Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What DIN are your bindings set at?

Poster: A snowHead
Further to the ski pole thread. I'm intrigued as to what DIN people here have their bindings set at, particularly the harder skiers amongst you? & what are your reasons for it?

For me i have my alpine bindings set at 14 this is because in the past i have lost a ski in a critical situation, grand enver du plan for anyone that's interested, it's not a situation i'd care to repeat. Having to ski out the grand enver du plan & then the 10+km of the vallee blanche on one ski, interestingly the lifties didn't ask for my lift pass that day on the way back. I'd also rather the chance of blowing a knee than than losing a ski in a critical situation. As while potentially a knee can be fixed i can think of more than one or two occasions where losing a ski would mean not being able to recover from a fall & almost certain death. On my touring skis i've got them set to 10.5 this is basically because they only go to 12 & i don't like to have them set any higher.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
frank4short, interesting question. what height / weight are you? I'm 1m 80 and 85kg's and set them on 10. I had them on 8 but the skis released a couple of times under pressure and that seemed much more dangerous than falling and the ski not releasing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mine (both alpine and tourers) are set on a 9 ... You should also ask what people weigh to get a fair measure for impact torque. I weigh under 11 stone and guess my 9 might correspond to a DIN range of 6 - 15 for a range of adult body sizes.

Another indicative question is how often you get your binding tested ... i.e. do you trust they're still as good as new and just hope for the best ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bobinch, I'm 5'7", (5'8" on a good day). I weigh about about 80kgs give or take a few. I have to say though i think binding weight, height charts are fine for your average piste skier though i don't think they really have a relevance for anyone pushing the boat out. As a lot of the time it's not about your ski pre-releasing but just not losing a ski at any costs when really pushing the limits.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
frank4short, why not just get your boots welded to your skis then ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
frank4short, Surely you would be a lot safer if you only set them really high for the descents where losing a ski was catastrophic and having them at a lower, leg protecting level the rest of the time. I am 183cm (6ft) and over 100kg and if I went buy the charts I should have my bindings set at 9.5 or 10 but actually have them at 8 and have not had a ski release inappropriately for years.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
frank4short, at the limits you're talking about I'm surprised you don't have your touring bindings on 12? I am pretty adventurous but avoid that sort of exposure. I'm still conscious of the potential risk of falling and twisting a knee hence haven't gone higher than 10.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What the chart says. Up it a smidge if I'm feeling ballsy and theres some nice droppy stuff about, but I love tree skiing and I've hooked skis in buried branches before, so type 3 does me fine.

In fact, thank you for reminding me - I must get the skis out and check forward pressure whilst I think about it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also don't forget that boot sole length has a great effect on what din's you should be using.... my din's just gone up as my sole length has reduced massively! ive gone from 10 to 12. (6'2 and 105 kg) set on 3+ on the charts! i think i may stick on 10 tho, i don't like running bindings near there maximum!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sarge McSarge wrote:
frank4short, Surely you would be a lot safer if you only set them really high for the descents where losing a ski was catastrophic and having them at a lower, leg protecting level the rest of the time. I am 183cm (6ft) and over 100kg and if I went buy the charts I should have my bindings set at 9.5 or 10 but actually have them at 8 and have not had a ski release inappropriately for years.

Shorter, similar and wound them down last season from 8 to 7. Can ski fast on piste conditions/people permitting and am rubbish off-piste

I'm a 297 / 25.5 boot however and I believe that has an difference? Do longer boots need higher DIN (everything else being consistent) due to leverage? I don't know here I hasten to add..

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 27-11-09 9:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bigger boots have lower din's..... I never quite understood it but thats how it is!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
frank4short, I'm 5'10" just under 12 stone, 27.5 boot.. have my bindings set at about 7, only upped them from 6, beginning of last season, when I lost a ski doing a 180 jump turn and landed 'badly', but not badly enough to warrant it to release. No problems since.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A longer lever requires less force to achieve the same result, such as a ruptured knee. So a lower setting is required to release the ski before the damage is done. I know that racers seem to rely on the "Safety Screw" system. That is, they crank the din up to the max and hope(pray) that the binding screws will rip out before the knee fails. Not a scientific system but winning is everything right? Confused
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dansmith wrote:
bigger boots have lower din's..... I never quite understood it but thats how it is!

Longer boots = greater turning moment/torque on the knee hence the lower setting.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
1.83m, 90kg, 26.0 Mondo, DIN 8
snow report
DIN 6 for me, but I'm not entirely sure what it means!
snow report
Din 6, FYI 83-85kg 5'10", Mondo 27
latest report
I'm much the same as davidof, though slightly lighter when I'm racing*. DIN 6 and 27 or 27.5 Mondo boots, but the bindings are 7TMs.

*XC so the bindings there don't release
ski holidays
1.79m, 86 kg, Mondo 27, DIN 10 front 11 back (although I start the season somewhat lower).

At DIN 8 I end up pre-releasing if snow and terrain are very variable.

I once skied for two days by mistake with a 12 DIN on borrowed skis and they released just fine on a fall. I probably wouldn't go more than 12.
snow report
aren't you supposed to calculate your DIN on BSL not mondo?
snow report
Quote:

aren't you supposed to calculate your DIN on BSL not mondo?

yes, but i know the mondo size of my boots sitting here at work whereas the sole length I had to measure when I adjusted the bindings and don't know of the top of my head.
snow conditions
I'm 6', 83kg, 324 bsl and I usually ski quite fast and aggressively with DINs on 11 and have raced SG/DH at 14. I don't think I've never had a pre-release with my Salomon bindings and even on 14 they came off every time I had a sufficiently bad fall, even slow twisting faceplants in powder and they'd release.

Unfortunately I've had several prereleases with my Atomics and Markers even when wound up tight. The Atomics were simply awful and as a result quite scary to ski on. I had a pre-release on the GC at Deux Alpes and unfortunately took out a woman below me as I slid down the slope on my back bottom trying to stop, and then had another on a completely flat slope at high warp. I got them checked out in resort but they were apparently fine. Even so they were binned at the end of the week.
ski holidays
1.75m, 25.5 mondo, weigh 60kg
Last season i tore a ligament when my ski didnt release whilst trying a 360 and landing awkwardly. I am going skiing again in january (my ligament has healed now, havnt skied since the accident though) but im not sure what my din setting should be? Im a very aggressive skier do quite alot of off piste and spend some time in the park. Any advice on din setting would be great Smile
ski holidays
Use these charts to work your DIN setting out.

http://www.dinsetting.com/dinchart.htm

Think they all come with loads of disclaimers etc etc
latest report
1.95 28.5 125

Not telling you which is which tho Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

Last season i tore a ligament when my ski didnt release

Similar story for me, I have had my bindings checked and reset them to the manfacturers recommendation (they were 1 point above last season) - we'll see how I get on in a few weeks...
ski holidays
frank4short, that seems unreasonably high to me. I'm a lightweight at 1m70 and 62kgs but ski (fast and usually in bumps) on DIN 6.5 ish.

My understanding is that pre-releases are more to do with incorrect set ups or a binding problem - or indeed snow underfoot - than DIN settings too low. Sideshow_Bob, mentions SG/DHing at 14, but that's a whole different ball game.
snow conditions
I hate to sound preachy but...

A few very high settings here, feel a little concerned for some ol' knees.... I honestly think a few people should consider knocking theirs down a peg or two (i will leave it to individuals to decide if i mean them). If a binding is realeasing early ALWAYS check it fits the boot well before cranking up the din, even too tight a binding can result in pre-release.

Please would everyone take a second to consider if they have their settings up higher than they need because they had one or two pre-releases and that was how they stopped it or and (be honest with yourself) because you wanted to seem hardcore...

preach over
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It all depends, as dulcamara you know fairly well. One should be careful, I have first hand experience. A too tight back binding made me break my shinbone when I was 10 years old. Now I weigh 90 kg, have 28.5 boot. I relatively easily walk myself out of DIN 8-9 settings and can turn myself out of a DIN 8 front binding. Skiing with anything lower than 10 is guaranteed prerelease in a place where I need it the least.
latest report
80kg, 6'1", type 3 skier with 309mm BSL.

I run 13 on S916, 14 on V816. I've happily run Naxo at the max of 13s and my Dynafits, which only go to 10, are maxed on 10.

I used to run a pair of 18.0 Comps at around 16 depending on my mood. Make your own assumptions (actually, I really liked the bindings).

I once had a tele ski whack me in the head, but I had just ripped the binding out of the ski.

For the record, I have broken P14s, S914ti & smashed the plate on a V816.
snow conditions
demos, I have seen a few people turning their feet out of bindings around 10, this would worry me, does it happen with all bindings or the ones you are on at the moment?

Mate had a pair of LOOKs he could turn out of at 8/9, changed skis and they were fine.
latest report
What DIN setting you need to have also depends on your technique.

If you a big powerful macho skier who forces your turns, then you are going to need a higher DIN setting to avoid unexpected release.
If you are lighter skier with correct technique who persuades the skis to work without having to force it, then you can safely go with a lower setting.

Racers though mostly seem to crank the bindings up as high as they go on the basis that if a ski comes off in a rutted course they've lost it - whereas at the speed they are going if they have a crashing fall, the ski is likely to come off even with a v.high setting. Most injuries happen in slow, twisting falls, especially in heavy conditions, so it makes sense to have a lower DIN setting if you ski in those conditions.
snow report
Quote:

especially in heavy conditions, so it makes sense to have a lower DIN setting if you ski in those conditions

Dragons dens latest winner... Scotland specific Bindings go all the way up to 2
snow report
dulcamara, don't forget that if the bindings aren't perfect set up (ie forward pressure etc) it doesn't matter what the DIN box says, you could step of 18 or not come out at 4. Demo bindings are the worst of all.

Also boot wear has a huge part to play in consistent binding release. I've been called all sorts by some of my friends for using Cat Tracks for the last 8 years and my alpine soles are in really good condition and I know I'm in for a smooth release.
snow report
Quote:

Cat Tracks for the last 8 years and my alpine soles are in really good condition and I know I'm in for a smooth release

a top tip to all snowHead 's Cool Cool
snow conditions
1.8m, 75-80kg (winter coat or not), bsl 315 and I set them at 10.
latest report
I'm still on a 7.5 but I'm 73kg and ski with a very light touch... I've fallen over so many times that I just tend to roll and keep the legs clear.
snow report
parlor wrote:
dulcamara, don't forget that if the bindings aren't perfect set up (ie forward pressure etc) it doesn't matter what the DIN box says, you could step of 18 or not come out at 4. Demo bindings are the worst of all.

Also boot wear has a huge part to play in consistent binding release. I've been called all sorts by some of my friends for using Cat Tracks for the last 8 years and my alpine soles are in really good condition and I know I'm in for a smooth release.

This happened to me a few years ago. At the time I didn't realize how much damage you can do to your boots just from walking on concrete. Boot wear, like I had, definitely affects the bindings ability to function correctly.
snow report
Too true... I now use Cat's for walking.
ski holidays
Well here is a handy marker / salomon DIN calculator for everyone...

http://www.dinsetting.com/

Though I reckon most pre-releases are perhaps caused by either

- badly adjusted toe or heel piece.
- snow & ice on the boot sole after hiking (eeeeeeek !!!)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy