Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemel HempsHempstead Centre

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from a 2 hour ski at Hemels snow centre.
After a couple of years off since my accident I feel it was a good idea to have a little practice before Januarys Les Arc trip.

It took a couple of runs to get back into it but after that I felt more confident and a little less nervous about hitting the slopes again after such a long break from it.

Also, I am a lot fitter than I used to be. I have just gone through a gruelling 8 months of gym sessions at least twice, normally three times a week and sometimes daily except sat sun) At gym I run for 10 minutes then spend 30mins to an hour cycling. I then do some upper body weights (nothing over the top) then push myself a little more doing legs weight (Three sets of 12 @ 60kg one set of 12 @ 80kg and one set of 15 @ 100kg, my leg muscles are getting pretty big now!) This exersise was to perpare me for the London to brighton bike ride which I completed, but I have maintained it since then. I dont think this is bad for someone who was just over 16.5stone last Christmas!

The difference in my ski control with the "slimmer and leaner me" is noticable, I certainly feel a lot more control through my legs being stronger and hope it means if I do have a fall, my body will cope with it better seeing as my muscles are stronger all round and I dont weigh as much now.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On the subject of Hemel Snow Centre, I just wanted to say that I went there for the first time last week and was very impressed. It's much better than Tamworth or Milton Keynes for various reasons, although it's a shame it's a bit further to go from where I live. I would certainly recommend it for a pre-holiday warm up.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Really? I havent been to the Milton Keynes one but I was under the impression that was the better one? I thought Milton Keynes was longer and had a couple of turns in it?
I enjoyed Hemel, but as with any small slope i did start to get a little bored after a few hours. Its easier for me to get to Hemel, as I live in London at the bottom of the M11 and not far from the M1
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Neil, You can do a slalom around the pillars if you like. MK is slightly longer, but HH is more 'open' and, AFAIK, has the better snow. Been there but haven't skied there yet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Neil, MK is much the same, a little longer perhaps. Tamworth has a turn in it but on the one occasion I went, found it very icy. Hemel is better than both IMHO.

Also can I interest you in a repeat visit this coming Saturday? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would love to but I have my neice over this Sunday. I will be there again on the 31st Oct if your about?!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Neil, once a month is enough, even for me Smile

There will be another two clubs - 14th November and 12th December (and maybe more next year Smile)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The reason I preferred Hemel is that it is wider and doesn't have the pillars running down the middle. Also, even though it is technically a bit shorter than MK, it doesn't feel like it because you can ski all the way to the bottom, whereas the amount of slope furniture (rail slides etc) that they have at MK means the last 10-20 metres you have to ski down a narrow bit to avoid them and so less room for turning.
MK also charge a fortune for parking and keep your £1 locker fee, so if you forget something in your locker and go back to it, you have to pay twice. At Hemel, the parking was free and it returns your locker coin.
Tamworth is a bit rubbish because it has a blind corner at the top so you can't really get going properly for the first section.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do the lifts break down once every run like the ones at chillfactore and MK?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
narc, no. They do sometimes stop, mainly because someone has allen off the lift rather than a mechanical shutdown.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TallTone wrote:
Neil, once a month is enough, even for me Smile

There will be another two clubs - 14th November and 12th December (and maybe more next year Smile)

I am only going twice this month because the misses and I had a week off and it was something to do, and we both wanted a quick refresh before we go with friends! Didnt want to look to rusty! snowHead

curry-queen wrote:
The reason I preferred Hemel is that it is wider and doesn't have the pillars running down the middle. Also, even though it is technically a bit shorter than MK, it doesn't feel like it because you can ski all the way to the bottom, whereas the amount of slope furniture (rail slides etc) that they have at MK means the last 10-20 metres you have to ski down a narrow bit to avoid them and so less room for turning.
MK also charge a fortune for parking and keep your £1 locker fee, so if you forget something in your locker and go back to it, you have to pay twice. At Hemel, the parking was free and it returns your locker coin.
Tamworth is a bit rubbish because it has a blind corner at the top so you can't really get going properly for the first section.

Eeeeek! thats a bit of a gip! Think I will stick with Hemel then. I did like it there. Plus its closer for me. Only about 30 to 40 mins in the Audi, takes longer in the mini though!

narc wrote:
Do the lifts break down once every run like the ones at chillfactore and MK?

They were fine while we were there. They did stop the left side and start the right side at one point, but the change over only took about 10 seconds so no biggey.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy