Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Handmade "Rip'n'wud" skis? We just bought some...

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone skied them? Handmade. Limited production (obviously)...

http://www.ripnwood.com

Very disturbingly;

1. I broke Rule #1 - always try before you buy

2. They're 93mm underfoot. Not quite Dobermann SL-Rs then, are they?

But they are beautiful...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
very pretty!
which topsheet did you go for?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Handmade, limited production skis? Shocked

You're going soft in your old age my friend. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I presume you've gone for the Freeride carve? Which gives you a turn radius of 17m/19m - which should be fun.

I look forward to seeing them in action snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno, both clear to the wood and no graphics - last year's ski in both cases. Very, very pretty but not quite as sweet as this years with the dark American Walnut finish. Those are really, really gorgeous.

FlyingStantoni, yes, FRC indeed - don't understand why the all mountain is skinnier but rated more for off piste - I'll ask. I don't know how soft I'm going but I've got 186cm and Soph has 177cm.

I can't wait.

Seems a top bloke who makes them, 1/2 Californian, 1/2 Canadian. Ex-WC DH. He makes 12 pairs a day (!).

Oh and Vist Quicklock bindings so you can also look forward to trying them out.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if i was buying those i'd be torn between the no graphics and one one with the japanese waves over natural wood
looking forward to reading the review
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No recommended mounting point? (or just missing from the web shots?)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mounting guide here http://www.ripnwood.com/MOUNTING_CARD.pdf
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shocked
DM!!

After all those fat ski rants too. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mosha Marc, Embarassed Embarassed I know, I know...

Arno, the waveswere nice but we both preferred a minimalist approach. Sophie's have a logo and the brand, mine are blank. Which is all very lovely AND I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY THEM.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Those look way cool.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
is "handmade" another way of saying "no 2 pairs the same" or even more alarmingly (or fun maybe) "no 2 skis the same"....! Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
you could always stick them up on the wall of your gaff if you don't like skiing them, in a kind of faux retro way.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ooooooohhhhhh........ they are lovely.

Can't say I would be looking forward to the lift queues though! I think it may be worth buying a taser to go with them! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kaiser, yes, and some new ski locks.

bertie bassett, That's Plan Z.

barry, hmmm, maybe. Certainly no two skis will be absolutely identical as they're cut from different bits of wood. Only one way to find out...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just tested the FRC 177:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1472108

and FRC 188 "Pro Series"

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1472093
snow conditions
I visited Kevan Beane at his Rip'nWud Skis showroom in Ville La Grand, France to see some of his custom skis, which make up the bulk of his workload. Below are some photos. What I found particularly interesting was Kevan's depth of superb-quality custom work from "luxury" resort-type skis for infrequent skiers of posh resorts who want easy-carving frontside groomer skis to the hard-core, derby-type skis and everthing in between. Most ski builders don't have this breadth of design variation, and Kevan definitely knows the behavior of skis very well and knows how to mix materials and design to achieve the customer's goals. I was very impressed with the Rip'nWud skis and the consistent high-quality construction and finish of each pair in the showroom. If you are ever near Geneva, drop in and see Kevan's showroom and see the quality of the skis. You can even get a hand-built coffin-box with hand-made iron hinges for your custom skis if you get the urge! (and have €3,200)....Custom orders are accepted from March through June only and delivered at the end of September each year. You can also buy "off-the-rack" for between €720 - €890 plus bindings.

Pics below:

The showroom at the foot of the French Alps. Chamonix is a short ride up the Autoroute....

Custom Sochi Skis for the 2014 Olympic Officials

[img] http://www.exoticskis.com/ExoticSkis/Manufacturers/RipNWud/DSCN0460%20(Large).JPG[/img]

snow conditions
FRC 177 - I am stoked!
I am looking for a soft'ish, not-too-fat ski specifically for pow/off-piste . As a lighter weight fella I think 93 mm will be pefect. I am just beginnig to explore off-piste and I dont mach it down the fall line or huck cliffs...

Trouble is 90mm is an "all mountain" these days and many skis I looked at (hand flexed in stores etc) are a bit stiffer than I would like.

So what's the flex like on the FRC? Would you group them with softer skis? Is it an even flex throughout, or stiffer tip-softer tail/vice versa? Can you compare it with mass produced skis such as Prophet 100, K2 PE, Sultan 85, for example.

Apologies if I ask too many questions... without demo opportunities I am trying to find out as much as poss

Grateful for info/advice.
latest report
There's a demo centre in Les Gets.

Or you can borrow mine/her indoors' if you like.
snow report
under a new name, so how have the skis been?
ski holidays
So these are the skis to match my rowing boat?

(which looks much like this: http://www.carldouglas.co.uk/images/gallery/custom1x_ahead.jpg )
latest report
Ronald, tart! If the makers of the skis are as knowledgeable about skis as CD is about boats and if they have similar attention to detail they won't go far wrong.
snow conditions
Ronald, that is extraordinarily beautiful.
ski holidays
Carl is an extrordinary man.. He makes his boats from at least 50% pure passion&pride... He is one of very very few people i'd say i've had the honour to meet.
The attention for detail is fenomenal... My boat was actually build by Carl's son, but since I cannot find the smallest of flaws so he is just as good.

If the skis are anywhere near to that they must be extremely nice to see (and use I hope)
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, pretty good so far - a little long for the conditions we've used them in (tight trees and couloirs, mostly). Looking good for transformed crud and or cut up, over cooked mush.

Better on piste than I expected - and they're seriously fast.

All in all, very happy with them.

You also do get quite a lot of "what are they" comments!
latest report
Ronald - you think his boats are good, try his fin/rudders!
snow report
Eddd, I don't need no rudders on a single Wink

But i hear (and saw in boatrace) how effective they should be Wink
ski holidays
Just beautiful!
ski holidays
under a new name, it is very generous and kind of you, thanks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now y'see i was extoling the virtues of Arbor snowboards who also do alot of these natural material top-sheet designs - showed them to Best Beloved, who offered this pearl of wisdom "Hmm, they look a bit like laminate flooring, don't they..."

I railed against this, but got to admit that exoticskis pic's do conjour up some thoughts of the Screwfix Catalogue... (sorry David Murdoch, I do like your new skis though)
snow report
Turns'n'turns wrote:
FRC 177 - I am stoked!
I am looking for a soft'ish, not-too-fat ski specifically for pow/off-piste . As a lighter weight fella I think 93 mm will be pefect. I am just beginnig to explore off-piste and I dont mach it down the fall line or huck cliffs...

Trouble is 90mm is an "all mountain" these days and many skis I looked at (hand flexed in stores etc) are a bit stiffer than I would like.

So what's the flex like on the FRC? Would you group them with softer skis? Is it an even flex throughout, or stiffer tip-softer tail/vice versa? Can you compare it with mass produced skis such as Prophet 100, K2 PE, Sultan 85, for example.

Apologies if I ask too many questions... without demo opportunities I am trying to find out as much as poss

Grateful for info/advice.

I would call the FRC somewhat on the softer-side of many skis with similar dimensions, but it's torsional integrity means it grips the piste much better than most, without much effort at all. The "Pro Series" is significantly stiffer and takes more effort (but is only available in the 188cm version unless you want to pay Kevan to build a custom pair for lots of money). I would definitely try them if you are looking for the kind of ski you describe. You can Email Kevan off the website. He usually has demos at the shop and prides himself in fitting the right ski to the right person. His shop is conveniently located near the Chamonix and Megeve area, and you can see the skis in person. I would not recommend a stiff ski if you are just exploring off-piste. You will find them frustrating if you don't ski at mach-schnell straightlining scary runs or stomping big landings.....My wife (an intermediate skier with extensive nordic racing experience and on-piste only alpine experience) skied the 165 FRC in some fresh powder surfaces with bumps and varied terrain with kids and said she didn't even think about where she was going...the skis just carried here where she wanted to go without any fuss or bother...piste or powder, smooth or bumps....so I guess that's one vote...

The FRC is an even flex, very smooth, but responsive...even sporty if you want to punch it a little and get it to pop underfoot. I have not skied the Prophet, K2 PE or Sultan, so I can't help you there. I was very impressed with the FRC for the purposes you describe. It is definitely in the "easy, fun and capable" category rather than the "hard-charging, serious big mountain ski" category. The beefier Pro Series takes that position. Give Kevan Beane a call or email and see how you can hook up with his skis for a demo ride. He values feedback.
snow conditions
He also, although I haven't been there, has test skis in one of the Les Gets shops if anyone's there...
ski holidays
[quote="under a new name]You also do get quite a lot of "what are they" comments![/quote]
They're talking about the skier wink
ski holidays
Here is the shop:
http://www.esprit-de-glisse.com/ripnwood.html

They appear to also have Kessler skis.
If you have not tried the Kessler carving ski.
DEFINITELY see about a demo.
One of my favorites!
snow report
FlyingStantoni, or the orange pants? wink
snow conditions
exoticskis, thanks! If I find myself in Geneva area any time soon I'll try to visit Rip'nwood shop.
snow conditions
They look beautiful but none of the gear has a price in the catalogue - how much is any of it?
ski holidays
Gordyjh wrote:
They look beautiful but none of the gear has a price in the catalogue - how much is any of it?

If you have to ask.....
latest report
Quote:

If you have to ask.....

I had a nasty feeling that would be the case - like those jeweller's shops without price-tags in the window Laughing
latest report
Gordyjh, hmm. we paid a remarkably reasonable price - we did buy in Kevan's pre-season clearout sale though. Less than the €720 we paid for our race skis 3 years ago...
ski holidays
I asked Kevan, and he is sending a new pricing catalog to me in the Post.
He said he is changing his pricing model...so stay tuned...or send him an email !

Last year, his skis ranged between 750-1000 Euros (+-).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy