Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BANSKO

Poster: A snowHead
BCjohnny, I fully understand where you're coming from but, I maintain that a nicer skiing holiday can be bought in central Europe for similar money. Bansko is not good value.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mollerski, agreed you can get close maybe but you can not necessarily get an equivalent priced holiday with pass/food/transfer/tuition/hire etc, but I too have my own board and would not want tuition so I feel I could just about get a deal (close to a Bankso prices without board hire an tuition) in such places as L2A for example, and have a better time. Actually good value for money would be somehere like (a B&B) in Stubai valley with flights to Innsbruck. I would like to check out Bankso for my self some day but I am a bit like you and there are other options, so maybe I should go on one of those property developer subsidised trips Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rayscoops wrote:
Mollerski,...... so maybe I should go on one of those property developer subsidised trips Very Happy

Yeah, do it. Very Happy

Decent board hire a lessons in Bansko are right up there with central European prices. Method Ski School in Bansko charge £40 an hour. Forget Ulen, you could easily be a better skier/boarder than your instructor. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any-one agree with this.

NOW might not be a bad time to buy in Bansko, not for investment, not to rent out, but because you can probably get a 2 bed appt for around €40k. Your all little bolt hole in the mountains where you can leave your gear and just go for long weekends whenever it suits. At €40k its probably worth a punt.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kel, €40K would pay for all the ski trips I am likely to take for the rest of my life (being aged 50 now).

If you have that much spare enough to be "worth a punt" to pay for a "little bolt hole in the mountains", then I think you are probably rather better off than most of us. Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
alex_heney wrote:
Kel, €40K would pay for all the ski trips I am likely to take for the rest of my life (being aged 50 now).

If you have that much spare enough to be "worth a punt" to pay for a "little bolt hole in the mountains", then I think you are probably rather better off than most of us. Happy

Yes I get your point, but I have kids, who have girlfriends and who knows in a few years time they might have kids and it would be nice to have a place that they also could go to.

BTW its not like I have 40k stuffed under the mattress, but I could quite easily get my hands on it and if I were to offset it against what I pay for skiing trips every year it could work out. Not say I am going to do it, in fact read my earlier posts. What I am saying is NOW might not be a bad time to buy, but it would have to be in the right location because I reckon 80% of the appts will hardly ever get used.

It will be interesting to see how it un-ravels, in 5-10 years time you might be thinking wish I had stuck 40k into Bansko or you might be thinking wish I hadn't stuck 40k into Bansko. Lifes a gamble !!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Bansko looks OK
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, we stayed at the Perun 2 seasons ago, it's 4 star, lovely rooms, food at dinner not brilliant but we ate out in the town 4 nights out of 7, great friendly bar with comfy sofas, games room with pool tables etc for your son, fantastic warm outdoor pool, sauna, outdoor jacuzzi. It had everything we wanted, we had our (then) 3 yr old daughter with us so we didn't get a lot of skiing done but the skiing looked decent, we weren't in ski school so didn't need to be at the lifts for crack of sparrow and we sailed through every day, never saw a queue. There are a few people on here who knock Bansko but it is nowhere near as bad as these are making it out to be for the general holidaymaker, it may be terrible for investors but that didn't affect our holiday.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For fear of sounding terribly patronizing, most that say they had a good time in Bansko are new/newish to skiing and have little to compare with. When they've sampled other resorts they tend not to return. Let's face it, a snowdome is the best place in the World until you hit a real mountain. wink
As mentioned, Bansko is OK at best and awful at worst. Massive queues, really bad rip-off food on the mountain, miserable staff at apres time, stray dog ridden building sites. Oh yeah, the smoking. It's compulsory! Confused
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mollerski, hmmmm. Yes that is a patronizing comment.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kiwi1 wrote:

Unfortunately, that can be a danger with the truth. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kiwi1 wrote:

Don't think Mollerski's comment is patronizing at all. It's his opinion of the place and, judging by the comments on this thread and others on Bansko, it seems a pretty accurate assessment.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been to more resorts around the world than many and don't rate Bansko amungst the worst but like Mollerski, that is just my view.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mollerski. At the risk of defending the indefensible, I'm intrigued.

You sound like a sensible chap, so how did it take you eight whole weeks to work out Bansko was such a $hithole?

I'm presuming your in-laws apartment figures somewhere in the equation? An apartment that, for the price (and regardless what it's worth now), they'd have struggled to buy elsewhere in Europe? Without which I'm guessing you wouldn't have spent eight weeks there?

That's the whole point of the place, for most. Affordability.

John.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
victoriac

Thanks for that. I'll bear Vitosha in mind for a possible 2 centre trip. Should we hire a car? We usually do for most of our jaunts but I was thinking of exploring transfer options as I'm guessing that prices might be reasonable.
ski holidays
BCjohnny, I won't go into why the they bought in Bansko, suffice to say, it wasn't one of their better moves. For similar money a property could've been bought in the Aosta Valley or in a smaller village in the 3vs.
I gave it 8 weeks to give the place a fair chance, 2 week christmas stays etc.
I have no personal vendetta against Bansko, I just consider it poor value. It's a bottom end holiday for more than bottom end money. I absolutely maintain that a better holiday can be bought for less money in central Europe.

The problems in Bansko are complex, they'll takes years to resolve. Corruption, gangsterism, rampant over-development are some. The Shell-shocked locals are not happy with what's happened to their 'village'. 'Gold-rush' outsiders have taken over to make a fast buck. Most European resorts have evolved over many years and have, by and large, now got it right. Bansko happened pretty much overnight with massive EU investmant, it will be many more years before it evolves into a resort that is 'right'.

Bulgaria has huge problems with mafia driven corruption. The EU have threatened to withdraw any further funding until such issues are addressed at the highest level.
ski holidays
Mollerski,
Please tell me where I can buy a 2 bed appt in one of the smaller 3V villages for 70k.
snow report
Les Menuires, a friend bought a 2 bed there for £63k last year.
snow conditions
You migjt get a small apartment in L2A for that sort of money too
ski holidays
BCjohnny wrote:
And, the reason I always seem to end up defending Bansko is not because I love the place. Far from it, I see it for what it is. It's just a shame others condemn it for something it isn't.

Well said, I like this. I have been to quite a number of different ski areas from top end to very basic(Temple Basin for example), and the truth is I have yet to find an area I don't like. As John says 'see it for what it is'.
latest report
I did not like Livigno! I think I have said that before wink
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
Les Menuires, a friend bought a 2 bed there for £63k last year.

Then I was looking in the wrong real estate agents when I was in Les Menuires in Jan. Just a quick google search, brings these up

2 bed
http://www.vuefinders.com/ra/viewlisting.php?id=873

Studio
http://www.frenchpropertylinks.com/buying.asp?ville=LesMenuires73
snow report
Kel, What a property is advertised for and what it can be bought for differ greatly, especially in the current climate. But, you know that. wink
latest report
Mollerski wrote:
Kel, What a property is advertised for and what it can be bought for differ greatly, especially in the current climate. But, you know that. wink

If anyone has a 2 bed property for sale in Les Menuires for £63k, save on your agent's fees, I will have it.
snow report
Mollerski, at the risk of dragging the thread out................

Thanks for your considered reply, the salient points of which I'm well aware of as I always make an effort to "understand" any place I go to.

But you singularly fail to answer the question I asked:

How did it take eight weeks to work you didn't like the place?

I can normally work this out in a couple of days, certainly within a week. I'm assuming it's because you availed yourself of subsidised (if not free) accommodation? I'm assuming that the accommodation was purchased, by your inlaws, at least partly because it was cheaper than mainstream (Alpine) alternatives? Do you see where I'm going with this?

As regards buying in Bansko, I would guess now is as good a time to buy as any, but you've got to go in with your eyes (and wallet) open. I would never consider buying there, personally, no way. Too much of a gamble, and like any wager, if you can't afford to lose it, don't post the ante.

sideslip 1 wink. Everywhere is better than the alternative, if it's the only place you can stretch to. Even La Thuile.

John.
latest report
Never been there, never will, don't care. But I do find it nostalgic when a bunch of people with post numbers of 0-50 come on here and say how great Bankso is. This used to happen about twice a year - and they would say what great value Bankso was - how fantastic it was - how the hour long gondola queues were avoidable - what a great investment they had made, and give a link to a Bankso specific forum (which seems now to have been replaced by a page of interior decorating ads). Sometimes it almost looked as though a few of them had popped across in a coordinated attempt to increase awareness of Bankso... wink

Happy days snowHead
ski holidays
BCjohnny,

If you had access to a family owned ski apartment in an unknown resort, how exactly would you have dealt with it? rolling eyes

If I were the tightarse, that I feel that you're trying to imply, I'd carry on taking my family of 6 on sub-standard skiing holidays, instead we return to the far superior, if more expensive, Dolomites. wink
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
If I were the tightarse, that I feel that you're trying to imply, I'd carry on taking my family of 6 on sub-standard skiing holidays, instead we return to the far superior, if more expensive, Dolomites. wink

Not implying you're a "tightarse" at all, quite the contrary.

I'm drawing a parallel between other peoples reasons for going, and yours. So you went for cost reasons, then, like most people do. No shame in that. It's a cut price resort. See it for what it is.

What I do find a bit rich is that having chosen to spend eight weeks there, you're telling others how cr@p it is, and not to bother. Confused .

Just hope you don't need to use your relatives place again, as you've obviously made your opinions clear to him/her/them also?

Anyway you're welcome to your views, I'm not in the conversion business.

John.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="BCjohnny"]
Mollerski wrote:

What I do find a bit rich is that having chosen to spend eight weeks there, you're telling others how cr@p it is, and not to bother. Confused .

Or, conversely, perhaps i was prepared to give the place a fair chance before making my final decision.
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
Or, conversely, perhaps i was prepared to give the place a fair chance before making my final decision.

Eight whole weeks? In one stretch, without leaving and coming back? If it's as godawful as you reckon? Shocked .

C'mon. Confused .

I know the place has a bit of a repututaion, but were you being held against your will?

Anyway, you've made your views clear, and I mine, so perhaps it's best left now. Agree to disagree, and all that............... NehNeh .

John
snow conditions
BCjohnny wrote:
Mollerski wrote:

Eight whole weeks? In one stretch, without leaving and coming back? If it's as godawful as you reckon? Shocked .

Did I not say ''2 week Christmas stays etc''? rolling eyes Did that not give you enough of a clue as to the pattern of our visits? When you've visited Bansko we can continue this discussion, for now, your rather banal questioning is becoming a little tiresome. wink
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
When you've visited Bansko we can continue this discussion.

Been. Three times, mate. Did I not give you enough of a clue?

Quote:
For now, your rather banal questioning is becoming a little tiresome. wink

As the less than complete answers given?

I've tried to leave this thread. Twice. Letting bygones be. rolling eyes .

But you just don't seem to want me to................

Regardless. I'm outta here. Got no time for public handbags.

Agree to disagree, and all that............... wink .

John.
snow report
BCjohnny wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
When you've visited Bansko we can continue this discussion.

Been. Three times, mate. .

I got free accomm, what's your excuse?!! Shocked

Actually, plse don't answer that mate, as I'm not interested. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Can`t really be ar**d reading the previous but I went to Bansko this year and despite all the negative things mentioned already I had a great time.Not much else to compare against it though so maybe not as good as others but by no means intolerable and the natives despite my reservations I found to be friendly on the whole.
The reason I went there was to ski and that`s what I did.

HTH

P.S. I am going again this season also.
snow report
Quote:

For fear of sounding terribly patronizing, most that say they had a good time in Bansko are new/newish to skiing and have little to compare with. When they've sampled other resorts they tend not to return. Let's face it, a snowdome is the best place in the World until you hit a real mountain.
As mentioned, Bansko is OK at best and awful at worst. Massive queues, really bad rip-off food on the mountain, miserable staff at apres time, stray dog ridden building sites. Oh yeah, the smoking. It's compulsory

Yes that was a patronising comment, I have been skiing 18 yrs (sometimes multiple trips per year) before going to Bansko, so I do have a few different countries, resorts and experiences to compare with rolling eyes We are all entitled to our opinions on a place that we have visited and I don't make personal attacks or assumptions about anyone else posting on here, yes I may have "less than 50 posts" to my name but I didn't realise that you had to have 50 posts to brag about before you're allowed to make a contribution to a thread.
Come on people get a grip Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Babs 2004 wrote:
Quote:

For fear of sounding terribly patronizing, most that say they had a good time in Bansko are new/newish to skiing and have little to compare with. When they've sampled other resorts they tend not to return. Let's face it, a snowdome is the best place in the World until you hit a real mountain.
As mentioned, Bansko is OK at best and awful at worst. Massive queues, really bad rip-off food on the mountain, miserable staff at apres time, stray dog ridden building sites. Oh yeah, the smoking. It's compulsory

Yes that was a patronising comment, I have been skiing 18 yrs (sometimes multiple trips per year) before going to Bansko, so I do have a few different countries, resorts and experiences to compare with rolling eyes We are all entitled to our opinions on a place that we have visited and I don't make personal attacks or assumptions about anyone else posting on here, yes I may have "less than 50 posts" to my name but I didn't realise that you had to have 50 posts to brag about before you're allowed to make a contribution to a thread.
Come on people get a grip Toofy Grin

Where's the clappy smiley thing?

Good on yer gal.

So you've discovered the pompous snobbery of snowHead's. NehNeh . Stick around wink .

John.
snow conditions
Yeah,stoatsbrother, the 0-50 post comment was a shocker! Razz

Well said Babs. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Mollerski, indeed... Toofy Grin - but that was actually talking about the old days when clusters of them seemed to come across from Bankso forums to defend their property purchases...

You don't see much of that now. wink

Babs 2004, have a look at some of the old Bankso threads if you really want a laugh. Then read my post again and you will see what I meant. No slight on the posters on this thread. I have no view about Bankso other than it is not the next Val D'Isere as a journalist once claimed.
latest report
BCjohnny wrote:
.....where's the clappy smiley thing? ....

Here you go
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy