Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski service kit

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend a good ski service kit?

I would like wax, a wax iron, an edging tool etc.
Certain reviews I have read of a couple of kits say that one thing in the kit is good, and something else is bad.

So my question is what kit do you people recommend and persoanlly use?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Neil, Spyderjon has some good kits available. Check out his website or PM him - he's a very nice chap who will honestly answer your queries about his products.

I have a Toko 8 digital iron, very quick to heat and maintains heat well throughout.

I already had a huge number of clamps and workbench tools with rubberised edges, but others swear by the 'Jaws' vice.

A good iron and an effective vice / clamp set up are the foundation purchases imo.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As fr0sty says, mosey your way over to spyderjon, who does a cracking "teach in" session at his home if you can get to Nottingham. It's well worth the trip IMHO.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another vote for spyderjon Toofy Grin Chances are he will spot this thread,though you can always PM him for more specific advice.He would not claim to be the cheapest,but the kit he sells will do the job properly,and keep your ski's in fine fettle.Lots of us use his stuff...you need any further recommendation wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
another vote for spyderjon.

Haven;t had a chance to use the new iron yet ( purchased this year), but the rest of the kit i've had for a couple of years, and its good, . V. good.

And the biscuits at Nottingham are fine.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great looks like I will be making some purchases from him then if you lot speak so highly of him!

Anyone got any links and or pictures of his stuff?!

thanks
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ta!

Really want an edgin tool, wax and iron. Is there anything else I should invest in? I already have a small portable ski screw driver
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Neil wrote:
Ta!

Really want an edgin tool, wax and iron. Is there anything else I should invest in? I already have a small portable ski screw driver

Edge tool with some diamond stones, wax, iron, scraper & brake retainer are probably fine for starting out

You could add to that a metal scraper, some repair candles for dings, a brush for final finishing....

spyderjon has a kit with most of that in it....click here

cheers,

greg
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Put a metal file on your list. And a clamp.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc wrote:
Put a metal file on your list. And a clamp.

Why Marc? I've not used a metal file for years.....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, you should only need it once per pair.

First job on any skis; set the edge angles as desired - even if they're the same as the factory settings. Those factory edge settings ca be a little variable.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whats the clamp used for?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Neil, I assume Mosha Marc means a vice. Or the clamp that holds the file to the guide. But probably the vice.....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Neil wrote:
Whats the clamp used for?

Holding the file/stone against the guide while you work.

But Jon.L is right, a vice is a nice bit of kit to get too. Once you start, you won't stop growing that kit. (so says the lazy begger who just bought a rotobrush)
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
kitenski, you should only need it once per pair.

First job on any skis; set the edge angles as desired - even if they're the same as the factory settings. Those factory edge settings ca be a little variable.

*never* done that on any of the pairs I've owned (apart from the last where I got a man that can to set them to 3 degree's)
snow report
Neil, You'll also need a decent sized toolbox to keep it all in. Otherwise, the OH complains that the purpose-built ski workbench (a la Spyderjon's website wink) in the garage is like a sh!theap Embarassed
snow report
kitenski, a sort of: no, no, no, no, yes! Reply then. wink Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

He would not claim to be the cheapest

In my experiences, for the kit he sells he usually is the cheapest. Same products elsewhere are usually more expensive.
The kit he sells is all good stuff too.
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
kitenski, a sort of: no, no, no, no, yes! Reply then. wink Laughing

Well, maybe Wink

But I still didn't need to own the b*stard file Toofy Grin
snow conditions
This thread has made me think of what cheaper options there are, and whether their cheapness comes at a price (if you see what I mean!).

e.g. I have used cheapo budget supermarket irons. They get the job done, but take a lot more effort, a lot longer, and are less reliable over all imo. I traded up for a Toko Iron and inifinitely prefer it - worth the cost imo.

what else is out there in this same vein?

buy a branded file from a ski shop and pay £4-5, the same file from a budget diy place is £1...

brushes - a nylon brush from a ski shop is £10+, the same brush (?) from a normal shop is £2...

anyone else?
ski holidays
When I started I used a workmate bench, travel iron (no holes) etc etc.

Didn't take long to upgrade though, looking back I should have saved time, effort and money and just bought the proper stuff straight away.
snow report
I would actually vote for normal "home" iron. I have been using it for years, including few years on WC (when we were stuck with Swix irons, which were totally unusable). Sure my favorite one is Toko iron, and it works better, and what is most important, it has better temperature control which is important with fluoro waxes, but much much less important with non-fluoro waxes, which I would say are most common with normal people. On the other side Swix irons (at least those from few years back) are everything but great. They have, ok I rather say they had, since I don't know how current one works, so weak heater, that it was pretty much impossible to hold right temperature. And that thing costs about 300eur in store. So compared to that, I'm all for 10eur supermarket iron.
ski holidays
Jon.L wrote:
Neil, You'll also need a decent sized toolbox to keep it all in. Otherwise, the OH complains that the purpose-built ski workbench (a la Spyderjon's website wink) in the garage is like a sh!theap Embarassed

I have two classic mini and my misses also has one (as well as the daily driver Audi ACool so the garage is always a mess with Mini parts and engines!
snow conditions
Neil wrote:
Jon.L wrote:

I have two classic minis (and another one on the way!) and my misses also has one (as well as the daily driver Audi ACool so the garage is always a mess with Mini parts and engines!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy