Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

powder sports drink advice

Poster: A snowHead
i am looking for a sports drink i can mix up and use while in the gym. i have looked around online and can only really find carb based ones. can anyone reccomend a drink with minimal carbs, preferably in a powdered form.
thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
graeme, why? What are you trying to achieve with it?

Personally I just use water or cordial.....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fluid/mineral replacement. i get a bit bored with water
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
High 5 Zero tabs
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12572817url
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
how long are you spending in the gym? Unless you are doing sustained intense activity for over an hour then there's no real need for anything fancy, so I think you can drink what you like.

Sports drinks are all full of carbs - errr for energy - if it's not energy you're after then try something else - emm robinson's barley water??????

BTW if you do want energy I'd recommend High 5 4+1 at half strength if i am doing any endurance type activity - but that would be well over an hour - maybe up to 7. But it's a matter of taste and personal need.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
graeme, I'm a bit like you and get bored with plain water. Stumbled across this stuff at Asda a while back - Wahoo

http://www.wedrinkmorewater.com/

Comes in a powder sachet which you just add to 500ml of water. Normally costs £2 for 12 (I think) but Asda currently have them on offer for a quid
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Graeme

I use Nuun citrus tablets which can be brought from any good running store (upandrunning) Each tablet makes 500ml when dissolved in a bottle of water and has less the 3 calories per serving. 12 tabs per pack.

I use these a lot when out running or training on the rower and they are brilliant for rehydration on the slopes too.

Toofy Grin www.nuun.com
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
graeme,

Head for a Decathlon store if you got one near. They sell all sort of powder drinks (endurance, recovery, high intensity etc) in several flavour.
That's what I use when off to the mountain in my camelback...
Cheap as well (I think..)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You're looking for an electrolyte\hypotonic drink, NUUN are good, as are ZYM both without or minimal carbs, the High5 ones use more dodgy chemical sweetner.. or you could go ghetto and make your own
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm with eithnem, . I understand Mr Robinsons and his ilk make very reasonably priced low calorie squashes you can dilute. I REALLY think that a lot of these carb/electrolyte drinks are unecessary if you are only going to go to the gym for an hour or so. Plain water or diluted squash with a pinch of table salt would be fine IMO. It is of course your money.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
graeme, several litres of Erdinger Hefe-Weizen Alcoholfrei Bier is the best stuff I have ever drunk after a marathon. We were in the hills in north-east Bavaria and had 1000m of ascent on the course and temperatures of 35°C in the sun (a lot of the course was in the shade of a forest). Erdinger Brewery had just bought this alcohol-free wheat beer on to the market and were sponsoring the event. The organisers put it out at the refreshment stations and those of us who drank it had no problems with dehydration or muscles/joints. In the three hours after the event I think I downed about 6 or 7 litres of it to replace all the fluids I'd lost. Best isotonic drink I've ever come across, the next day I was fit enough to do a half marathon so I was well pleased.

Unusually for an alcohol free beer it has no chemical after-taste to it at all! But as it is locally produced, I guess I have an advantage over you guys NehNeh

Worth looking for British equivalents or not maybe?

wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I usually just stick to water while training, and use a combination of Nuun, and SIS gels & drinks when racing. Every so often I'll train with them too to make sure I'll have no adverse effects during a race. I've tried Hi5 stuff and ended up with stomach problems.

I use SIS because it's really easy to get hold of, most running and cycling shops sell it, as do larger Tesco. I don;t have any adverse effects and it's all reasonably pallatable.

I had a free trial of some Zipvit stuff which seemed to work very well - like rocket fuel. But the gel was just way too thick, and the drink flavours were a bit wishy washy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks for all the advice folks, i just ordered a few nuun tubes.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
graeme, Have you heard about the ORBANA healthy energy drink?

Take a look at www.orbana.com This drink provides sustained energy without any artificial colours, sweetners or stimulants.
It's in powder form but you wouldn't have to take it with you as it's slow release.....Check it out! Smile
snow report
I also use nuun for hangovers, like this morning.
ski holidays
papasmurf wrote:
I also use nuun for hangovers, like this morning.

I haven't used them for that purpose yet, but it makes sense. Sadly I don't get out often enough to get a hangover very often any more Little Angel
snow conditions
Pocari Sweat.

Crazy name. Good drink. (Don't think you can get the powdered version in the UK, though). It does contain sugar, though.

http://www.pocarisweat.com.ph/about.aspx

Samerberg Sue,

I remember many years ago (1978) reading an article in an American running magazine extolling the benefits of beer as a replacement fluid, due to its high potassium content. Of course, American beer has hardly any alcohol in it, anyway (although I guess the bubbles might cause a problem for a marathon runner).
ski holidays
thanks for all the recomendations/advice. i have been using the nuun for a few days now and am very impressed. i have the lemon/lime, triberry and kona cola, all taste very nice
snow report
Acacia, you can get powdered Pocari Sweat in the UK (so no need to rear your own Pocari and scrape them down after exercise...), but possibly only in London. Japan Centre on Picadilly sells it Smile
ski holidays
Would suggest Nrichment. It's not powdered but in a can, so no messing around mixing. Has procarb formula = balance of protein and carbs + low fat.
Depends what you want out of a drink.
Low fat milk is generally better than water/isotonic drinks 'cos it replaces the lost nutrients and vitamins. Milk shakes vary, many have too much sugar unncessarily and others taste plain awful....try it and decide. Alternatively maximuscle, but I find this too bodybuilderish. Skullie
snow report
Powdermania, welcome to snowHeads. snowHead
It's unusual for a new poster (at least I think it is) to revive old threads, as you are doing. How do you select the threads to revive?
snow report
Appreciate the info, it’s good to know.

ICC World Cup 2011

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 14-01-11 5:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
have a look at these guys, they offer all sorts and supplysome national teams http://www.teamnutrition.co.uk/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy