. We don't do big summer holidays and we're not doing as much to our house as we probably could/should. C'est la vie. Life is for living and not regretting and DH and I love our skiing so that's what we'll do.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shocked ............... does not compute.. !!
latest report
My parents weren't poor, but definitely not rich either. We went skiing every year, but summer holidays were camping trips to France in the car, whilst my friends were jetting off to Disneyland.
snow report
Nadenoodlee's right - for a non-skier that first holiday can seem like a lot of money, when you need to hire equipment, have lessons, have the right clothes before you even start to look at the cost of the actual holiday.

My parents could never have afforded for us to go skiing when I was young - 2 weeks on Bexhill beach every summer for us, and that was because my grandparents had a holiday bungalow there so it was free Very Happy

As an adult with a salary, I make choices now as to what I spend my money on snowHead snowHead
snow report
Not sure my bank balance has been much above positive for the last three years, and my fourth season is bearing down. I guess it's expensive in what you have to sacrifice, but if you want to ski it's doable.
snow report
It's an extremely expensive hobby, make no mistake. I was very lucky to go skiing on school trips in my teens, my family didn't even have to pay as I was a scholarship student! Had it not been for this I probably wouldn't have discovered skiing at all. Since then I've been on two very budget Uni trips, did a full season working in resort and seven trips by myself. That's in 25 years! I can just about afford to go skiing every season now but it's taken a long time to get to this stage working my way up the career ladder and paying off student debts. I definitely can't afford to go more than once per season. Nor can I afford a summer holiday as well. This is from someone who earns an above average salary (but has a mortgage!).
snow conditions
An Easyjet flight and self-catering in a small resort that isn't widely known and it needn't cost all that much. The clothing (and boots if you decide to carry on) and ski hire and lessons and lift pass are what put it up, but the clothing and boots will last a while. I don't have lessons any more but I hire guides which is similar, and I buy skis (I only have one pair at a time, which usually lasts, say, about 15 weeks, though sometimes much more).
But on the other hand I spend almost nothing on other clothes and unlike most people rarely throw any food away (I always make stock with any bones and giblets) and seldom buy ready-cooked meals. I run my (second hand) car till repairs become uneconomic, and my TV is about 20 years old (I'll have to buy a new one now since it is (obviously) analogue). I don't smoke and drink very little alcohol.
I'm not pretending I'm poor - I'm certainly not - but many people who consider themselves poor spend more on those things. It is a matter of choice.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 8-10-09 14:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

skiing is an expensive hobby

You are dead on the money but you dont have to be rich although it would help!

There are cheap ways to learn and to go skiing, But people have to make sacrifices.
ski holidays
I agree with others that it mainly about the choices you make. The skintest person I know always has one week on the snow every year as a bare minimum, usually two, but the rest of the time, she lives very cheaply, in a shared house, has no car, only takes a summer holiday if there is a deal for £100 or so, and so really saves up to be able to get her skiing in.

A lot of people I know think we must be loaded to have two weeks skiing a year (which is nothing compared to some people here!), but we don't usually spend much on summer holidays. We also live relatively frugally from month to month, don't eat out much, rarely go to cinema, don't buy many clothes etc. so that's where we save money. My friends who say they can't afford skiing whilst modelling a new pair of shoes that cost £xxx amount are clearly just choosing other things to spend their money on. We have also nailed the cost of our skiing right down as we have our own gear, half of the time stay in our own apartment (which pays for itself), don't usually take lessons or not all week ski school type lessons, and self-cater, so realistically we can get to the snow for the cost of the flight and liftpass if we want to. Not saying we always do that, but we can.

Each to their own I guess! But I definitely think there is a difference between the perception and the reality which leads to this 'sport for toffs' image which isn't totally accurate anymore. Vis a vis the OP, the group we normally go skiing with are not in the category of "really wealthy and have high paying jobs, expensive cars and big houses", and only one of the group skied as a child, but all of us go regularly now, so I guess that is another sign that it is more accessible today than it was, as none of us have massively 'come up in the world' since childhood.

Having said that, it will never be sport that those living in genuine poverty can afford, but then summer holidays in Spain aren't accessible to them either.

D

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 8-10-09 13:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Definitely, it isn't a cheap holiday, like most people, we weren't poor or rich but grew up not far from aviemore. My parents never skied but luckily for us our babysitter was a part time instructor! Hence, we never went on skiing holidays but did spend random days thoroughout growing up getting blown apart at the top of Aviemore in hand-me-down equipment and clothes, we loved it! Since i had my own money I'd ski every year but it's definitely a choice, I didn't do summer holidays or cars etc.

Perhaps once your mates have been the first time they would be converted! I reckon that once most people have tried skiing they would rather do that than a summer holiday, although I do have quite a few friends who disprove that point. I just consider them strange wink
latest report
Deliaskis, fair points. I have a house to myself and a car and motorbike. Yes it would be cheaper to rent a flat and not have a motorbike (my other expensive hobby!) but I choose to live comfortably and enjoy a second hobby. I certainly wouldn't want to forgoe my motorbike, my social life and new clothes just so that I could afford a second ski holiday. I would find the other fifty weeks of the year incredibly dull! I definitely couldn't do without a car as I'd be unable to get to work.

I have thought about ways to make skiing cheaper, but haven't really found anything manageable as yet.
snow report
A lot of skiing's marketing portrays it as being expensive. The upper/middle class image of the sport was definitely one of the things that put me off skiing - it looked pricey & exclusive and not for me. These days, it sounds a bit ridiculous to be put off by this but before the internet (imagine!), my idea of skiing was entirely made up of travel agents windows, overheard conversations in pubs and Ski Sunday.

As soon as we met up with a bunch of people who went snowboarding a lot, we found out that it doesn't have to be like that! It does help a lot to have friends who'll lend you gear, and once you know where to look the holidays can be very cheap.
snow report
firebug wrote:
A lot of skiing's marketing portrays it as being expensive. The upper/middle class image of the sport was definitely one of the things that put me off skiing - it looked very expensive and not for me.

Snap.

It is expensive, but not outside thereach of anyone really wanting to go. I think I saved for six months solid (spending nothing on cloths, no luxuries, not going out after rugby Shocked , extra bar job etc) to pay for my first trip.

The majority who go are rich though, and probably don't have to save to go. But that's looking at it as a holiday.

As a sport, it's not too bad. Ask anyone involved in motor sports!
ski holidays
queen bodecia, I realise that my earlier post suggested that my friend lived in a shared flat and didn't own a car, somply so that she could afford to go skiing, which isn't strictly accurate. In fact, I was describing her living situation to give an idea of her financial situation! I didn't mean to suggest that living in a shared house is an option for those who want to save money for skiing! Have edited slightly!

I guess H and I walk some kind of middle ground - we don't splash out on lots of clothes and social activities, but we don't live like hermits either. We're always busy though, I wouldn't sit at home twiddling my thumbs for 11 months of the year in order to be able to ski, but we definitely prioritise skiing over a summer holiday, and at the moment, over re-doing the bathroom wink (skiing got booked first, we'll see what's left for the bathroom!). Again, it is all relative to one's frame of reference I suppose. This kind of discussion always puts me in mind of all the supposedly skint people in Eastenders who go to the caff for a cup of tea instead of making it in their own home!

D
ski holidays
Quote:

they would rather spend their money on a summer holiday

absolutely - most of us can only afford one "paid for" holiday a year, especially when you have kids. I went skiing with school (in the '60s) because I elected to spend my entire Post Office Savings Bank money on the trip (£40). I loved it, but having spent all my savings I couldn't afford to go again until I was 40, and earning a good salary. None of my family went skiing, and like several of the posters above, we couldn' afford "paid for" holidays, either. We went to stay with my aunts in Swansea, who lived on a bus route to Caswell Bay, and within walking distance of a nice park with an outdoor swimming pool. Once I had enough income our annual family holiday was a ski holiday and summer holidays were pottering around, maybe some camping (not abroad though!). I am now an old age pensioner and have yet to go on any package holiday except skiing ones. I have tried to persuade some of my friends to take up skiing in their old age - and succeeded with one or two - but it's so hard for people with no experience to imagine just how nice it is out on a mountain in the snow and sunshine.

It is more affordable to do cheap flights and rent cheap apartments in small resorts - as said above - but that's not too practical for people starting out, with no idea what to expect or how to go about it. A last minute all-in "deal" with a tour operator is more manageable, and less responsibility for the group leader.

I am now lucky enough to be able to ski all winter, because I bought a cheap apartment in France and pay for it with the rent money paid by our lodger, who lives in a room we converted into a sort of studio/bedsit. With the kids now all living their own lives this house was bigger than we needed. The lodger keeps an eye on things when we're in France for weeks, too.

So yes, it is expensive but no, it's not just for rich people. wink It's for people who want to do it enough to give up other things. Anyone who has a new (as opposed to 5 year old) car and says they "can't afford" to go skiing really means "I could afford it but have decided I'd rather spend the money on depreciation". Fair enough, but they can't have it both ways.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
v1cky24, what decided you to go in the first place?
snow report
Deliaskis, Very Happy

It would be true dedication to live like a hermit all year just to be able to afford to go skiing! Very Happy

I still think skiing, as a holiday (which it is for most of us), is generally more expensive than a summer holiday. My ski trip to Italy (one week, half board) in March cost me around £900 all in. A colleague of mine had two weeks safari in Africa full-board with her partner for £1500!
snow report
It seems many people on here make some kind of sacrifice to go skiing, I guess this was what I was wondering about. I think firebug,s description of the marketing of the sport hit home to me too.
snow report
It seems many people on here make some kind of sacrifice to go skiing, I guess this was what I was wondering about. I think firebug,s description of the marketing of the sport hit home to me too.
snow conditions
As a skint student i spent most of my money on skiing. I got cheap flights (they were cheap then) and stayed for free with my Swiss friends in Wengen, all it cost me in addition to the flight was ski pass and spending money. I did already have my own kit though (various christmas and birthday presents over the years). I also volunteered to organise the uni trips, for which i got a free place.
ski holidays
When I was a child, back in the 60's, from a working class background it wasn't even considered. Although I went to a grammar school I can't remember there being school ski trips. Nowadays I take about 3 trips a year (mainly with my daughter) as well as a reasonable summer holiday. However being single and reasonably (although not excessively) well paid I tend to blow a large proportion of my disposable income on those holidays. I tend to try to minimise the cost so that I can go more often but it is rarely ever a cheap holiday.
ski holidays
pam w, I am a rather sporty individual and love the outdoors. I thought skiing would be another fun thing to try out, I knew I would like it.

I do enjoy my summer holiday though, and I would be unlikely to sacrifice this to go skiing. As it turns out, I am able to afford to do a 2 week summer holiday and go skiing at the moment. I would hate to have to make the choice if I was short of funds though!
snow conditions
Quote:

Although I went to a grammar school I can't remember there being school ski trips.

I don't think there were many. The one I went on was the only one our school ever did, and as it was organised by the geography teacher (who didn't ski, actually) it doubled as a geography trip - U-shaped valleys and all. wink My sister's and brother's schools never did them IIRC. It as a memorable trip. My first time abroad, and we ate whale steaks and encountered "continental quilts" for the first time. We went on a sickness-inducing ferry from Newcastle to Bergen and had skis as high as our arms could reach. And the ski instructor was lush!
ski holidays
I agree skiing, at least alpine skiing, is expensive... even for someone like me, who is living in middle of Alps. If you count 4 lift tickets (family with 2 kids for example), it's around 110-120eur/day (ok "only" around 80eur/day if they stay here in Slovenia and don't go to Austria). Then I need another 30eur for gas, another 50eur (but most likely more) to get something to eat and drink during the day, since you can't expect 10 years old kids to ski from 9 to 5 without any food. And you end up around 200eur/day. With 10-15 ski days a year, which is actually not all that much, this is around 2000-3000eur/year.
Next to this, you need equipment which is far from cheap. I just went to count now, how much my equipment would cost, and now I'm really glad I know enough of people, so I don't need to pay for this. If I, for sake of calculation, stick with just one pair of skis, boots, gloves, and jacket, it's around 3500+eur, and I probably forgot to count some of gear. Ok of course people don't need to get race gear, but even then, if you multiply this by 4, you get huge numbers. And if you need to add to this also travel costs from UK or somewhere like this, it's just getting more and more expensive. So yes, skiing is expensive sport.
snow conditions
It can't possibly be expensive. It was carefully explained by many posters when snowheads was formed that it was the SCGB who were the toffs, not us. It follows that we are the humble poor.
latest report
Quote:

It's for people who want to do it enough to give up other things.

That about sums it up - yes, some people will be in the higher salary bracket but a lot of people will just have made a conscious choice in that they are prepared to economise in other areas (or just keep their fingers very crossed that the downturn just passes them by....).

Ultimately, it's your choice whether you want to stay in a four star+ hotel or a happy with sharing an apartment or a simple b&b (obviously as pointed out before travel costs and the ski pass are kind of fixed).

In any event it is all relative a friend of mine goes travelling in South East Asia at least once a year and while the costs once there are low, just what she pays for getting there which is usually a minimum of £700 - £900 return flight but only if booked very early would pay could pay for an entire ski trip (it is the saving by spending logic). Smile
snow report
schneeflocke,
Quote:

just what she pays for getting there which is usually a minimum of £700 - £900 return flight but only if booked very early

Really? There are often flights to Hong Kong available for less than £500.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy