Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ski advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All
New here and after a bit of advice please from the wise
I'm in the market for a new pair of skis, I live in the UK but really now only ski in Colorado (generally Streamboat and after skiing there why would you want to go back to Europe). I've been ski about 7 years (10 days a year so 70 days total), I'm OK on red, blues, blacks sometimes a bit skiddy on the really steep stuff when I'm tired but not bad the rest of the time, don't do bumps (20 years of Rugby on the knees put paid to that) or trees (again asking for trouble, rugby training taught you to go through things rather than round them but this doesn't seem to work with trees). I normally stick to the groomed stuff but where i struggle is if there is a large snow dump over night and when things get chopped up, at this stage I'm putting down the struggle to my current skis (Atomic Metron 7 circa 2007, which i bought as my first skis for the ice slopes of Europe) and not that the fact i'm a bit rubbish (which is a distinct possibility). I'm currently looking at Dynastar Sultan 80 178cm or Atomic Crimson (not Ti) 183 as a replacment, both of which i can get on a bit of a deal. I'm 6ft 4 and 110KG (or 17.5 stone), pretty fit and fairly stupid. I'm welcome peoples thoughts (about the skis not the stupidity)

Cheers
Martin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Martin/secondrow, I'm not convinced it's the ski's to be honest given your description. Most people I know that stick to piste the majority of the time struggle after a snow dump. Inevitably if are forced to ski something you don't want to or don't know, it's going to be that way.

I haven't skied either of those two but the reviews are good. You are neot an aggressive skier from your description so you don't need anything really stiff.

But it may be worth getting a lesson or two to break out of that piste only mentality.

Welcome to Snowheads.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get lessons, and/or get the Sultan 85's.

And what's wrong with Europe??!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Europe Cons
The lines
The queues
The rudeness
Scuffling with Italians
Unpleasant children
Unpleasant adults
Not guaranteed snow

Europe Pros
It’s closer

It may just be my age Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if age does that to someone, i don't want to get old
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The lines and queues >>> there is a lot of variability in that to be fair. Getting out of Les Menuires in 3V was a pain but getting out of Oz in ADH a dream.

The rudeness cuffling with Italians >>> I see this as part of the challenge Very Happy
Unpleasant children and Unpleasant adults >>> you're comparing this to Americans right Puzzled

Not guaranteed snow >>> nah, can't have that. I think I've only missed one complete day in 30+ trips and that was because of blizzards rather than lack of snow.

I have never skied in American though I've holidayed there and I really don't mind the people despite their defficiencies but I've never felt the need to ski there. Maybe when the kids are a bit older we might give it a go.

Good luck witht the new ski's.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree with the Europe vs US point of view - although I still ski in Europe every year I much prefer my time spent skiing in the US - Far more organised at lifts, much more relaxed waiting for your turn rather than fighting for your place in the q, on piste the runs are generally wider, better taken care of and far better markings.. Smile Will still always ski in Europe too though..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
secondrow wrote:
Europe Cons
The lines
The queues
The rudeness
Scuffling with Italians
Unpleasant children
Unpleasant adults
Not guaranteed snow

Europe Pros
It’s closer

VS America:

Cons - it's full of Americans!!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 wrote:
secondrow wrote:
Europe Cons
The lines
The queues
The rudeness
Scuffling with Italians
Unpleasant children
Unpleasant adults
Not guaranteed snow

Europe Pros
It’s closer

VS America:

Cons - it's full of Aussies!!!

Fixed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Definitely in agreement with secondrow..
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure what you mean about Italians! Whilst they do tend to try and push through they do it in a none aggresive way as opposed to the french, austrians and germans who would probably make a rugby player feel at home. After Italy my choice would always be USA although if Norway had more pistage that would take some beating.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy