Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flights booked to Grenoble 10 April - Which Resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Flying into Grenoble 10 April for a week ---Which resort?
Our wish list is;

- Cheap and easy transfer preferably by public transport to resort. We know this is possible to Alpe D' Huez and Les Duex Alpes but are there are other options that would be good?

- Snow sure (if there is such a thing) for mid april

- Lots of variety for on piste intermediates. We were surpised to see poor ratings given to Les Duex Alpes on this in guide books - do you agree?

- Preferably not too ugly resort! Is it worth staying in any of the surrounding villages that are prettier or does it make getting on the slopes so much longer? We aren't after any nightlife but we won't have a car

Would also be grateful for which part of the chosen resort that would be closest to the best lifts for that time of year.
We shall rent an apartment off the internet.

Thanks very much for your advice -really appreciate you taking the time to answer.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pishposhpesh, Have a look at the grenoble airport site http://www.grenoble-airport.com/-Scheduled-coach-transfers-.html, should help with narrowing your choice, you can get to Val D, which should have good snow, never been myself. You could get to Aime and go to La Plagne, parts of it are attractive but a lot isn't but the skiing and nightlife aren't to bad, or Bourg and head up to Les Arcs none of which is pretty, except 1950, but you will get lots of variety, you could stay down in Bourg and commute up to Les Arcs every day, its a short hop.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pishposhpesh

radar's advice is great. I'd put the skiing ahead of the architecture and head to any of his/her suggestions, all of which will have good snow at that time. early April isn't very late at all for such high, snowsure areas.
Quote:

you could stay down in Bourg and commute up to Les Arcs every day, its a short hop.

In case you don't know, the "commute" from Bourg is by funicular - so a doddle depending on where you stay in Bourg.

Otherwise, it's got to be Espace Killy (ie Tignes/Val D'Isere) in my book. The whole area will be open at that time (300km of piste). It always has great snow cover until the lifts close in the first week of May. Don't rule out Tignes for easy lift access and skiing back to the resort until it closes in the first week of May. The Val Claret bit of the resort is as good as any - great piste access and a decent selection of bars and restaurants.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personally I'd look no further afield than Les Deux Alpes, in fact I'll be there until earlier that week. Heading for the Tarentaise is going to take longer and be more expensive. LDA has plenty of skiing for a week and conditions will still be good higher up. It's not pretty but there are lifts spread around the place, make sure you're situated near one. Vernosc is really the only possibly for staying in a lower village, there's a gondola connection. Alpe D'Huez is a great place too but with most runs being south facing it does suffer late in the season.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pishposhpesh, what Colin B said, essentially Toofy Grin Except I think LDA is... well, not 'pretty' exactly, but attractive. It's a real town, as opposed to a purpose-built, only-open-for-a-few-months resort.

pishposhpesh wrote:
Lots of variety for on piste intermediates. We were surprised to see poor ratings given to Les Deux Alpes on this in guide books - do you agree?

No - I think it's a good resort for real intermediates. However, it's not a 'flattering' resort - many of the blues are quite challenging. Having said that, it's a good place for beginners, with some nice greens, even up on the glacier (which could be important at that time of year). The main issue for intermediates is the fact that (apart from a 'green' road which is truly vile & best avoided, & will most likely be closed when you're there anyway) all the runs back down to the town are blacks, so you're probably going to have to download by lift. Not exactly the end of the world though, & more than made up for by the quality & variety of skiing higher up.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
At that time of year, L2A, if it is still open. Nuff said Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
LDA screams out as the obvious choice - for reasons well-described by Colin B - and I'd go along with Jo225 about the town being likeable and real.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LDA would be my choice too. Another possibility for staying out of resort might be Mont de lans which has a chair lift up to the ski area, though I don't know whether it would still be open 10th April - Lizzard or Easiski would know. I don't know what is there beyond a boulangerie, I think, and a mid week market so you may have to plan your shopping trips! Venosc is really sweet with a couple of nice restaurants, but a bit of a trek from the top of the gondola across to the lifts - there is probably a bus -and again not blessed by many options for larder stocking. I'd probably stick with LDA itself without a car, and aim for an apartment somewhere around the etoile lift (which goes up AND down thus avoiding the main gondola crush). Skiing wise, I've been there as both a VERY early intermediate and a slightly more capable one at that time of year and not struggled to find suitable terrain to ski.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy