Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is there anywhere affordable this season?

Poster: A snowHead
Having skied (nearly) every year for 20 years, this years' prices just seem obscene.

There's generally about 30 of us who have previously taken over entire chalets or most of a hotel, but with our budgets tighter than ever and the £ completely screwed against the euro, this season is looking tough.

I'm new to this forum and I respect any rules removing blatant commercials, but if anyone can point me in the direction of catered or otherwise in Tignes, Val D'Isere, St Anton, meribel, Morzine or La Plagne that can offer ALL IN for about £700+ per head then please do.

We're all from Leeds/Bradford, willing to fly from Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool or Doncaster.

TIA
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you going on or off peak dates? Taking your own gear?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When are you planning to travel?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bramwing, plenty of deals around, you got kids coming, and are you therefore trying to do it inside school holidays?

Best ones I've found are:

Mark Warner: Free kids place in March http://www.markwarner.co.uk/pages/free-child-place-this-winter
Ski Power : VERY cheap last week of season pricing (Still in school hols for us) http://www.skipower.co.uk/
FamilyFriendly : deals in Jan inc free lift pass, free kiddie care etc, good prices for last week of season http://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com/price.html
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No Kids! Can avoid shool hols no problems. 1 or 2 have own gear but to be honest equipment changes so fast these days we mostly hire (except boots of course!)

Thanks for the tips so far - my and my best friend Rioja will examine them all this evening!!

Planning to travel 1st or 2nd week March

Chris
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We got St Anton Catered Chalet for £602 each including a free lift pass. FLights and transfers were £150 on top of that. I expect to spend £500+ on booze and lunches
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try Rocketski, Equity Ski, Skitopia.

You seem to be focussed on the big name French resorts, so you will pay a premium for these.

If you look further afield a consider the less well known but just as good (IMO) more French resorts or Italy then the price will come down, also low season deals or just after New Year can be cheaper. If there is a large group about driving a couple of cars across??

Also if you are less fussed about where you go leave until the last minute and you can usually pick up a decent deal.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The group I normally go with end of Jan have got a fully inclusive deal with ski bound for £700 going to Tignes. But to be honest I have been there before to the same hotel and it was pretty poor, so giving it a miss. I have got Mark Warner in Tignes single room the week after for £620 from Manchester add in your lift pass comes in at around £800. Dont think thats too bad for a room all to myself.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well as biased as usual I'm affraid being a Pyrenean snowhead but it is all about a third cheaper in the Pyrenees (lift passes, ski hire, accom) and still freindly down these parts (less irate English/Parissians/Dutch etc... to get worried about I suppose), with very nice food (again about a third cheaper): for example Eric the Berger up on the Tourmalet who won best piste retaurant in Europe in a Times survey last year charges 12€ for a shoulder of Lamb - light snack.... You can even buy half a lamb and ski down the slopes with it back to your own kitchen - "picked up a tasty bit of mutton on the slopes today ..."!

I would reccomend the largest and highest of the French Pyrenean resorts (yes, yes shameless...) Bareges/La Mongie the Tourmalet resort. It has higher top lifts than anywhere in the Portes de Soleil - Megeve, Les Gets etc.. ski area and over 115kms of runs, lots of snow making capacity and the Pic du Midi (mecca for off-piste - lift to 2875m and just a little disclaimer between you and vast amounts of off-piste potential). Oh and it has the highest thermal spa in France to drop into for some seriously relaxing apres-ski, 14€ for as long as you want in bubbling spa waters - not too steep Razz .

Erm just look out for the ski chalet in the middle of Bareges Village wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can't say I've noticed any difference with this season's prices and last season's. I've booked my trip already and it's actually £20 cheaper than last season's trip, this for a smaller but comparable quality hotel in a neighbouring resort.

If there's 30 of you, probably need to book sooner rather than later unless you don't mind going in different accommodation in the same resort?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bramwing wrote:
No Kids! Can avoid shool hols no problems. Planning to travel 1st or 2nd week March

Chris

Don't forget that French hols run up to 6 March.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bramwing,

Have sent you a PM - I know.... bit of a tout Toofy Grin
Week before HT - £740

East Mids or Manch Flight
Transfers
Hotel
Meals
Lift pass
Free ski school if req
Hire or carraige
etc
You may be able to google around and find a DIY trip for less though or maybe take a chance a leave it till last min.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Loads of great hotels doing super deals in Ski Amade. flights from Leeds with Jet2 and transfers for €40 return.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is about the cheapest I have found from a TO. You'll want to call up if there's 30 of you.
http://www.crystalski.co.uk/ski-packages/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes
snow conditions
oneword, I think I'm detecting a pattern here in your posts. Don't tell me though, I'm sure it'll come to me...
snow report
 Dave Spart
Dave Spart
I suspect things will be worse in 2011, after the election is out of the way.

UK economy will probably be suffering the full impact of the economic crash by then. Sterling will not be any stronger.

A gradual year on year drop in living standards over time is a likely scenario.
snow conditions
bramwing wrote:
Having skied (nearly) every year for 20 years, this years' prices just seem obscene.

There's generally about 30 of us who have previously taken over entire chalets or most of a hotel, but with our budgets tighter than ever and the £ completely screwed against the euro, this season is looking tough.

I'm new to this forum and I respect any rules removing blatant commercials, but if anyone can point me in the direction of catered or otherwise in Tignes, Val D'Isere, St Anton, meribel, Morzine or La Plagne that can offer ALL IN for about £700+ per head then please do.

We're all from Leeds/Bradford, willing to fly from Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool or Doncaster.

TIA

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/6231035/Skiing-holidays-cost-cutting-advice.html
snow conditions
bramwing, maybe consider ... err .... cheaper resorts outside of the French biggies (notes St Anton in there though)
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
We got St Anton Catered Chalet for £602 each including a free lift pass. FLights and transfers were £150 on top of that. I expect to spend £500+ on booze and lunches

Nothing is free in St Anton & definitely not the lift pass I can guarantee you that.
snow conditions
Wow. Overwhelmed by all the advice - you're a good lot!! Went to St Anton about 6 years ago and I think I'll be paying the last installment next week. Done the Pyrenees before and did like the 'Frenchness' of the little resorts, but didn't find the skiing all that challenging.

I will continue to trawl the advice but I think one of the PMs I've received could be a winner.

Thanks again!
ski holidays
bramwing, There's a few of us staying at this place http://www.arlberg.com/hotel.angelika/ at the foot of the slopes in St Anton 1st week March for €70 per night. Ok it's b&b but you can eat in Pomodoro or Funky Chicken for around €15 quite easilly for dinner. Oops just realised there will be 30 of you. IME St Anton is still cheaper than the French resorts mentioned, albeit that it is expensive by Austrian standards. Or you could try the Hotel Post in Stuben for a prty that size? http://www.hotelpost.com/wcms/bin/Server.dll?Article?ID=109&Session=1-dXUVK3Hf-1
You'll find a lot of the catered chalets around the Nasserein part of St Anton but never done catered in St Anton - either stayed in hotels or b&b's
snow conditions
Slovakia
snow report
I can offer you about £800.00 including flights, transfers, accommodation, lift passes, tuition, lunches, and unlimited booze including wine, cocktails, beers, spirits etc - that's unlimited all day. Food is also superb.
Work this backwards:

Lift pass circa £180.00
Lunches circa £150.00
Tuition circa £140.00
Booze circa £180.00
taxes and tips circa £30.00

..and what you have is paying about £120.00 for flights transfers accommodation and breakfasrt and evening meal! Bargain!

PM me for details!
latest report
Eeyore wrote:
I suspect things will be worse in 2011, after the election is out of the way.

UK economy will probably be suffering the full impact of the economic crash by then. Sterling will not be any stronger.

A gradual year on year drop in living standards over time is a likely scenario.

Eeyore, I wouldn't worry about our living standards in 2011. By the end of next year the falling Pound will also have set off the Zombie Plague, UK bound Iranian nukes and an Earth impacting asteroid.

I've got a feeling this winter'll be a blinder though (or maybe that's just the Triffid shooting stars Laughing ).
snow conditions
Morrisey - PM sent. Thanks!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy