Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley Polarized lenses

Are polarized lenses worth it?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Voted : 10
Total Votes : 2

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys & Gals,

Am thinking about buying some new sunglasses this weekend to take skiing with me later in the month.
There are some Oakleys that I like, but what are your thoughts on polarized lenses?? Are they worth paying the extra £40??

Also, whats the best lens colour to get for sunny days on the slopes, I hear that coloured lenses can increase contrast, or does it not really matter just as long as they have a low transition.

one more question.. wink
Will it be cheaper to buy them in resort (Andorra)??

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
huh? I voted and it says 1 vote cast..... but zero votes to either options...... quite odd.....

Definitely worth getting polarised lens in sunglasses, its a scientific fact that it will reduce the transmission through them as compared to non polarised

ad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
buns, all polls are stuffed at present. Admin knows about it.
freebie, re polarised sunnies - I've often used polarised Raybans for skiing without trouble but there are some who say that they can make icy patches harder to spot by (partly) eliminating reflected glare. For bright sunny days you want to cut down on light transmission - probably with dark grey lenses. Contrast is not an issue when it's bright - you're only trying to protect your eyes from snowblindness. Colour of lens is more important in low or flat light conditions. Can't help on pricing but previous threads on Oakley stuff have indicated the dealers in UK keep the prices sky high. Have a good holiday.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All down to personal preference really. I like my polarized Revos they work well but make more of a difference in summer - i.e. on the beach, sailing, etc. Lens colour definitely a personaly thing - I like brown or other warm shades/friends like grey or Rayban green. One point is that a deep yellow like Vuarnet Skilynx can help in flat light if you've forgotten goggles (although they are very dark!)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kuwait_ian, interesting point about polarisation and ice patches. In theory I think I can see (!) what you mean.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
freebie, Coloured lenses increase contrast in flat light conditions and when it's snowing. Normally in these conditions I wear Oakley Wisdoms with yellow lenses to 1) prevent falling snow from reaching my eyes 2) prevent my inevitable falls from forcing snow into my eyes! I wouldn't ever wear these when it's sunny, as they offer very little protection from bright sunlight.

When it's sunny, unless you're in the park or ripping it up off piste, you only really need to wear sunnies. I don't think that contrast will be a problem when the sun comes out, as there are strong shadows everywhere. I would get polarised lenses everytime. The sun has a far more damaging effect at altitude than at sea level, so the more protection you can offer to your eyes the better.

As far as oakleys are concerned, I've used Bloc and Bolle eyewear prior to Oakley and I have to say that they don't come close to the optical quality of Oakleys.

If you can afford them, I would advise you to get oakleys. I believe the Iridium range is the marketing spiel for polarised lenses in Oakleyland, so go for those. You only have one pair of eyes - unless you come from Wigan (inbreeding does strange things).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
freebie, Coloured lenses increase contrast in flat light conditions and when it's snowing. Normally in these conditions I wear Oakley Wisdoms with yellow lenses to 1) prevent falling snow from reaching my eyes 2) prevent my inevitable falls from forcing snow into my eyes! I wouldn't ever wear these when it's sunny, as they offer very little protection from bright sunlight.

When it's sunny, unless you're in the park or ripping it up off piste, you only really need to wear sunnies. I don't think that contrast will be a problem when the sun comes out, as there are strong shadows everywhere. I would get polarised lenses everytime. The sun has a far more damaging effect at altitude than at sea level, so the more protection you can offer to your eyes the better.

As far as oakleys are concerned, I've used Bloc and Bolle eyewear prior to Oakley and I have to say that they don't come close to the optical quality of Oakleys.

If you can afford them, I would advise you to get oakleys. I believe the Iridium range is the marketing spiel for polarised lenses in Oakleyland, so go for those. You only have one pair of eyes - unless you come from Wigan (inbreeding does strange things).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting topic - I have Oakley Straight Jackets with grey polarized lenses that I use for Fly Fishing. I use some pretty cheap Bloc glasses for skiing and have never though of trying the Oakleys. I will have to give it a go next week and see ( no pun intended ) if there is much difference.

CP

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 24-02-05 16:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers Peeps,

The consensus seems to be to get the polar lenses.
Time to get the credit card out Shocked

gonna wait till I get to andorra to save me a bit of tax.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
freebie, if you live near Hatfield, there's a shop upstairs in the Galleria that sells Oakley stuff at "cheap" (it's all relative) prices. Worth a look, though possibly not as cheap as Andorra.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In bristol Mad

They got a web address / mail order?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
freebie, hmmm, looking at the Galleria website it may not be there any more (I haven't been for a few months). However, they are owned by the same people who run the Outdoor Trading Post on the lower level (0800 413 650). Might be worth a call, but their cheapest Oakley stuff was upstairs (they may have moved the stock downstairs, I don't know). Let us know how you get on.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just spoken (emailed) a really helpful girl from the shop in Hatfield

Her's what she said...

"HI

Yes we do offer the cheapest Oakley eyewear and goggles in the UK as
we are able to buy Oakley's discontinued styles or colourways (frame
and lens mix) at a cheaper price therefore charging you, the customer,
less. Savings are between 25-50% depending on the style. All stock first
quality.

Also just to clarify we have two separate stores in the Galleria Outlet
Centre - one for the discontinued Oakley stock and the other for a
comprehensive range of current styles - the largest in the UK infact. We
know the range inside and out both technically and from a fashion
perspective.

Playing devil's advocate here but why polarised for ski slopes
as you do limit you colour choice?

Give me a bell and I can fine tune and clarify the true differences between polarised and
non-polarised lenses."
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd say it depends what else you want to use the glasses for. I've skiied in both polarised and non-polarised Oakleys and I'm not sure there was a terrific difference between them. On or near water on the other hand, polarised lenses make a huge (positive) difference.

I've had red irridium zeros, black polarised eye jackets and blue irridium mag switches - I tend to ski in the eye jackets as the switches are a bit cold on the ears and the zeros died a little while back. All three lens colours have been excellent in the snow.

Freebie, are you flying to andorra? I know both Gatwick terminals have decent sized Sunglass Hut concessions (I'm sure Heathrow is the same) and you might get a decent price there.

on a side point, Oakley UK have the best customer service I've experienced anywhere. On the three occasions I've had to deal with them (not all my glasses!) they've been helpful beyond belief.

Now just got to avoid splashing out on a pair of Wisdoms... (my Scotts are fine I keep telling myself...)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
starnberg, Agree. Polarised lenses are most beneficial when reducing the glare from water. My thoughts on ski lenses are: Low flat light Hi int blue ( increased contrast )
Mixed conditions G30 ( increased contrast ) Bright conditions Blk / Ice ( neutral ) Fundamentally you pays your money & takes your choice and no two peoples eyes react in exactly the same way. For skiing I use Wisdoms or Half Jackets although changing lenses in them is a too fiddly for on the slopes.
ski holidays
Quote:

Now just got to avoid splashing out on a pair of Wisdoms... (my Scotts are fine I keep telling myself...)

Yeah I want some HI Blue ones. But im gonna wait till a crappy day in resort to buy them.

Quote:

are you flying to andorra?

I am but from bristol.
ski holidays
freebie Night camo frames with persimmon lenses are my current favourites and seem to go for about 65 quid on ebay. Plenty of positive feedback on the sellers too, so it reassures some of my concerns about them being genuine... Might be worth a look there if you're after glasses?

Anyone bought Oakleys from ebay? I know there are likely to be plenty of fakes out there, but the UK sellers I've looked at seem reasonable, if not stunningly cheap.
ski holidays
And there are some white camo goggles here for £67,

http://www.site91.com/?tpage=srch&spage=dets&id=509
ski holidays
CP wrote:
Interesting topic - I have Oakley Straight Jackets with grey polarized lenses that I use for Fly Fishing. I use some pretty cheap Bloc glasses for skiing and have never though of trying the Oakleys. I will have to give it a go next week and see ( no pun intended ) if there is much difference.

CP

Tried to wear the Oakleys last week in La Ros but the arm shape made them impossible to fit comfortably under my ski helmet.

CP
ski holidays
starnberg, Spookily I sit here with a pair of Night Camo, Hi Intensity Blue lens, Wisdoms bought on Ebay. Delivered this morning by the posty.

All look genuine, but how can you tell if they're not?
ski holidays
Marc,

This is a quote from Oakley.com

Quote:
How can I tell if my Oakley's are real or not?
Determining if they are real or counterfeit is very, very difficult to accomplish over the phone. Send them to Oakley for our certified technicians to evaluate the glasses.

Everybody says that oakley have a great customer service department. I suppose the only way to be sure is to send them in. Or maybe take them into a oakley authorised dealer.
latest report
marc gledhill wrote:
starnberg, Spookily I sit here with a pair of Night Camo, Hi Intensity Blue lens, Wisdoms bought on Ebay. Delivered this morning by the posty.

All look genuine, but how can you tell if they're not?

I'd have thought the quality of the mouldings and general fit of the components would be obvious in anything other than a really high quality copy, not to mention the quality of the lens. I guess there's enough margin on these things for some people to have invested in reasonable tooling and production facilities if it's no longer obvious.

One way might be to go to a store and ask to try on a pair that has to come out of a box - you can grab a sneaky look at the documentation etc and see how it compares with what you received.

At the end of the day though, if you're happy with what you got for your money (assuming they perform well) then does it really matter?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy