Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking skis with you. Is it worth the hassle?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

We never go anywhere except Europe. France is in reality our only destination. I have my pick of the newest coolest skiis. Why buy?

Because they don't usually come with a tele binding fitted.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
masmith, It's under sport+special baggage
Maybe it varies a bit depending on which country you book via?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lufthansa started charging from Edinburgh 2 years ago, seems to depend on whether they think the airport is a ski departure point.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"Heads up of the year" award goes to Andy.

Just called Lufthansa and reserved the ski carriage, not sure what woud have happened had we turned up without booking in advance, but not worth the risk.

Much appreciated.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
masmith,
Blog post? Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kruisler, done Sir.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
in response to the OP, NO!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ph wrote:
I have been skiing for five years and on average i do three skiing holidays a year. Of course i have the boots, but no skis. Is it worth the hassle of dragging them along with two children and luggage?
Especially as they need servicing every year and i can get whatever skis i want in resort.

I've been wrestling with the same quandary in the last few days. It's taken me a long time to come to the decision (and I may yet change my mind back) but I've decided to take my skis with me after all.

The reason is that rental skis just won't allow me to ski optimally and that would ruin my holiday.

The reason is nothing to do with the cost or with the quality of the rental equipment. I think what put me off renting was an article in this months fall-line magazine, but then if the article was commissioned by ski manufacturers, it may have been a little biased towards buying...

...however, I have no children to take with me. If I did, I'd opt for renting.

Of course the luxury of travelling through the airport without having to seek out the oversized luggage department in a tiny airport where all skiing flights have landed at the same time, seems pretty appealing too. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
masmith, it is explained in more details here http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/uk/info_and_services/baggage?nodeid=1769640&l=en&cid=1000243&blt_p=GB&blt_l=en&blt_t=Info_and_Services>Baggage&blt_e=Content&blt_n=Related%20topics&blt_z=Excess%20and%20special%20b&blt_c=GB%7Cen%7CInfo_and_Services%3EBaggage%7CContent%7CRelated%20topics%7CExcess%20and%20special%20b but it's very confusing with the 'piece concept' and 'weight concept'. I think it means that one ski bag per person is fine, but doesn't mention boot bags.

It is strange because it always used to be free, and then when we went away for Christmas 2006, we got stung with £40 per set because it was a 'new policy' (which I objected to as they hadn't informed me of the change), so it looks like they have changed again.

I'm going to ring to confirm I think.

D
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Deliaskis, I called this morning - ski carriage is free (well at least it is on the Manchester > Munich flight in January), maybe you only have to pay at check-in if you do not do this pre-register thing.

I was told you get 1 x ski bag (they ask you how much it will weigh, as I was doing this for myself and 3 others I didn't know the wieght, they suggested 15kg whic seemed reasonable) plus 1 x regular hold bag (20kg) plus 1 boot bag.

Having said that, the guy I spoke to wasn't clear at all about what would happened if I turned up with just one board bag weighing more than the 15kg, i.e. I pack the board bag with boots and luggage - this would undoubtedly weigh less than the total baggage allowed and will in theory reduce handling costs (1 bag vs 3). He said that as he wasn't sure, the best thing to do would be to stick to the 15kg limit on the board/ski bag, and also take a suitcase type bag for other luggage, another call may be required to clear this up.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
masmith, thanks fro update. That is really good news - we are doing Manchester - Munich as well so thanks for letting me know. Last time (in 06) they were definitely charging, but they must have changed their policy, perhaps to give another reason to use them instead of no-frills.

Funny about the board bag packed full of other things, because there is a note at the bottom of the web page about sports equipment bags only containing the sports equipment, or else may be charged as normal baggage. It's really not very straight forward.

Ta for update.

D
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ph wrote:
stoatsbrother, We never go anywhere except Europe. France is in reality our only destination. I have my pick of the newest coolest skiis. Why buy?

Because everyone will know you're just a tripper and not a dedicated skier.

I take my board because I love carrying the big bag round at the airport, it makes me feel superior to all the crap people who dont have their own gear. i love my board more than many members of my family.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nadenoodlee, and board hire options are generally rubbish - both in style and substance Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, and there is a strong chance they will be ugly boy boards Sad not pretty girls boards Very Happy So its much safer all round to take my Luna Very Happy (and I can fit a whole second wardrobe in my board bag thus leaving room in my suitcase for neccessities such as a hair dryer, velcro rollers and gin)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nadenoodlee,
Quote:

I take my board because I love carrying the big bag round at the airport, it makes me feel superior to all the crap people who dont have their own gear

Are you sure you are not from Cheshire and are secretly married to a Premiership footballer? Laughing
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
I take my board because I love carrying the big bag round at the airport, it makes me feel superior to all the crap people who dont have their own gear. i love my board more than many members of my family.

That's a bit harsh. I know plenty of crap people who do have their own gear. It's simply quite wrong to generalise in such ways.
snow report
ph, good god wash your mouth out, I dont go out with chavs. Ever. I'd rather skin my own toes than be northern.
snow report
ph, she can't be - I don't think they drink gin, and fairly sure they'd have a stylist in tow Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, there are not many pink boards, that is for sure wink
snow conditions
masmith, you are wrong
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, OK
ski holidays
rayscoops, mine is white and blue and pink and yellow and has ACTUAL glitter on it Smile
latest report
Nadenoodlee, Very Happy Laughing mine is grey with engineering thingies on it, my spare board is grey with a skull on it Very Happy
latest report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
ph, good god wash your mouth out, I dont go out with chavs. Ever. I'd rather skin my own toes than be northern.

Cheshire? NOrthern?

Shocked
latest report
Nadenoodlee, I'm probably too 'northern' to say this but you may have given me another reason for my intended totally frivolous purchase of my own skis. They will be much more pleasing to the eye than any hire shop tat! Laughing
snow report
queen bodecia, I like to help where possible. Hire shop stuff with its horrible stickers and bits that cover the ends to save them from crap skiers + rocks, oh no thank you!
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Nowt wrang wi NORTHERNERS! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
queen bodecia, Nadenoodlee, You where obviously going to chavy hire shops. We can afford to go a higher class what with saving all that money from living up north. wink Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ph, darling I don't hire. You don't save money from living up north, it's compensation FOR living up north wink
ski holidays
Quote:

darling

Miss Ab Fab. We all can't have butlers to carry our skiis! Laughing
snow report
Did anyone here read the Fall-line article in this months edition?

It basically said that although you may think your getting the newest most flash skis out there, what your actually getting is the 'Rental versions' which cost the shop about £50 a pop and are completely different to the actual things

although I do have my doubts on how much of that i actually believe.
ski holidays
brizatow, I took it with a pinch of salt myself..
latest report
JT, I am inclined to believe it as regards low and mid-level skis - less so perhaps for the top level skis with rail mounting systems rather than demo-bindings. Most of the things I'd heard said before by other people.
snow report

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 30-09-09 0:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
In case it's relevant or useful to anybody. Ryanair have some sort of free ski carriage offer on at the moment. Whether there is a catch or not, maybe it's only for skis over 2.3m long or something, I will leave that for somebody else to find out and let us know.......
snow conditions
Quote:

You don't save money from living up north, it's compensation FOR living up north

Indeed. I am under 20 mins drive from unlimited mountain biking/hiking amidst the splendour and wilderness of the North York Moors; 75 mins from the incomparable Lake District; 60 mins from real skiing on real snow in the Pennines; about the same from the completely deserted Cheviots and the Yorkshire Dales; the mountain bike meccas and ski slopes of Scotland are within easy weekend driving distance...... Aye, it's certainly grim up north - absolutely awful in fact for anyone like me who lives for the outdoors. Give me a 2 hour/20 mile commute and the helpless feeling of being trapped in a concrete jungle any day.

Still, ignorance is bliss as they say wink
snow conditions
mountain biking and hills arent my thing and skiing in the Pennines? again not my thing. It all sounds cold and wet and windy.
snow report
Interesting one this, and one that has no definitive answer, except the one that suits your personal circumstances.
I have hired in the past, but not I ski 3 weeks a season I have bought 2 pairs for me and 1 for the Mrs. The kids are grown up now and dont come with us (or if they do they pay their own way....) so its not hassle carrying a ski bag from the car to the check in, and from the terminal to the transfer bus. Plus I usually go with tour op packages and therefore either pay nothing or very little for carriage in comparison to the budgets. I also bought my skis carefully and therefore the price I paid for them well outweighs the cost of rental, which in some resorts is now astronomical. However, if I had younger kids, I might see it differently as I dont think you want yo buy kids skis for recreational use until they are about 18 and fully grown as they will need replacing. Alternatively, I'd consider driving and taking whatever I could get in the car.
For me however, a suitcase with my boots packed in, and a ski bag with some clothing to keep the skis safe is the best way, and certainly the cheapest, esp when you consider I paid £180 for my first pair of skis, £125 for my second, and EU 150 for the wifes (all inc bindings) and I can get them serviced in resort for around EU 15-20.
I guess you do what suits your personally.
latest report
Always used to hire and then one time we had the most awful dreadful terrible did I say awful skiis - felt so unsafe that we really didn't want to ski, changed them but even though they were better they weren't that much better.

Never never never going through that feeling again so bought some on return from that particular holiday and haven't regretted it at all
ski holidays
Tollpepper, Our 2 year old was pulling her case along on a hot holiday we have just come back from. Very Happy
I can feel skis for us all coming on. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy