Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vallee Blanche from Courmayeur?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Seen a *very* good deal to Courmayeur in January (£205 h/b, 12th Jan). I'm aware that it's possible to go up the Aiguille du Midi from the courmayeur side and thus even bypass the infamous ridge, but....

1) most recommendations I've seen are to wait until march for the better snow. Is it even worth considering in January?
2) most people ski to and from Chamonix, if I do the classic route down to CHamonix how much is a taxi back to Courmayeur likely to cost?
3) is there any off piste back down the courmayeur side?
4) can anyone recommend any guides / schools for the above and also to do some of the routes down from Cresta d'Arp?

I've done a long weekend in Courmayeur as an intermediate, and I'm aware that now I have a little more experience under my belt it's not exactly the largest and most challenging resort in terms of piste mileage, y'see...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1) I did the VB from Courmayeur in mid-April. We got as far as the cog-railway before the snow ran out. I suppose it all depends on the amount of early-season snowfall as to whether January would be good. In April it was icy/crusty up top as you might expect.

2) Your guide should sort out the bus ride back through the tunnel as part of the deal.

3) Yes but it is reputedly very hard, far more advanced than the standard VB.

4) The official guides office in the middle of town. We got a short hairy bloke called Valerio, whose english was patchy but was a good laugh, and brought the beers along for lunch. We sank a couple in Cham while waiting for the bus too. He was very professional and a top bloke. Said he started learning english to pull english girls, but gave up when the single english girls stopped coming to Courmayeur.....!

So if you're a single, and female, be careful..... Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its not often open in Jan
You cant get to the midi in winter on the lift
You can ski from the torino hut back to courmayeur but half way down is more normal and still hard, you cant ski back to courmayeur and do the VB
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Italian side of Mont Blanc consists of three cable cars in sucession known as the Helbronner lifts. If there is enough snow you can ski all the way down which is a huge descent. The last time I skied it there was not enough snow on the bottom section (from the Torino hut - good restaurant). The top section it is usual to ski a short way along from the top station and walk down an iron staircase to avoid the steepest part. However it is possible for expert skiers with a guide to ski down directly below the cable car. All of this is off-piste and because it is south facing the snow quickly becomes heavy and/or crusty.
There is a tiny cable lift between the Aiguille du Midi and the top of the Helbronner, but it is only for summer tourists, not open in Winter. The only way to get back to the Italian side from the Aiguille du midi after doing the VB would be to ski a short way and then, where the trial turns left down the valley. turn right and hike up using skins.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They will open the VB if there has been enough snow to fill in the crevasses. If you just want to do the VB path for the scenery then I don't think it matters much where you go from. Going from Helbronner will save on one taxi, I guess.

IMV, unless the ridge puts you off, then I'd go from the Chamonix side as you do have one or two variations...more if you party is upto it...

The ski down the Italian side can be steep and the lifts are slow. More importantly, the snow gets more exposure and can get 'difficult'
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BUMP!!

nbt, Did you go? Did you do it?

I've just booked to go to Courmayeur for a long weekend in March 2011 and there should be at least three, probably more, of the group up for a trip down the Vallee so was looking for some pointers myself.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc, went to courmayeur but didn't do the vallée blanche. We had insane snow so just hit the trees in resort, then the weather went crappy and we didn't think it was worth it. Speak to the chaps in the guides office as early as you can and they'll discuss the weather forecast and spaces on trips. Have a shufty of my resort report for more info on the village. It'sa great little place, you;ll have a top time
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mosha marc -if you are going early march I'd have thought it would be open. I skiied the vallee blanche taking lift up from courmayeur side and ending up in chamonix (I think there was a railway for the last bit). The week I went was last week of Feb (over 10 yrs ago).

It is an amazing experience. The day our group skiied down the vallee blanche it was lovely and sunny with blue skies and got some great photos. It was my fourth week of skiing and did not find it too difficult.

Are you going with a TO? We went with Inghams and they arranged the trip and coach back from chamonix. If you are not with a TO may be you could contact the tourist info in courmayeur and see if they arrange a weekly trip.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't go with the tour op, all they'll do is add money on to the guide's price. The Bureau des Guides will sort out return transport for you.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No TO involved, we always sort ourselves out.

Google tells me that there's loads of trips organised every day from Courmayeur, including by the Bureau, and we could just tag on one of those. Most seem to bring you back in a tranny van after a couple of beers which sounds spot on.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have only skied a couple of times in Courmayeur - but there is *loads* of off piste skiing there.
Plus it doesn't get tracked as fast as Chamonix as there are less ski bums.

The Italian "Valley Blanche", otherwise known as the Valley Noire or Glacier Geant, is very different from the better known Chamonix varient.
Though they both end on the Mers de Glaces at Montenvers. In many ways the Italian one is consider to be better - steeper pitch, less people, more wild.
Though it has more crevasses and might not be ski-able until mid Feb / March onwards.
There is also heaps of off piste skiing on the Italian side of the range under the Hellbronner cable car on the glacier Toula etc.

The latest edition of the excellent Vamos Cham guide book has lots on info on Courmayeur (cresta d'alr, helbronner, valley blanche etc).
Your best bet would be to get a group of 4 people, ask a mountain guide where the snow is likely to be good, then let him take you there.

Depending on conditions you might be able to return to Italy using skins from top of the Aiguille du Midi (1hr ski tour - instead of the bus).

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 4-08-10 7:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Your best bet would be to get a group of 4 people, ask a mountain guide where the snow is likely to be good, then let him take you there.

Yep, good point. There could well be four of us on the trip who are up for it, so go out with him one day so he can have a look at us and show us around, then nip down to Cham for a swally the next day. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mosha Marc,

What Haggis_Trap says. Here's some pics from last Feb.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1458900#1458900
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobinCH, very nice. I was away when you posted that thread, but it looks great.

Is the run to Cham as mellow as it looks on your pics?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mosha Marc, I've only skied it once in pretty much perfect conditions and it was pretty straightforward. I don't remember any steep sections compared to something like the Grand Envers where there are a couple of steeper bits to navigate. We traversed as high as we could from the top of Hellbroner which brought us out on the pitch you see in the photos. We did pass between quite a few crevasses so you want to follow someone with some local knowledge.

There is also lots of great terrain on the Italian side. There is a 40degree ish couloir straight under the cable car (the first picture). The access is a bit hairy but the couloir itself is quite easy. Then there is the standard route round the big rock and down the big ladder (most of the other pictures). It's a 10min lungbuster getting round the rock (3500m) and the last section to the start of the ladder can get a bit icy but once you are down the ladder the terrain is great and not difficult.

There are also some more challenging routes, like the Marbré couloir and the Brenva glacier with 45 degree sections and more serious exposure. I haven't skied these but am tempted to do the Marbre next season.

I know a good young Englsih speaking Italian guide who knows that area well. If you want his details PM me.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy