Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ditching the boarding for a baby!

Poster: A snowHead
Specialman, your baby would be FAR less trouble on a ski trip in January 2010 than in January 2011. Travelling with 3 month old babies is a piece of cake; at 15 months they have ideas of their own and the motor ability to put them into practice. wink

Good luck for the new arrival. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hey thanks, Specialman! Yeah that's what we look forward too also. Next year we get our holiday and we have a little one so two great things at once!

I am missing the boarding though!!! But I think it's probably more to do with the fact that I can't go (well some people do but my OH won't let me) and you always wan't something you can't have!! I'm now coming up to 3 months so I look at it this way - only another 6 months without the snow. No biggie is it!

Thank all for the congrats, my OH and I are so happy! Going for our scan in a few weeks Very Happy

He or she will be boarding in no time Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jode_123, I'm not a boarder but stumbled accross this thread and it is lovely. Congratulations. My baby no 2 was made on our ski hol so she was ready for her first trip early April the next year - we were going to miss a season but I couldn't resist. Have to say I wouldn't ski if pregnant, I'd just give myself such a hard time if anything went wrong. Hope you have a great pregnancy and are boarding in no time.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shimmy Alcott, how old was Shimmy Junior when you went away for the first time? Sideways_Junior is due 1st week of December and if he and mum are fit and well then we are (fingers crossed)hoping to take him away in late Mar/Apr. Any advice, suggestions or dire warnings?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jode_123, We had our second child last year but still went away in the easter (baby was born in June). My wife didn't ski but still really enjoyed the holiday. She enjoyed sitting and watching my eldest son in lessons etc. Although she did have lots of company on the trip as it was a group trip.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard_Sideways, about four and a half months. The doctor knew I was going and never said anything but when i wasa there quite a few people said you shouldnt take babies to the mountains till the are six months old - due to the lung development and the altitude (we were in Courch 1800). Have to say she didn't sleep great. I've mentioned that on here before though and people disputed it so i dont know. Maybe do a thread to see? We had a great week though. Just swapped childcare - Dad skied in the morning and i skied in the afternoon. PM if you want to know anything further - I dont Snowboard so I dont much come in here! Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi All - thanks for your replies! Can't believe how long this thread has been going for!

Pregnancy is going well. Three months now and starting to show Very Happy

My other half and I have already decided that we're going to Kaprun in the summer, about August/Sept for a week to snowboard on the glaciers. And now we've decided to sort our wedding out in Zell am See for the following year and little one will be old enough to experience it all! Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jode_123, Good to hear Junior is growing nicely, and congrats on the wedding too.
Only got about 5 weeks till Sideways_Junior is due to make an appearance.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Richard_Sideways, sideways isn't ideal.....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richard_Sideways, Mouth junior was born 9 dec and he was in the mountains at 9 weeks (he had just had his first innoculation at 8 weeks). He spent 3 and a half weeks for this first trip and went back again the same season when he was 15 weeks for another 2 weeks.

Have to say that was 2 years ago and he has not look back since!

I do know that you should not take children under 1 above 3000m as we did try in the summer when he was 8 months to take him up the Tignes glacier but were not allowed.

babies are born all the time in the mountains so my advice is get that trip booked!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Laughing my OH has been MOST vocal on that subject, both about Junior's current orientation and whether he's going to ski or board (he'll board Cool )

Mouth, think we'll be leaving it to the last minute to book this season, see how things go and just how impoverished we become with a new baby and buying a rennovation project which probably needs everything doing to it including exorcism. THM the whole thing about babies and altitude didn't even occur to us until Shimmy's post.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sideways_junior is going to ski, Richard got that part wrong! I hope he got the exorcism bit wrong too but the house is a probate sale....

seriously, useful thread, thanks Jode_123, - and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy! we'll update if we do get on the piste this season, and I'll let you know what its like with a little one in tow.

The info about altitude is useful Shimmy Alcott and Mouth - if we do make it, it'll be late season and Europe and so therefore quite likely high. Which is handy as I've found that both Val Thorens and Les Menuires have creche's from 3 months and they are both high!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hey always29, yes def do update us on the season and the holiday with little one! Pre warn me Very Happy I've been told that with little ones, you often find a lack of sleep as they are too excited to go and play in the snow! Hope you and the family have a great hol Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mouth, apparently the babies born in the mountains are acclimatised - their blood makes some kind of compensation for it - can't remember what. How much of this is actual fact and not Old Wives tales is another matter though. If I was considering doing it again I think I might ask the Docs on here for their advice.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shimmy Alcott, dont take babies over 2000m or they explode, not a pretty sight, seen it 3 times now, never gets any easier to watch.
snow report
Jonny luv plums, Laughing Laughing wow, I must have got lucky then.
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, there is some theory to my madness. so far as I know a plane gets pressurised to 2000m when flying and I've seen babies on flights and they didnt explode (much).

I've seen fcking retards taking babies to 3454m and wonder why its screaming all day. I would scream if I was about to explode.
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, I saw a TV programme about the original Spanish settlers high up on the altiplano (3600/5000m) in Bolivia. Their babies all died - very sad memorials in the cemeteries - even though the local indigenous people could have babies up there OK. The TV programme didn't suggest they'd exploded; it was before the watershed. wink Eventually after a lot of inter-breeding the genetic ability to deliver healthy babies at term spread gradually amongst the settler population too. Can't imagine it being a problem on a ski holiday if you're sensible; you can ski up the top of 3 Valleys and sleep (and leave the baby) down the bottom, can't you? Not many of us take ski holidays in La Paz and anyone taking a small baby up to the top of the Grande Motte should have their kids taken into care.
snow report
just remembered - there are signs about this on the Aiguille du Midi cable car in Chamonix. No littlies.
snow report
pam w, thats to do with avalanche risk, exploding babies make a hell of a POP.
ski holidays
Oh god ! Initially I was delighted to see this post- we just found out we are having an ickle person too! (bout 6 weeks gone) and we have two snowboard hols booked- first one 26th of December Austria and then February in Grindlewald needless to say not really planned - now after reading this not sure wot to be doing-
Am a very competent boarder but then again you never know whats around the corner - was planning to take it easy stick to blues/reds and no off piste - I've never broken a bone in my life so hopefully no need to worry bout that! eek I may have jinxed that!

At least if it all goes well we will have mini me by July so have plenty of time to train for 2011- plan to book under the 2000m mark- not too keen on exploding babies! NehNeh
ski holidays
I think I would ski in the first trimester - if I'm really honest, especially if it was already booked. did you see the post on the piste - 9m preggers lady out on skis in the snow Laughing
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, I agree. I skied (sorry boarded) in first trimester. I did take doctors advice and she said it was fine
ski holidays
I had no chance to get on snow whilst pregnant, but did windsurf till 8.5 months. Not a pretty sight. But falling into water is not a big deal and I didn't do anything dramatic, just pootled around in the tropics. I also rode a motorbike till fairly pregnant. Personally, I would now ski whilst pregnant for as long as I could get into the clothing - but not board, because I am an incompetent boarder and fall a fair bit, often flat on my face (catching front edge Embarassed ). snow09bride, I'd go for it, but take it easy, as you suggest, and make sure your insurance company knows - and have acknowledged that they know.
snow conditions
this might make you smile - out with some friends last night, half of whom think we are bonkers for considering taking a 3 month old to the mountains and half of whom even offered a half day of babysitting if we manage to organise a group thing like last year but the funniest thing - one friend whose wife thinks taking a child to the mountains before the age of 3 is nuts and they've bought a caravan instead for holidays for the next few years. neither me or richard_sideways got that logic - can anyone else shed any light on it?!
ski holidays
snow09bride wrote:
not too keen on exploding babies!

Don't knock it til you've tried it.
latest report
Hi Jode,

CONGRATS. Don't worry - you'll get it back, I did. We have to give up so much to have our little ones, but it's sooooo worth it when you see them getting to love the thing you're passionate about. My little boy found a piece of wood and stood on it saying "snowboard" before he was two... that shows how many sneaky "me time" trips I nipped over the channel for in the first few years of his life (Trust me I needed those trips to motivate me through my pregnancy from hell!).

I don't blame you for not boarding whilst pregnant. It's not just the falls you have you need to worry about - it's some of the other people hurtling down the mountain out of control that can be the potential danger.

I'm making a partial return to skiing this year after not doing it for over 13 years... largely due to managing my 4 year old on skis. HOWEVER I'm taking my board with me to play on whilst he has his daily lesson.

Mmmm now - the mini-turbo.... there's a thought! wink
Hope it all goes well for you, and the wait is worth it.
Roo
snow conditions
Hey, thanks Roo, Four and a half months have gone by so halfway there. I am missing the boarding more than ever now as every where I turn I see all new season kit in the shops but I know the next 5 months will fly by and I'll be back out doing what I love!!

Wow, I can't wait till our Little one can ski and board!

Yeah 9 months of not boarding and then we have the next 15 odd years snowboarding with the Little one and probably another little one later on! I wouldn't risk boarding now, instead I'm swimming and have taken up yoga - yes, not as fun but keeps my fitness up so as soon as I'm ready, I can get back on my board
Laughing

Thanks allxx
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

every where I turn I see all new season kit in the shops

ah - but the very thin snow cover is all being washed away by rain, so you're not missing a thing! wink
latest report
pam w wrote:

ah - but the very thin snow cover is all being washed away by rain, so you're not missing a thing! wink

Perhaps thats why Sideways_Junior is now 4 days overdue - he's waiting for better conditions...
snow conditions
...And with my last post in mind, little Sideways_Junior arrived fit and healthy (if rather late) this morning at 0021. Now I'm not saying that he WAS waiting for the snow falling today but... Always29 is also doing well.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, always29, congrats to you both. i hope mum and baby are doing well. me thinks you have another snowHead in the family already <- well done!
snow conditions
Mini Sideslip is 3 months old today, he moved to the Alps at 6 weeks old and appears to be very content living at 1200m. Last week he visited 1850 and that did appear to annoy him. Pleased to say he did not explode - his nappy was a bit green however!
ski holidays
sideslip1, any skid marks at 1850 Shocked wink
latest report
rayscoops, rayscoops, If Mini Sideslip is like Sideways_Jnr then it's more likely a wide green(ish) run. Shocked
snow conditions
Congrats on the baby!

We are looking to take our little one next year when he will be just over 3 years old. Would he be able to have ski lessons? Could anyone recommend a resort / chalet that is good for families?
snow conditions
rayscoops, nothing too serious.

russ_e, thanks.

It is possible to get a 3 year old into ESF here in La Tania, however it is more like a creche than lessons and can sometimes be quite an ordeal for English speaking children. Other ski schools tend to start from 4 yrs old. Obviously I have not had the experience yet but I think personally I would favour a nanny service then spend a bit of time with the little one on the snow, choosing the right conditions, warmer weather etc.
snow report
Hi Sideslip,

Thanks for the info, hadn't realised it was a creche. Might wait until he is four as I dont want to put him off before he has started!

Cheers

Russ
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy