Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vaujany - Chalet Location

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any experiance of, or know the location of the Chalets Solneige or La Maitreya in Vaujany. A search of the forums reveals that Solneige is a mile down the road from Vaujany, however:

How does one get to and from the lifts with skis? And how easy is the mile if you fancy going for an evening drink in Vaujany?

Thank you in advance for your collective wisdom.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maitreya is much closer than Sol Neige but still quite a walk along a mountain road with no pavement. I have stayed at Maitreya and it is lovely but more a place for flopping out at the end of the day. Vaujany nightlife is pretty limited so whether you think the walk is worth it is moot
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sabreboy, What time of year are you going?

500m in a January blizzard is a different type of walk to 500m on a moonlit April evening.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
on the getting to lifts point, I visited the Maitreya when it was operated by its owners - i think now a UK tour op operates it. however, they had a minibus which would pick you up/drop you off or you could drive up
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sabreboy, Welcome to Snowheads!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you for the welcome.

We are planning to go at the start of February, and most of our group are not keen on long hikes before and after skiing, infact they prefer comfortable bars with hot chocolate.

However if there was ski/boot storage at the gondola, that would make life a lot easier.

We are generally happy with limited nightlife, a couple of beers after dinner and we are normally all ready for bed. None of us feel the need to grace any discotheques.

Oz-en-Oisans seems to be easy to get to and from the accomdoation there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One of the hire shops next to the lift station certainly used to have lockers, although it has changed hands so don't know whether they still do that

Although Vaujany is not ski in ski out, the set-up is pretty convenient. You can get dropped off right outside the lift station and there is an escalator to take you down to the lift itself. In fact there is a handy network of discrete escalators to take you up and down Vaujany village

I'm a huge fan of the place. If you are into off piste it is by far the best place to access the ADH domain, the pistes accessed directly from Vaujany are nice for people of all standards. I could go on...

However, no-one is going to pretend it is a hotspot for nightlife. If you want to ski hard, have a beer or two while the sun goes down then flop back at a very nice chalet, the Maitreya would be a good place to do that

Sol Neige gets good reviews too but I haven't been there
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sabreboy, Having spent quite a lot of time in Vaujany and now owning a place in Oz I'd say Oz sounds like a better bet for you if you can find suitable accomodation. A lot of it is ski in ski out and there are some decent cosy bars close by but after 11 pm its pretty quiet. Lovely though it is Vaujany is rather more disjointed imv, even with the fantastic escalator system, probably has a touch more alpine charm but no pistes of its own and you really dont want to contemplate walking from the lift station to anywhere outside of the main village area after skiing in early Feb (particularly having seen the avalanche which skirted the village, collecting a car on its way down, last January!).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stayed at Solneige a couple of years ago. The owners give you a lift to and from the gondola.
Food was fantastic but never felt truly relaxed as the owners eat with you in their home.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nick Dawes, Thank you for your advice. There is a nice looking catered chalet run by chilled mountain (perhaps a connection?) however they are Sunday to Sunday, and Ryanair (boo hiss - ski surcharges Smile ) flights from Edinburgh are only on Saturdays.

Jet2 seem to fly back on the Sunday (presumably for school hols, but not out on the 7th (the weekend we are setting off).

Arno,
Quote:

However, no-one is going to pretend it is a hotspot for nightlife. If you want to ski hard, have a beer or two while the sun goes down then flop back at a very nice chalet, the Maitreya would be a good place to do that
This sounds quite like our scene, thank you.

Armitageblue, Sounds very friendly, if a little unusal.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sabreboy, just looked at their website and it looks like the owners are back running it again. They are really nice and Pascal is a very good cook. If you don't think getting to and from the lifts will be a problem (they will drive you but some people get hung up on ski in/ski out) you'll have a good time there.

One "quirk" is that it is not all booze inclusive. However, we have always been shocked at how small our booze bill has been on the two occasions we have been there. Either Pascal's accounting is a bit off or they just don't gouge you for drink Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy