Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What to buy the misses

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys and gals.

I am new to this ski forum but not new to skiing - i have been skiing for many years off and on although not at a resort for nearly 9 years (just in uk slopes/snowdomes) and have recently introduced the lovely misses to the joys of skiing and life on the slopes.

She once got persuaded to watch me for two hours at Tamworth (she had little choice to be honest Smile i'd made an unannounced preplanned visit after a day out - well we were passing! and she had two options wait in the car or sit and have a drink/watch!)

After that she suggested she should give it ago as it would perphaps make these little outings of mine less tedious for her and as she knew it was something i really loved wanted to get involved.

So after a couple of lessons on the slopes in the UK she got the hang of it ish - shes not a true snowhead yet as she doesnt LOVE it but will go on for an hour or two. SO i thought id whisk her away to France for a ski-break in Nov as she has a compulsory week off work - so i dont have to tell her untill last minute = it'l be a nice surprise from me, and a good break for us, but also she might fall inlove with it if she was in a resort.

But she doesnt have much appropriate ski-type wear. She wears the same outfit everytime we go to an indoor one and not sure how appropriate it will be in the snow.

SO any advice on exactly what she will need? I can buy some of it as a surprise (i know her size/style well - she has me very well trained Wink ) and then take her shopping the weekend before we go to get the rest.

Thanks.

Lee
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
funinthesnow, Where are you going that has snow in November? I'd pop down to TK max and sort her out with some Ski pants, jacket, gloves and socks. Went into our local TK today, they had a lot of cheap gear. A good tip here, make sure she has lessons, and don't try and teach her yourself.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alpe d'Huez - but its the very end of Nov/overlapping with beginning of Dec.

Will that be ok do you think?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
funinthesnow, welcome to snowHeads!

I presume you're going to one of the glacier resorts that early in the season... while I sympathise with your reasons for wanting to take the missus to resort, not sure that November is the time to fall in love. Could be icy hard, tricky. Has she got any mandatory vacation in March? Toofy Grin

I'm sure that what she wears in the dome - unless it's jeans and a t-shirt Shock - will be fine in resort too. Maybe some thermals in case it's really cold? If you've got a jacket, salopettes, hat or helmet and gloves then I think you're sorted. Oh and proper (thin) ski socks - they make a big difference when the boots are on all day.

Have fun!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I havent booked it yet - i have just enquired - so could maybe delay it but it was an ideal time thats all? And liked the idea of surprising her a little bit!

Yes she wouldnt let me teach her nor would i want to! so thats fine!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
funinthesnow, Go to Tignes instead better chance of snow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
funinthesnow, I'm only jealous wink No matter what time of year you go, one thing you can guarantee are mountains - and that (or rather the views up in them) - is half of why I love skiing so. There's never a guaranteed good time - you may go in January or March, and get a week of bad vis. Book it up, sweep her off her feet, and enjoy Cool
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
She normally just wears tracksuit bottoms, a hoodie and a waterproof jacket plus gloves. So think she might need something else? Dont you think or am i out of touch!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A friend of mine went there last season. I dont think the skiing in the glacier is great to learn on. (too steep). Not sure how early in the season the snow falls in the lower slopes, I would be surprised if there was much snow lower down in November though. Sure someone will be along soon to advise you on that one.

You should definitely take her away for a surprise trip, she will love it , but I think November might be a bit early. I don't know if any tour operators do trips that early. Xmas would make a great trip if you can go then.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 27-09-09 22:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
funinthesnow, I'd agree with the comments above - skiing in November is for hardcore enthusiasts. Unless you strike really lucky with the weather she'll get a dreary impression - auite possibly a grey, drizzly, deserted and half-closed resort with a long trek up a mountain to possibly rather icy slopes, with snow quality rather worse than she's used to indoors in the UK. Few resorts open fully before mid December and even those which do can have poor quality snow - just a few years ago, in the second week of December, there was just 1 lift open in the whole of the Courchevel Valley and none at all in Meribel. Even in Val Thorens - one of the highest of the lot - most of the lifts were closed. It was nice and sunny, though. wink

What to wear should be the least of your problems. A visit to a T K Maxx would be fun - if your wife is anything like most women she'd prefer to shop for herself, with you helping out from experience of what's needed. Goggles will be a main difference - and generally stuff for coping with winds and wind chill.

If you absolutely MUST go in November then one possibility would be to get in touch with Charlotte Swift about some lessons in Les Deux Alpes (see easiski.com).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well how much do you want to spend? ski clothing runs from cheap and nasty through cheap(ish) and decent all the way to (really) expensive, which can be excellent or just ok. (There are ways and means to get savings on the more expensive stuff, but buying for someone else on a relative tight timeline means you're less likely to benefit of those).

If anything, spend more on salopettes (when falling / sitting in the snow it's good to have a good quality salopette) and get her a jacket that looks cool (of course it still has to be at least decent quality).

TK Maxx often has stuff in the cheap(ish) but decent bracket. Decathlon may also be good if you're in London.

The rule is layers, make sure she has a base layer (bottoms and long-sleeve tops) that wicks moisture (again TK Maxx could help). Then a light fleece under the jacket if it's cold, or no fleece if warm. Good gloves!

Snow in November/ early December is NOT guaranteed, except maybe in glacier resorts (well, any high resort which opens for those dates will prepare at least some runs, even if it doesn't snow, but it may look grey and brown, not a sight to fall in love with). You can wait and book accommodation last minute wherever the snow falls, but flight tix more tricky.

Alpe d'Huez is a good resort for beginners mixing with advanced skiers, but I've once seen it very bony in mid December (have been back since and had great snow).

Good luck, I hope she falls in love with it!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Forgot to say, cotton is NOT your friend.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
funinthesnow, I would take the November/December holiday with your buddies, not the wife!!!!

Unless the idea is to put her off skiing for life and gives you a run at the holidays with your mates any time you want as she wont be interested and would say "funinthesnow, you go and enjoy yourself " wink I thik that the best time to take her is March and probably to a Swiss/Italian/Austrian resort as the nightlife in those places would be more of entertainment than France.

Dont get me wrong, I love skiing therefor love France, but if I am taking beginners with me I look at going to a place more suitable for them. If you get a newbie hooked you will have a ski buddy for life! Take her to France when she can slide!

To round up: November/December with your ski pals and get another trip with the mrs. in March.

As to your question re kit, this will probably be determined what time of the year you go!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Misses? more than one - you busy chap.

Anyway pedantry over. If you love her and want her to love skiing I would say AVOID November and wait until late Feb/ March next year when then snow will be better, the weather milder and you won't put her off for life. Take her somewhere with nice things OTHER than skiing too (spa, shops etc) as a week for a beginner can be quite tiring.

Well done on the gear buying option - a good start.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You could look at going north in November - no, not Scotland. Scandinavia.
ski holidays
Hi fun in the snow,

It should be a nice surprise. As well as other stuff listed here (Salopettes, jacket, gloves, goggles, hat etc.) buy some small layers for her. Maybe some small tops she can wear under the outfit. These can be bought reltively cheap anyway Smile
As well s TK most high street retailers have a good selection of ski equip. When I went to Andorra I bought out of a second hand outdoor camping store in Dublin and the outfits were very reasonable so this may be another option....

Either way I hope she likes it. I know my partner wouldn't go out and buy my outfits for me! Should have trained him more before I married him ha ha.

Angela.
ski holidays
Forget about November, she will not get the benefit of skiing with all its attractions at that time of the year! I agree with Nadenoodlee, it is important, dare I say MOST IMPORTANT that you go to a place other than France for her first alpine experience! After all if she does not take to the sliding she can still have a good holiday! Most French resorts are perfect for the likes of us that want to slide as much as possible but the apres scene does not match the other countries I mentioned earlier!

Have fun
ski holidays
What about Kaprun or Zell in Austria?? They are glacier resorts. You would have to see if any of the other members have been to these resorts this early in the season though as I can't speak from experience where this point is concerned.......
Should be easy enough to pick up flights with Ryanair or similar airline also to SZG.
snow conditions
funinthesnow, welcome to snowHead s
Masque has written an excellent thread about essential gear here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621
latest report
Angel1977, glaciers are good fun but not the best places to learn/ gain confidence as they are normally pretty crowded (ski teams training and whoooshing past) and the snow isnt the greatest
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Angel1977, glaciers are good fun but not the best places to learn/ gain confidence as they are normally pretty crowded (ski teams training and whoooshing past) and the snow isnt the greatest

There you go - thought I was helping Smile
I will go with the other advice given here then. Go for later in the season because to be sure you have snow at that time of the year you need to go with the higher resorts (which may be the glacier ones). However if these are going to be so busy it is not going to be fun for your partner to learn on and may end up doing more damage!!

What about giing her a voucher for xmas saying it is valid for 1 weeks skiing between January and March and that way ye can decide n the date to go together??? Just an alternative thought Smile After this the word will be your oyster.....another plus is that you'll be able to see which areas are having the best snowfall Laughing

Angela.
latest report
Quote:

Skiing in November is for hardcore enthusiasts. Unless you strike really lucky with the weather she'll get a dreary impression - auite possibly a grey, drizzly, deserted and half-closed resort with a long trek up a mountain to possibly rather icy slopes, with snow quality rather worse than she's used to indoors in the UK. Few resorts open fully before mid December and even those which do can have poor quality snow

Not in my 20 years experience of early winter trips. Have skied the glaciers at Hintertux, Soelden, Pitztal, Kaunertal, Stubaital, Kaprun, Garmisch & Tignes in that time - at least 40 days on snow - and have had excellent winter snow/packed powder on every trip but one. Even that trip (Tignes one November) had passable - but hard in places - snow. Certainly not worse than an indoor slope.

There's as much chance of blue sky and good weather as at any other time of the year and going somewhere like Tignes is not a trudge up the mountain but involves a 7 minute funicular ride to emerge from an autumn-like valley into a winter wonderland. Yes, resorts can be very quiet - which means very pleasant, uncrowded slopes and no problem in getting a restaurant table on an evening for a leisurely spot of apres.

I'd say go for it - November glacier conditions are generally excellent - and be prepare to be converted to "hardcore enthusiast" status Very Happy
snow conditions
Stick to what others said, go yourself in November to the glaciers and save the holiday for "herself and yourself" in March. She needs to experience the mountains in the best possible light, then she will be converted! Very Happy
ski holidays
mountainaddict, I agree that early glacier skiing can be great - for confirmed skiers. But the whole experience of resort level snow, sitting round in the restaurants admiring snow as far as the eye can see, easy beginner slopes just next to your accommodation - is much better for a complete newcomer who needs convincing. OK, it might be 7 minutes up the funicular at Tignes but first you need to get up, get there, often elbow your way on with a great throng of racers..... that sort of thing is likely to be pretty offputting to many newcomers. Last time I went to Tignes it took at least 45 minutes from climbing in the minibus to standing out on the snow - sometimes longer if you'd just missed a train.
snow conditions
Pre-season glaciers are not the best option for your only ski holiday IMO. Brilliant for training and for a sneaky trip to get your winter season off to an early start. But not great for your first experience of skiing holidays.
ski holidays
I agree. There will be no other beginners around in November. Off season is for racers and mad ski fanatics (otherwise known as snowHeads wink ) who go several times a year and still take lessons. She will look around and think she is the worst skier in the world! Take her in February when the skiing muppets (I took a lesson once and when I'm not in the bar I'm a sh"t-hot skier) are around. She'll feel a lot better about herself.
snow report
Quote:

She will look around and think she is the worst skier in the world!

maggi, Laughing that's true - nothing like being surrounded by national teams training through the gates and 7 year olds skiing backwards on one leg to make you wonder why you bother!
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

mountainaddict, I agree that early glacier skiing can be great - for confirmed skiers. But the whole experience of resort level snow, sitting round in the restaurants admiring snow as far as the eye can see, easy beginner slopes just next to your accommodation - is much better for a complete newcomer who needs convincing.

Okay...okay...I stand corrected (all thanks to my orthopaedic footwear....)!! I must just be too hardcore to see any shortcomings about skiing a glacier in November vs a weekend spent at Ikea or B&Q. So much so that I once accompanied beginner friends and their kids with an equally hardcore snowHead on an October half term Saas Fee glacier trip. Kids loved it.....parents er, didn't - despite fantastic snow conditions. Problem was that even "the experience of resort level snow, sitting round in the restaurants admiring snow as far as the eye can see, easy beginner slopes just next to your accommodation" wouldn't have done it for them. They only went for the sake of the kids and had no real interest in learning themselves. They liked the village, the scenery and the apres though. I suppose it's either your thing or it's not - 1 lesson on a plastic slope in the glorious surroundings of Sunderland got me hooked!

Meanwhile:
Quote:

Last time I went to Tignes it took at least 45 minutes from climbing in the minibus to standing out on the snow - sometimes longer if you'd just missed a train.

Is the minibus stop in Bourg St Maurice or somewhere Toofy Grin ?! Only kidding! I always stay in Val Claret: Under 5 mins to the train and always been lucky enough not to wait long to get up to the glacier. Regardless, I always remember a quote from a Ski Scotland brochure in the 90s (ie the halcyon era of 45 minute lift queues): "There's not a ski resort in the world that isn't busier on a weekend. And queuing on a snow covered mountain on a Saturday beats queuing in a supermarket...." It's my mantra to keep me calm in a lift queue!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict wrote:
Meanwhile:
Quote:

Last time I went to Tignes it took at least 45 minutes from climbing in the minibus to standing out on the snow - sometimes longer if you'd just missed a train.

Is the minibus stop in Bourg St Maurice or somewhere Toofy Grin ?! Only kidding! I always stay in Val Claret: Under 5 mins to the train and always been lucky enough not to wait long to get up to the glacier. Regardless, I always remember a quote from a Ski Scotland brochure in the 90s (ie the halcyon era of 45 minute lift queues): "There's not a ski resort in the world that isn't busier on a weekend. And queuing on a snow covered mountain on a Saturday beats queuing in a supermarket...." It's my mantra to keep me calm in a lift queue!

I've done several pre-season weeks in Tignes and 45 minutes sounds about right to me, unless you avoid the bun-fight for the first two or three trains up the hill (but you're unlikely to be skiing before 10am in that case and the skiing day at that time of year is normally quite short; last train down at 3.30pm?). There's a photo of the queue for the funicular at the beginning of November on my blog. That week there was no snow at resort level and conditions on the glacier were pretty sketchy: a few runs and you were down to skiing on blue ice, with the bottom half of 3500 almost unskiable due to no snow covering at all (despite this we still had to ski it to get to the lift Shocked )
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy