Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Race Disruption raises fears for Turin Olympics.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The men's giant slalom race was stopped in Bormio, Italy today, one hour before it was due to begin, due to a wildcat strike by workers for Italian TV company RAI. Police had to intervene as disappointed fans attacked one of RAI's vans...

The competitors from many of the smaller nations, still making practice runs, unaware of the postponement, demonstrated the scale of disarray caused. Although, presumably they must have been bemused by the absence of the bigger teams, who had received forewarning and not turned up at the hill.

FIS general secretary Sarah Lewis described herself as "disappointed, angry and frustrated” and International Ski Federation (FIS) president Gian-Franco Kasper, as a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), found himself defending the arrangements in place to avoid such strikes, which are a common occurrence in Italy, disrupting the Winter Olympics, due to take place there next year.

The race is expected to be rescheduled for tomorrow, a planned rest day, although at this point the FIS has not confirmed this.

http://www.skiracing.com/news/news_display.php/2243/ALPINE
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Skiing/2005/02/03/919167-ap.html

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 10-02-05 11:44; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Living in Whistler I thought that some of the racing would be on our cable system here, so I went into Whistler Cable and asked about it before the championships started... Bormeo...? Skiing...? On our TV distribution system...? Never heard of it....!

Since none of the Bormio racing has been shown for even one racer's run on Canadian TV so far, and, as far as I can see from satelite and cable listings none has been shown on any USA TV either, I can't see what the lack of a bunch of camera operators has to do with runing a ski race..

Which begs the question 'Are FIS ski race organisers or fund raisers for FIS staff parties?'

The TV company has presumably agreed to pay for the right to televise the races, if they can't get their workers to work, it is their problem not that of FIS. Unless, of course, FIS is on a percentage of the world reselling rights in which case they stand to lose out. In which case do the racers payments go up with more coverage? Puzzled

Aloha
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The FIS press release reveals little of what really went on. By 8am the seating areas around the arrival area were - for once - completely taken. Spectators thronged to the sides of the course. Italian expectations were high, with a genuine medal hope following Blardone's performances in the World Cup this season.

Yet something was clearly in the air. Officials and racers were engaged in intense debate in the arrival area. Then suddenly, the unthinkable. Over the loudspeakers came the announcement "The race has been postponed because of a television strike!" The crowd reacted angrily, the police had to intervene when a RAI tv van was kicked and shaken.

FIS President Kaspar gave an interview an hour later. He stated that it was an illegal strike, without notice. This was untrue, as at 18h48 the previous evening, according to EBU President Hächler, notice of the intention to strike was given by the Libersind Union, and Kasper had in fact been involved in negotiations to try to resolve the dispute throughout the night.

Efforts to replace the missing personnel with foreign crews, according to RAI management, were successful. However according to FIS only 40% of retransmissions could be guaranteed.

One thing's for sure. Everyone, apart apparently from the organisers and FIS, knew that the strike was a distinct possibility. Back in January the Union had already discussed a strike, a reaction to the privatisation of RAI and the deprofessionalisation of certain posts. A handful of Union personnel, placed at strategic points were able to disrupt programming as a result. It was hardly unexpected, and another demonstration of FIS naivety and complacency in my opinion. Ok the Italian organisers were also at fault, but the buck stops with FIS.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Deja Vue - it also happened in Bormio in 1985
Quote:
Kasper said he was informed of the strike threat Tuesday night but was unable to assemble a makeshift crew of Swiss, German and Austrian TV workers. He said a ski federation TV crew would be in place if the strike continued Thursday, and the race might proceed even without television.

Kasper recalled a similar strike when the worlds were previously in Bormio in 1985.

"Twenty years ago here we had the same problem," he said. "It sounds like a joke, but it's true."

Full article from the SFGate quoting Andrew Dampf, AP Sports Writer.
And more on topic
Quote:
"As an IOC member I told the Turin organizing committee two years ago that they should try to have a law against strikes during the Olympics, and so far nothing I know has happened," said Gian Franco Kasper, president of the ski federation.

The Turin organizing committee responded Wednesday by saying it intends to create an arrangement with workers' organizations that stipulates a "trade union truce" during the games.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For those actually hoping to watch the race today, Eurosport has the first run live at 8.30 am (UK time). The second run is at 12.30 pm.

Neil McQuiod of Racer Ready Mag has written a preview of the race and lists the main contenders here on snowRacers.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy