Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Interesting article on Piste Hors

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A thought provoking article by davidof on Piste Hors. Worth reading before you renew your holiday insurance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, but what to do? Most policies I know have clauses along those lines - in th end we hope the insurance company will be reasonable. In this case it would seem not to have been. The family could take the insurance company to court, I suppose - but with our legal system I suppose they might risk a lot of money to do that.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sad and interesting article, thanks for the read.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles wrote:
rob@rar, but what to do? Most policies I know have clauses along those lines - in th end we hope the insurance company will be reasonable.

Sorry but the obvious answer to this is get an insurance policy that gives full coverage as opposed to buying second rate operator package insurance deals. BMC Insurance comes to mind instantly though i'm sure there are many others as well.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Insurance companies are bookies - they are betting everything will be ok - you are betting it won't. They will always try and shift the odds in their favour.

The idea that an avvy risk of 3 automatically precludes all off-piste is patently gaga. To bill the parents of the dead kids is just sick.

The trouble is - as the changes of underwriters and insurers of the SCGB policies shows - things do change from year to year. Difficult to keep track.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stoatsbrother, I believe that more fatalities occur at avalanche risk 3 than at higher risk levels.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I assume that they have also taken their case to the Insurance Ombudsman, having first complained to the insurers. No legal fees involved.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David L, Indeed - but more skiers go out - what is the fatality rate per skier hour?. I think pistehors has looked at that previously in more detail. Surely at level 3 - the skiable terrain reduces considerably - but it doesn't mean everything off piste is out?

The issue here appears to be that the insurers took their assessment from a brief report, rather than more detailed expert opinion.

Quote:

"....asked Alain Duclos, an expert witness on avalanche incidents for the French courts, to investigate.

Alain points out that skiing at risk 3 is considered acceptable by both mountain professionals and recreational skiers...."
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
frank4short wrote:
achilles wrote:
rob@rar, but what to do? Most policies I know have clauses along those lines - in th end we hope the insurance company will be reasonable.

Sorry but the obvious answer to this is get an insurance policy that gives full coverage as opposed to buying second rate operator package insurance deals. BMC Insurance comes to mind instantly though i'm sure there are many others as well.

The BMC policy - underwritten by Fortis.

Look at page 10

Quote:
What is not covered
b) Deliberately putting yourself at risk
(unless you are trying to save someone’s
life).

So we are back to hoping for a reasonable interpretation - in this case of what 'Deliberately putting yourself at risk' means.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ANyone seen the trailer about travel insurance on BBC World? The insurers are tightening up and the BBC are looking for case studies for a feature on it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy