Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic R412 - bindings lateral release plate problem

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have these on my Atomic 11:20's. For the third time now the plastic plate on the binding has broken. This plate holds in the anti-friction device that allows for the lateral release of the binding. Not something you want to lose in the backcountry. The first two times they broke I put it down to damage in transit through airports and managed to get friendly blokes in ski shops to put a new one on in return for a beer.

The thrid time it happened it couldn't have been down to damage in transit (I drove) and I therefore dropped Atomic a note to ask what's the problem? A nice bloke from Atomic called me back earlier this week and said the binding wasn't mounted properly when I bought the ski (3 seasons ago). Apparently they put a note in the box reminding people how to do it correctly. He asked where I got them (Snow and Rock, Port Solent) and who mounted the binding (bizarrely I could remember the guy's name). Mr Atomic is going down to Port Solent today or tomorrow and will talk to them about how to resolve this.

My question is what is an acceptable solution? Can the plate be replaced, the binding remounted correctly and everything be OK. Or has this problem damaged the ski and should I therefore demand a lot more?

Least of all I will expect something for having to take the skis back to Portsmouth.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This plate?

This is the third time I've heard of this. In truth, the first time was with a Xentrix not R. Unfortunately, I didn't call Atomic when it happened to me! (2002/03 R412 mounted to an '01 9'16 SL ski)

I paid the difference for a binding upgrade to a 614, remount was free, and no plates were changed in the making of years of user happiness.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex, That's the one!

My wife has the Xentrix on an 11:20, but her skis were bought in Verbier, where I guess they read the instructions as she hasn't had any problems at all. From some other threads I've read this seems to be a real dog of a binding. Sounds like I should go for anew binding. Is the 614 a better binding than the 412?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nothing wrong with the 412's I've got.

But, I can't seem to move the toe piece back on the plate, I want to readjust them for some other boots and, thinking it was a 2 minute job, couldn't see how they worked last weekend. Anyone got the manual electronically?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steve Sparks wrote:

Is the 614 a better binding than the 412?

It was for me; I gained some (all right, a fair amount of) weight!

You might be able to get the new Twin Disc AFD and the 614 gets you 5 locking front/back positions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ise wrote:
Nothing wrong with the 412's I've got.

But, I can't seem to move the toe piece back on the plate, I want to readjust them for some other boots and, thinking it was a 2 minute job, couldn't see how they worked last weekend. Anyone got the manual electronically?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Atomic toe piece has a lever in the front. Push it to the right and it will raise a set pin allowing you to move the piece. Iif stuborn lightly tap the toe piec with a wood mallet . It should move easily then and you will feel the set pin click into each new setting hole.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy