Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Online Petition to Save Glencoe Ski Area

Poster: A snowHead
Glencoe ski area has been for sale since March 09. According to discussions on the forum at the link below its future is in grave doubt:
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,104239

An online 'SOS' (Save Our Skiing) petition has been launched at the next link - seemingly to be presented to the Scottish Government and snowsports bodies:
http://www.glencoemountain.com/v1/index.php?option=com_petitions&view=petition&id=40

I'm calling on snowHead to rally and do our bit. Even if you've never been to Glencoe, get signed up with a view to going at some future date- it's far too good a ski area to let it die - Scottish skiing with no Glencoe? Unthinkable Sad .
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
trying, does it give you any confirmation that you have registered? I just seem to go back to the opening screen after hitting sumbit
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski

Cheers! Mrs MA & I have both hopefully signed up - but you are right, it does just return to the opening screen. I'm assuming that it must have worked and am relying on that.

BTW, anyone else wondering what has happened to the timings shown on the forum postings? My orig post was at 21.56 but has gone back in time - as has kitenski's response.......
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountainaddict, The timing on my posts has always shown an hour earlier than I actually posted, I did see some explanation for it but can't remember what it was Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did the petition by the way snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One of the most breathtaking views of any ski area in the world. Seriously.

Not entirely clear what the Govt is being petitioned for - a grant/subsidy? Stop them exercising environmental policies which will be impossible to comply with?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Website is a shambles by the way - anyone happening on it would assume they'd shut up shop years ago - a welcome page not updated, a blog started and ended with a single non-entry.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Website is a shambles by the way

Agreed (apart from the photos on the homepage, which are stunning) - but that's also what some snowsports people say about the ski area too. No doubt some will be along to say they don't care about the future of the area. Entitled to their view but no right-minded skier/boarder would want to see it closed.
Quote:

One of the most breathtaking views of any ski area in the world.

Which one? There are two or three!

Also one of Europe's most unique and amazing ski areas in my view. For its size the skiing is fantastic.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've signed it because it's where I renewed my love of the sport and got my o/h into it. And it's only 90 mins up the road by car, which is a lot easier than schlepping across to Geneva of a Saturday morning. On the other hand, I'm not entirely convinced that, in the current climate, it's a good use of taxpayers' money to bail out a recreational facility. Especially one that, whether we like it or not, is seen by most people as a toffs' pastime.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have signed the petition.

^^ mountainaddict, totally agree an awesome wee place, superb skiing, views to die for, great snowholding (other Scottish ski areas would die for the amount of snow Glencoe accumulates) and IMHO some of the best terrain anywhere .. and I mean anywhere!

ct1, not sure skiing in Scotland could be described as a toffs pastime ... although I have sympathy with the sentiment when applied to some places in Europe lol!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
is seen by most people as a toffs' pastime.

If anyone thinks the origins of Glencoe was from toff's looking for a past-time, they couldn't be much more wrong!

http://creaghdhu.org/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
roga wrote:
Have signed the petition.

^^ mountainaddict, totally agree an awesome wee place, superb skiing, views to die for, great snowholding (other Scottish ski areas would die for the amount of snow Glencoe accumulates) and IMHO some of the best terrain anywhere .. and I mean anywhere!

ct1, not sure skiing in Scotland could be described as a toffs pastime ... although I have sympathy with the sentiment when applied to some places in Europe lol!

Completely agree it's not a toffs' pastime, especially in Scotland, but I'm not sure that you're going to be able to convince most people of that.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Haven't been to the area unfortunately - studied in Glasgow for 2 yrs but at the time I was into Hill Walking Smile
Signed the petition though as it should remain safe.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

whether we like it or not is seen by most people as a toffs' pastime.

Once skied at Glencoe with a couple who had just come back from a week in Colorado. After a week of champagne powder they found conditions less than ideal at the Coe. Despite being Scottish-ski lovers they said it felt like being part of a Warren Miller film showing Kashmir or similar.....Enough said!

Quote:

Not entirely clear what the Govt is being petitioned for - a grant/subsidy? Stop them exercising environmental policies which will be impossible to comply with?

If the option is for Glencoe lovers to do nothing, then that's not an option.

Quote:

I'm not entirely convinced that, in the current climate, it's a good use of taxpayers' money to bail out a recreational facility.

Why not? I think the issue is a bit wider than just the people using the slopes. A major factor is local jobs - overall, Scottish skiing must pump millions of pounds into local economies, especially after a bumper season like the last one. In good snow conditions we often do the 600 mile round trip for a one nighter on a weekend. Even that comes in at putting about £150 into local coffers - and that's only at the "Plateau Chateau" cafe at Glencoe, where regulars will know that prices for delicacies such as sausage roll and chips in very salubrious surroundings are almost beyond Courchevel levels Shocked!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hopefully the new owners or ski club wont try to be thieving gits and charge £1.50 for a can of juice up the hill and £1 at the bottom, love the coe hate the cafe.
latest report
haven't been to glencoe but after seeing the pics taken by scottishskier and posted byroga a while back, i will be making a trip over there this winter...it looks awesome....doing the petition thingy now.......

okbye
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
One of the most breathtaking views of any ski area in the world. Seriously.

The current owner is trying to flog the place. I believe the staff/ski clubs are looking for initial funding to take over the place and run it on a charitable basis.

The views are truely unique. Nothing like you would find in the alps. You would appreciate the terrain too. Glencoe is a mini la grave with big rocky gullies, cliff bands and true 40 degree slopes accessible off the lifts.
snow report
The coe is indeed awesome. Have a lot of fond memories, including when H proposed! Would be sorry if it were to close.

I have signed the petition. I can see the point ct1 made about taxpayers funding someone's sport, but isn't that what happens to some extent with leisure centres etc. In addition to that, I would imagine there are tourist attractions all over the UK that receive government money in some form or another, I don't see this as being all that different.

D
snow conditions
scottishskier, Having skied there in the dim & distant past I can confirm the La Grave like aspects of having to climb over significant rock bands (mid piste) & falling in a stream. I also have fond memories of renting the worst snowboard in the history of the world there - a piece of lumber with Flow bindings fabricated form solid lead.

Happy days
latest report
Signed. The way it goes back to the start doesn't inspire one with confidence that it has registered - but perhaps it is just part of the general shambles. You'd think if they were serious about it they would at least update the website.
snow report
My first ever taste of real snow was at Glencoe five years ago. I remember it was closed for half of the two days we spent there due to high winds. The place was freezing, none of that lovely French sunshine. Everybody seemed to have ski gear from the 70s ( must have been the locals.) Sad that it might close.
snow conditions
How much is it?
snow report
Hope Glencoe survives.

I skied there a while back and have fond memories of it.
ski holidays
Of course I have signed the petition, but I fear it may be doomed. The only way it will be saved is if we vote with our feet and to be honest I for one certainly wont be trading one of my weeks in the Alps for a week in Glencoe, sorry Sad
ski holidays
Quote:
You'd think if they were serious about it they would at least update the website.

There is no-one left to update the website. Sad

Now that there has been the first dusting of snow on the higher hills today, perhaps some heads will get knocked together and quite possibly that is the principle purpose of this petition, though it is by no-means clear who put it there.
latest report
I signed and got the boyf to as well. I hope it stays open cos it sounds great and I would like to ski in Scotland someday hopefully soon.
latest report
Quote:

Of course I have signed the petition, but I fear it may be doomed. The only way it will be saved is if we vote with our feet and to be honest I for one certainly wont be trading one of my weeks in the Alps for a week in Glencoe, sorry

It's only up the road, cant you fit it in as well as the precious alps... no nevermind, we wont miss you Laughing
latest report
I wouldn't trade a week in the alps for a week in Glencoe, but that's not really what it's aiming at I wouldn't have thought. There are many skiers in the northern half of the UK who can just chuck the skis in the back of the car on a Friday night and head up there for two days of skiing. Cheeky ski weekends whilst you are waiting for or mourning the end of the 'week in the alps' are fab. I guess more people don't because of the perceived cost and logistical challenge versus perceived benefit, but I for one love the extra few days on snow.

I am not sure if maybe Glencoe struggles more than the other scottish resorts because it doesn't have a very high profile. It's actually the nearest for English drivers heading up there, but most sweep right by and end up at Nevis or head the other side to Cairngorm. I for one prefer the skiing Glencoe to Nevis, but it just gets overlooked and I'm not sure why.

D
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Deliaskis, totally agree with everything you say - Scottish skiing isn't a substitute for an Alpine holiday IMHO (although this season I'm spending a lot of time there) but it's a great way of getting in those 'cheeky' extra days and weekends.

As for Glencoe, I think it's one of the best kept secrets of Scottish skiing - as you know I'm a great fan of what's on offer north of the border but even I never skied the place until a couple of years ago ... only to be bowled over by what a brilliant place it is! Problem is a best kept secret in a context as poorly marketed as Scottish skiing is leads to pretty shaky economics!

Personally I have a strong suspicion it might not open this season I'm afraid but I think it'll be back one way or the other.
ski holidays
Deliaskis wrote:
I am not sure if maybe Glencoe struggles more than the other scottish resorts because it doesn't have a very high profile. It's actually the nearest for English drivers heading up there, but most sweep right by and end up at Nevis or head the other side to Cairngorm. I for one prefer the skiing Glencoe to Nevis, but it just gets overlooked and I'm not sure why.

D

I prefer Glencoe to Nevis because it feels a bit more "rugged" to me. But I think that may be part of the problem. On a good day, the skiing's great and the view is unrivalled, but not even its most ardent supporters could claim that its infrastructure is entirely fit for purpose. Not just the uplift, which I suppose is part of its charm (Cliffhanger, anyone?). However, the appeal of the (in)famous cafe does tend to wane after a while. And parking can be troublesome on a popular day. But therein lies the problem. None of these things are going to be easy or cheap to sort out.
snow report
ct1, yes I think that's why I prefer Glencoe, although it's also probably the same reason why lots of people don't. I wouldn't say the quality of the cafes in any of the scottish resorts would affect my decision of where to go, although uplift might.

D
snow conditions
Deliaskis wrote:
ct1, yes I think that's why I prefer Glencoe, although it's also probably the same reason why lots of people don't. I wouldn't say the quality of the cafes in any of the scottish resorts would affect my decision of where to go, although uplift might.

D

Ha! Too true. Pie, beans and chips, sausage on a roll? Still, it makes me feel at home! None of your poncy tartiflette here. Scotland rules in the carbs stakes.
latest report
as a glasgow resident i am hoping to make some trips this winter

just started driving aswell and have been fantisising about taking some friends there
snow report
I've never skied there (climbed in Glencoe in my youth though) but would definitely like to do so one day.

However, I cannot support public money being directed to minority pastimes - and now is certainly not the time. Confused
snow report
well to be fair it will be scottish money if anything so you all down south are getting a good deal!
latest report
geeo wrote:
well to be fair it will be scottish money if anything so you all down south are getting a good deal!

This is a local resort for local people... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Winterhighland wrote:

There is no-one left to update the website. Sad

Surely there must be some enthusiast from the place willing the spend a small amount of time in their backroom doing it.

I'm afraid on my last two visits I was one of those who drove past. Although I like Glencoe it can't quite compete with the back bowl and all that off-piste at Nevis. I'm hoping I can do Easy Gully next time and hike along the ridge and ski down the back to Glen Nevis if there is enough snow and there is someone to do it with. Or anything else a knowledgeable local takes me to.

But if I'm up again next season I'll try to do a day.
snow report
Quote:

....well to be fair it will be scottish money if anything so you all down south are getting a good deal! This is a local resort for local people...

Well.....only a matter of time before the Anglo/Scots angle reared its head. How local is local to Glencoe? If Glasgow is regarded as local (2 hours away), I'll count myself (in north east England) as local to Glasgow (3 hrs away)!! Yes, I'm a Glencoe local!!

Anyway, us overnight visitors are arguably of more benefit to the local economy (paying for accommodation and sumptuous meals in the (ahem) mountain restaurants) - not like the locals with their thermos flasks and lunchboxes eh? wink And I'd best not mention how much "Scottish money" is underpinned by English taxation.... Toofy Grin

Quote:

I cannot support public money being directed to minority pastimes - and now is certainly not the time.

I still think that the wider local economy/tourism argument outweighs the above.
ski holidays
I'm kind of local, an hour away. I would find it really difficult to drive past the closed lifts of glencoe to ski Nevis.
snow report
mountainaddict
You have misquoted 2 different posts as 1, there is no anglo/scots angle, i just dont want to hear people moan about it being a waste of their cash when it wont be, sport scotland is funded by gamblers and the scottish gov, now if you want to argue about underpinning taxes or oil theft & whisky tax i'm sure someone on here will entertain you, i'm happy to have as many of 'you' up here as possible spending your hard earned on our overpriced juice and chips, means i can go midweek in peace and quiet Twisted Evil
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy