Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2009/10

Poster: A snowHead
jo reuben, well it's not in Les Gets, but this area has many of the advantages of Les Gets, but with a better snow record and not so many Brits everywhere you look. MGM are doing a lot here - their latest venture is just next door to us, not yet started construction, but quite a few sold already I think. Not cheap, though! Prices seem to be very firm; there's much talk of French property prices dropping but there's not much sign of that round here at the moment, and MGM seem very confident - they have one place being built now, the one next to us which starts this spring and they have bought other plots.

this aerial view shows the site of the new development - to the right of ours, which is at the top of the buildings. Ours is second from the left, in the front row. http://www.mgm-constructeur.com/programme-immobilier~~les-saisies~la-perle-des-alpes~page-vue-aerienne-846.html

We have friends here who bought an apartment as a joint venture, and others who bought between three couples - makes it more affordable but as they all have school aged children it's problematical working out "who has it when". In the case of one apartment, one family wanted "out" because of some financial difficulties at home, and the others were very keen to hang to it, so are buyin them out. As they want to use it themselves at Christmas/New Year/half term/Easter they lose out on the peak weeks for letting.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
8am Champery is white!!!! Did not think I would say this but I need some sun now!!! My daffodils and pansies!! Seriously though it snowed about 5-10cm up top and has made it all white again. Good news for the International Piste Bashing Championships in Les Crosets this week. They have been pimping their Piston Bullies all weekend in prepartion!! think qualis are Tues Weds Thurs and Friday Finals?? Anyway, relocated the box marked thermals and have donned my Goretex again for some new snow fun! Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, a light sprinkling of snow this morning; very pleasant. snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep...sprinkling in Morzine....

Drag on Super Morzine now shut
Super Morzine and Mossettes shut on 18th
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also all white again when we woke up this morning in Les Gets - made all the local runs lovely first thing, having dropped the grand-daughter off at ski school at 9. Surprising how quickly those 2.5 hours go - really cold out too, should have had the thicker gloves, and very grateful I had stuck thermals back on. And yesterday we were able to have lunch outside in the sun.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes has been snowing again, steadily, down to village for the last couple of hours or more. Just come in now reluctantly. Good job Grains d'or chair was very quiet this afternoon as I attempted Myrtilles and made total hash of it. I have got to have more confidence with those darn moguls Toofy Grin The easiest bit was when I left the piste for a little bit and managed to avoid several.
I was with my 11yr old who was amusing (and good) in 'instructor' mode Laughing Now make your turn there mum.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Throwing big flakes down again in the village and up top! Made for interesting going for my four beginners this morning! Not much piste bashing had taken place on this side.....Last week parties I fear and pimping the piste bashers for the comp!!! They battled through the new snow with sticky unwaxed rental skis!!!
Thoroughly enjoyed it and now booked for the whole last week!!! Thanks to the new snow!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Superb day's skiing Very Happy came in at 3pm though could probably have gone on longer as the snow is great. Finished with a drink on a sunny terrace soaking up sun at top of Nauchets, turned to see a very dark cloud coming from Morzine direction and hey presto, it's snowing AGAIN!

Saw two lovely things today which made me smile (and cause some irriation to my eyes wink ) - girl of about 11 in a sit-ski absolutely squealing in delight. And two young kids of about 6 giving an adult on a sit-ski a mighty push to get him going on a plateau Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agree with Lou, the snow is wonderful again here in Les Gets. Minus 5 first thing this morning and the sun was out - really lovely and very few people around. Grand-daughter doing very well with the 360 ski school and they seem to be whizzing around the mountain now. And snow settling on the roof again.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, the old girl got us here in one piece, and with only a very minor check under the bonnet as we came off the Autoroute in the evening an all-round very pleasant drive through France.

First day was fairly cloudy and snowing, but the conditions made it all worth it. I'd considered in the morning the soft shell, but definitely a day for jackets and goggles!

Great morning skiing this morning. Proper trip report when we get back, but blue skies, a few inches of fresh snow from yesterday and last night, and really properly baking hot - at lunchtime I got a bit sunburned, and it was too hot getting back into ski jacket after lunch!

Very impressed with Morzine so far, hopefully we'll get a bit of a cold night and some sunshine tomorrow, looks like both entirely possible.

Managed to meet up with summer earlier who was clearly very happy with the conditions, such a lucky gamble for us to come out so late but seems to be our luck this season.

Roll on tomorrow, more suncream required and hopefully more quiet pistes up top with nice coating of snow on them Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Off to Avoriaz today to meet up with friends. Forecast for LG better though, shouldn't have looked though has been off the mark a bit over last couple of days Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Deserted run from top of Mossettes to Les Crosets at 2pm today! Heaven, firm underneath with flat layer of sugary 2 inch deep snow on top.....Flat out with big big smile, top to bottom. Only a few skiers and boarders between Croset and Planachaux with lovely lovely conditions. The low air temperatures up high and occasional cloud cover kept the runs good for most of the day too. Hope it stays like this until we close on this side (Sunday) Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh no! Looks like Mosettes and the runs down the Lindarets valley will be closed for the weekend of 23-25 April when we are out! That cuts our options down a bit. Pre La Joux area in Chatel will be open plus the link into and out of Lindarets to get to Avoriaz but nothing on the Swiss side. Last year we had both the Swiss and French runs from the top of Mosettes open plus the Les Crosets/Planachaux area. I can feel a trip to Verbier for the Saturday coming on.

News release from the Avoriaz website available here: http://www.avoriaz.com/station-alpes-france/documents/928-fermeture-rm-avoriaz.pdf (sorry - dont know how to do a proper link)

summer, Thanks for all the reports this season - keep them coming for the next few days.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skied Pre la Joux today. Cold and Icy to start with hard pistes. Overcast and easterly wind so didnt warm up as quickly as expected. we finished at 2pm (took 4 hour pass but should have done a full day pass) and pistes deserted but only just starting to get sticky. Linderets/Avoriaz tomorrow
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
summer, must have just missed you on Mossettes yesterday - we were there at about 2pm! Enjoyed that run though my legs had had it for the day so probably didn't go quite as fast as you. Some swanky piste bashers about at the bottom Laughing Thinking we might stay in Avoriaz next April so we can go a bit further on Swiss side each day. Enjoy end of season.

Last day in Les Gets tomorrow Sad It really is remarkable how the pistes are holding up.
snow report
Looks like another lovely day in Les Gets (yawn, yawn) about minus 3.8 just now and lots of frost outside. Yesterday was a very good day - as Lou, says the pistes are holding up brilliantly, Chamossiere at 9.30 was deserted and excellent. The Melezes right down to the Perrieres lift was fine and we did that a few times. Bigger than ever smile from grand-daughter on being collected from ski school - from falling off the drag lift the day before on first day of learning that she had been on it again lots of time and not fallen off once. And we met up with Lou, and her family for a drink - lovely to see them all again.

Here to the bitter end in LG at the weekend and then a couple more days skiing in Avoriaz.
snow conditions
Blue skies and similiar minus 3 on this side this morning....Not teaching and ski school bar-b-q on a hill near you!!! Should be a great day for a blast. Or even take a glass while watching the piste bashing final with what look like alpine versions of long haul truckers..... Sadly not a Big Breakfast Bap and mug of tea in sight.

Two days left on this side then its all over....Forecast is sun all the way through until Sunday afternoon when the Volcanic ash is likely to strike! Happy ski everyone!
snow report
How sad to see the season is finally closing on LG... as it does every year. rolling eyes I guess I'm wistful because I didn't expect to get out there this year, what with t' recession. Already well into the plans for next year though. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Another good day in Les Gets, cold overnight and fresh snow over on the Chamossiere. All looking pretty respectable still and those few people that are here have had a great week.
latest report
Lovely, lovely, skiing again this morning. After tonight there's just another week on part of the Les Saisies domain - part of it closes tonight.
ski holidays
Superb last day for us. Though I made a complete hash of Les Creux this time Evil or Very Mad , Arbis was excellent and did that twice. The very nice man in Les Blanchots added a (large) rum to my choc chaud for 50cents which on reflection would have helped before the black (have done that one before so why I froze I do not know).
Have skied here in April for the last four years and Les Gets has not let us down, this year more than ever Very Happy

Good to see you again too Pamski.

Hope anyone left has a Bon Ski and good party.
snow report
Its all finishing here too...Just had breakfast for the first day this season on the patio looking straight at the Dents du Midi!! Not too many days this season where we have even been able to see them! Blue skies...No black ash in the sky just yet and pistes look perfect on the webcam. All heading to Avoriaz for Chez Flo party! If you seem someone wobbly on teles say hello!
snow report
I had a great day today at Morzine/Les Gets. I'd say about 60-70% was open, Nyon and Mt Chery being the main closures, and runs to both resorts were open.

As expected for this time of year it was pretty hard-packed first thing, softened so it was great on piste between say 10.30am to 2.00pm, then rather slushy and sticky after that. Therefore I took a late lunch at Lhotty's in blisteringly hot sunshine, and only had 4 or 5 runs after that as conditions worsened.

It was incredibly quiet as well today, the maximum wait for a lift being about 30 seconds. I didn't see another soul all the way down from the top of the Pleney Gondola to resort.

And bargain of the season - a full day's lift pass was only 10 Euros Very Happy
snow report
Agree with Whitters, that it was incredibly quiet today. We had our 5 year old grand-daughter up on the Chavannes just after 9 and felt as if it was just us and the mountain - her little legs coped very well with the hard-packed snow and she was really good fun to ski with. She and our son should be flying back to JFK in the morning - but who knows perhaps we will have to go and hire the skis and helmet for her again if Geneva doesn't open.
snow report
Last day this side, no volcanic clouds just yet, but a little overcast. 3 degrees at 8.30am. Not a vapour trail to be seen in a clear blue azure sky all day yesterday.
Off up for our last ski over to France and here on the Swiss side. After today its drives to Linga, Morzine or even one of the remaining Swiss resorts open.
Happy ski/board today and remember to smile!
snow report
summer, As a matter of interest, how long does it take you to drive to Linga?

We were meant to be over there for the last week blast, but alas the ash put an end to that!! Sad
snow conditions
Roy Hockley wrote:
summer, As a matter of interest, how long does it take you to drive to Linga?

We were meant to be over there for the last week blast, but alas the ash put an end to that!! Sad

Driving from Champery takes about 30 mins. Down between Val Dìlliez and Trois Torrents turn left to Morgins (Quick short cut) then over to Chatél and left to Linga. Where are you coming from??
latest report
Anybody fancy a snowHead 's slide around and light lunch one day this week. Or a picnic.
Maybe RDV in Lindarets or Plain Dranse about 10.30 so people can get over from Linga and Morzine.

Thinking maybe Friday ?
Post here if you are up for it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitters, L'hottys open on Saturday? Hmm they told us they were closing on Friday when we stopped for last drink on last day ie... no cream left, no this, no that Laughing
snow conditions
We had a great short morning over in Linga, didn't realise we were quite as early as we were as just no cars anywhere, no people to get past. Managed to squeeze in a quick cup of coffee on the way down to that big new lift on the third run down, and then a rather early in the day glass of wine at the Ferme on the way back to the car at Ardent. Almost spooky first thing as no-one else seemed to be around!

Now back home trying to work out logistics for family members - but if nothing else happening we will be out again tomorrow.

DallyPaul, nice idea - sadly I think we have to start moving back on Wednesday/Thursday.
snow conditions
summer, It is accamdemic now as I am stuck in sunny Ireland. Had hoped to get over this week for the last week of the season. Was taking my mother for a trip and a few excursions were on the cards so was thinking of driving through some of the gorgeous villages there! Have to wait for next year for the sliding, will get out end of May for a long weekend. Jobs to sort out in the apartment out of season! Sad
snow report
Last ski up in Avoriaz this morning - very, very quiet just after 9 and the Coupe du Monde was lovely, then over to the various reds around the Chavanettes for a while. Then the Fornet which was quite different, much more crowded with quite a few classes and getting soft early. Back over to the Lindarets area via the Combe de Floret, quick drink (rather early in the day but last visit) and a coffee at the Ferme.
snow conditions
Well its all over for me, Champery is deserted apart from the odd lone Brit family wandering aimlessly around...Looking longingly for a bar or cafe to be open so as they can net surf and find out if they will ever get repatriated!!! No such luck sadly, every thing is closed up and the locals have packed their cars and departed for hotter lands!!!
I am now packing the skis in the garage for next year and getting the bikes out ready for the Mountain Bike Season to begin here. The thought of getting fit is hard to digest but has to be done! Clients do not want an unfit Bike Guide/Instructer!! Happy remaining ski to all and come to say Hi in Champery if you are around this SUMMER....Flights pending!!!! NehNeh
ski holidays
We're packing up over here, too. Beautiful sunlit mountains this evening- very sad to say goodbye to them, for some weeks at least, though we're looking forward to seeing the family and friends at home, too.

We went in Les Saisies to buy some large chunks of Beaufort today - the whole village is open and in full swing, all the local lifts open because the snow cover is so good - usually only one side still open for this last week. We were surprised how many people were still skiing down our home run at 4 pm today when we drove out - it must have been pretty slushy. Still, it's good to see so many skiers still around and hopefully that will encourage them to remain open till this late next year too. Even the steep black run down to village level at 1600m, fairly south facing, and with no snowmaking, is well covered, though beginning to look a bit brown and grotty in patches - it'll just make it through till Friday, I think.

I don't think I'll be mountain biking this summer, somehow, but have done some steep walks during the last week. Occasionally trekking through some snow in shady places but mostly enjoying the new growth - violets at lower altitudes and primroses and dandelions up here. Even saw a couple of bumblebees yesterday; I hope they survived the night.

Happy Spring, folks. snowHead
ski holidays
Summer, thanks for all the snow reports this season. We are still planning to catch Fri-Sun in Chatel. Flights seem unlikely on Thursday night so we have got a Dover Calais ferry booking and are going for a road trip. If anyone is in the Pre La Joux area on Friday and sees 3 guys yawning a lot that'll be us! Please update on snow conditions if anyone is still there!
ski holidays
Well the planes may have started but we're not risking it. Road trip for us. Any ideas on conditions? If DallyPaul, is still planning to meet on Friday we will look out for him. I've never met another snowhead in the flesh!
ski holidays
On the balcony with a G+T and 15C indicated! A bit of a slush-fest today. We arrived at 03.30 after driving out. Only got on the lifts at 10.00 with getting into the apartment, 4 hours sleep and hiring skis so probably missed the best of it. Started at Pre La Joux and covered all 3 lifts above there before moving to Linga. Top part great and the black on skiers left as you approach the gondala good - very sugary on the lower part. Then over to Avoriaz and Coupe du Monde to Prodains (bottom half very slushy) before a couple of runs round Fornet and Choucas and a stop at the crepe hut. By now we were all shot after the journey out so back home with spectacular crashes for everyone. Chris blamed the Head Supershape Magnums so we swopped them for X- wing Tornado Tis. Bet he still crashes in Verbier tomorrow!
ski holidays
Back to Chatel today after a great day in Verbier on Saturday. Chris managed to stay upright on the new skis. At Pre La Joux at 8.30 - pity the lifts didn't open until 9.00! On the second chair up and there was no-one around. Snow was remarkably good for 25 April - hard first thing, perfectly groomed and softening by 10.00 to make it really flattering on the technique. Skied 3 laps down to Les Combes then down to Linga mid station - both superb - then the 3 runs from Cornebois. Over to Avoriaz for a final run down the Coupe (good condition) and Crot (very chopped up). Arare down to Avoriaz then back over to Plain Dranse. By now we only had 45mins left on our morning only pass so managed one run each on Combes, Cornebois and Chaux des Rosees and down to the Perdrix Blanche for lunch. Had a shower, packed, locked the apartment and now we are just passing Chaumont on the A5 heading for the 02.15 Seafrance from Calais. Work tomorrow but well worth it and a great end to the season.
snow report
This was Les Gets at village level on 17 April 11am 1172m (from my phone so forgive quality) as we were packing snowHead

Sadly couldn't persuade OH to forget going home....
snow conditions
Lou, Lhotty's was open with a limited menu: Tartiflette, an omlette, Mont D'Or cheese....that was about it.

I probably would have gone for the Tartiflette anyway so I was pretty happy. There was a huge group of French there though getting steak and chips and other dishes not on the menu. I guess they must have arranged this in advance, but it didn't stop them getting a few envious glances from some of the other customers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy