Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Just bought some ski boots from a second hand shop, they were cheap but in good condition, they fitted well too.

Got home and i see the bottom it says 28 - 28.5 i think this is a size 9.5 -10 in uk size?

Im usualy only a 7-8 uk, the inner sole of the boot says 6-7.5.

does this seem right? Are ski boots a set shell size and the inners to fit feet?

Or do you generally buy a bigger size than your shoe/trainer size.

The reason i ask is because my wife was gona hire hers, now she has the hump and i need to look for some for her!!!!! rolling eyes

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I buy smaller than my trainers. I'd almost put money on them being too big for you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
seaside, I agree with kiwi1, they sound too big. Everyone does this at least once, ie buy a size too big as they feel comfortable!

Well fitted boots should actually feel a little tight until you flex into the skiing position and that draws your toes back from the front. Can you take the liner out and put your foot in, slide the foot forward until the toes touch the shell and then let us know how much gap is behind your heel?

It's well worth paying a bit more for a decent boot fitted by a decent boot fitter!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This will only end in tears.......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
seaside, I agree with kiwi1, they sound too big. Everyone does this at least once, ie buy a size too big as they feel comfortable!

Well fitted boots should actually feel a little tight until you flex into the skiing position and that draws your toes back from the front. Can you take the liner out and put your foot in, slide the foot forward until the toes touch the shell and then let us know how much gap is behind your heel?

It's well worth paying a bit more for a decent boot fitted by a decent boot fitter!

Hi just took the inner out(not easy) with my toe to the front i have 2.5cm (25mm) from my heal to the back of the boot?

cheers
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
2.5 cm is about right, generally.
Will still cause a few palpitations, but where is the size written on the bottoms, what boots are they?
I know there are those out there who will disagree violently, but I think you can buy boots second-hand if (i) they fit, and (ii) they have not been used for more than four or five weeks; you may be lucky.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
believe me it does end in tears, i rushed into buying my first pair last year
Went for a pair that were on sale and the boot fitter hardly gave me an idea of how they should feel

2nd day of first trip away and my feet were in agony (did ease when the feet got cold enough to go numb )

from reading other posts i think 25mm is probably on the large side

What make of boots are they, as sizes can vary slightly
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
seaside, it does sound like they are going to be 'on the big side' to be honest, especially as the liner has probably already compressed down due to another person having worn them.

How much skiing have you done and how much has your wife?

here it says:

The first thing to do is see if the shell is the right size (the famous "shell test"), take the inner boot out and put your bare foot in with toes touching the end. You should just be able to squeeze two fingers behind your heel (about the width of the inner boot plus a single ski sock). With your foot centred in the boot three important measurements come into play, the width, the height and the space around the heel. At no time should any part of your foot touch the shell but the volume should not be too large, the heel should be held firm, if it moves you will have to over tighten the buckles which will be uncomfortable on the shin.

whereas this site says:

The gap between your heel and the back of the boot should be between three quarters of an inch (10mm) and an inch (20mm or about 2 finger tips).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I must have fat fingers.

P.S. One inch = 25.4 mm

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 1-10-09 17:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

three quarters of an inch (10mm) and an inch (20mm

It can't get much more inaccurate than that conversion! Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
seaside, the first purchase a skier makes, after the ridiculous hat, should be boots. Hire boots are only ever going to fit approximately; they will have had many different feet in them. I can understand your wife being cheesed off, but getting second hand boots may prove false economy, since they are already moulded to someone else's feet (also sounds like they may be too big). A boot should be snug, so that all intended movement is transferred to the ski, and not "lost in translation", as the foot moves about.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy