Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites in Mid-December - crazy?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

My trip to Tignes is in tatters Sad Now, in order to team up with my Eastern European inlaws, a crazy idea has sprung up to take a trip w/c 12th Dec.

Long story short, there's a short list of St. Anton or Selva. St Anton is the better snow bet of the two but the Dolomites are better placed for the others travelling by Road (and a lot cheaper). I can't find any decent info about snow in mid December there but know it's a bit erratic at the best of times. Does any bright snowHead have any info?

Thanks a mil
Rebecca
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know they have very good snow making in the Dolomites and skied there a few years ago at New Year with perfect snow on piste and grass at the sides! Had same experience one New Year in St Anton also. It really depends where the weather comes from. But at that time of year they will be little demand for rooms so maybe wait until you see where the snow falls before you book anything, or pick a central airport where you could cover both options easily, Innsbruck would be a good one as close to both ski areas.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Selva is at 1500m with the skiing going upto 2300 or tha Marmolada at 3100. I thought St. Anton was lower than that.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 5-10-09 15:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
MissRibena, am I remembering correctly that your inlaws were from Romania?

Do they have to drive? Unless there are more than 2 persons involved, flying on a low cost airline such as Blue Air or Wizzair could work out cheaper. I know, I've just booked for my parents who will come from Romania. (Funny, I had a shortlist of three including Selva and St Anton, but ended up booking for Alpe d'Huez).

Statistically I think St Anton has a better chance of good snow but of course it could be different this year.

Marmolada is a glacier so yes there should be some snow, but it takes a LOT of yo-yo-ing on lifts (or almost an hour's drive across a pass) to get there from Selva.

But for 12 Dec, especially if they drive, I'd say book the accommodation at the last moment depending on where the snow comes. I'm sure there will be rooms.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
horizon wrote:

Marmolada is a glacier so yes there should be some snow, but it takes a LOT of yo-yo-ing on lifts (or almost an hour's drive across a pass) to get there from Selva.

Why drive? Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mollerski, in case there isn't enough snow to ski it, of course. Since this was the point of the thread...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
horizon wrote:
Mollerski, in case there isn't enough snow to ski it, of course. Since this was the point of the thread...

I've been to Selva for the 2nd week in Dec for the last 3 seasons and have never seen grass. They have 90% canon coverage, out there. The Sella Ronda gets blasted as soon as temps drop in late Nov.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skiing cannon snow in Dec is for losers. Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MissRibena, last season was epic in mid-december across the Dolomites, the best early season snow for decades.

No guarantee of a repeat this winter, but all areas plan to open for business before your dates:

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en-US/104EN.html

World Cup Downhill Competition is 16-19th Dec 2009, might be worth a look (and might be a bit busier accommodation-wise that week):

http://www.saslong.org/?pagid=223&newlang=eng

AFAIR never been cancelled due to lack of snow, there is massive snowmaking capability here.

If you can leave the decision as to where to stay till nearer the time, that would be a good idea. If there's poor snow on the Italian side, it'll probably be better on the Austrian side and vice versa.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops wrote:
Skiing cannon snow in Dec is for losers. Wink

It beats pie and chips on the sofa. Razz
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't knock pie and chips - it's one of my culinary favorites -but it has to be served with mushy peas Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone - not a complete white-coat job so. I'll give it more thought.

horizon, yes, you are spot on on the Romanian angle. I'll check about flights but there's a 'gang' of them coming in theory (could be pie in the sky also).

I had a moment where I considered Kaprun as well but if you get good snow, it looks like you're in a restricted area. I suppose I'm looking for a miracle really; somewhere where there's a glacier for emergencies, a good ski area if there's decent snow, a 'reasonable' chance of white stuff in early/mid December and east of Switzerland but still mainstream.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MissRibena, here's a map showing the Austrian glacier resorts, click on the little squares to see more details/piste maps, etc:

http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/gletscher/

The 2 largest are the Stubai Glacier and the Hintertux Glacier, they also have plenty of lower altitude skiing in the valleys leading up to the base areas if the snow is good.

The Kitzsteinhorn Glacier near Kaprun is a bit smaller but there's a lot of lower skiing in the vicinity if the snow is good, not just on the Maiskogel, but across the valley at Zell am See and Saalbach-Hinterglemm.

Click on the 'all ski resorts' tab above the map to see the lower resorts
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MissRibena wrote:
I suppose I'm looking for a miracle really; somewhere where there's a glacier for emergencies, a good ski area if there's decent snow, a 'reasonable' chance of white stuff in early/mid December and east of Switzerland but still mainstream.

That sounds like you are looking for the Dolomites Smile

It has all of those, although the glacier is closer to Arabba than to Selva.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MissRibena, Go to the Dolomites - great time of season to go...empty mountains and usually great snow that time of year - certainly the last 6 years I've been going!
snow report
Joanne Mountainsun wrote:
MissRibena, Go to the Dolomites - great time of season to go...empty mountains and usually great snow that time of year - certainly the last 6 years I've been going!

With all these assurances about early snow conditions, I know I'd rather be in the Dolomites than anywhere else I've ever skied. snowHead

Now just a question of which resort to base yourself in. If Selva and Val Gardena are going to be a bit busy with the World Cup skiing, it might be worth considering Arabba or Corvara, these might be easier to get to for people arriving by car from the east too. Also depends on which airports you can fly to from the UK.

Innsbruck is easiest for Selva/Corvara, Verona is good for Selva. Venice & Treviso airports are probably best for Arabba. All resorts are doable from all airports but some will need crossing mountain passes which are liable to closure in snowy conditions (and a long diversion), that's why I'd recommend the valley approach to each resort.

Then there are far-flung airports which may be worth doing if the cost/timings are right: Brescia, Bergamo, Trieste, even Bologna or Munich.
snow report
http://www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/albergo-frohsinn : Catered chalet right on the piste above San Cassiano - two lifts to Corvara and on to Sella Ronda circuit, but away from the business of the circuit. Close to Hidden Valley, can be in Arabba 1/2 hour...lovely, lovely, lovely! (Roll on 20th Dec when I'm heading that way myself). Laughing
snow conditions
Joanne Mountainsun wrote:
http://www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/albergo-frohsinn : Catered chalet right on the piste above San Cassiano - two lifts to Corvara and on to Sella Ronda circuit, but away from the business of the circuit. Close to Hidden Valley, can be in Arabba 1/2 hour...lovely, lovely, lovely! (Roll on 20th Dec when I'm heading that way myself). Laughing

We're there on the 19th. Very Happy
snow report
Looking at the snow record for Selva for the last 7 years I notice that, though there was some natural snow every year on the 2nd week of December there was none on two of the years the week before (or rather, n/a).

High/Low slopes 2nd week Dec 1982-8:

70/5; 92/21; 30/19; 70/50; 25/8; 30/20; 150/90 cm
snow report
Thanks everyone. Looks like we're off to the Dolomites!! woohoo - fingers crossed for some snow. I'm thrilled actually as we had a trip planned before and it fell through due to financial disasters and I've wanted to go there since a snowhead (Roy Hockley, I think) gave it a huge thumbs up a couple of years back.
ski holidays
The Dolomites have possibly the most spectacular scenery I've seen anywhere. If you were skiing off-piste I'd have said you were much too early, but I bow to others concerning the pistes at that time.
snow report
snowball wrote:
Looking at the snow record for Selva for the last 7 years I notice that, though there was some natural snow every year on the 2nd week of December there was none on two of the years the week before (or rather, n/a).

High/Low slopes 2nd week Dec 1982-8:

70/5; 92/21; 30/19; 70/50; 25/8; 30/20; 150/90 cm

I would think that the n/a refers to the week before the official opening of the ski area, hence no recorded measurement. Selva/Val Gardena isn't scheduled to open until 4th December 2009, so the first week in Dec may show up as n/a.

Cortina and Corvara/Alta Badia are scheduled to open 1 and 2 weeks earlier, so they must be pretty confident of skiable terrain even if it's man-made snow, last season the cannons were going full pelt in November.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy