Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another Christmas/New Year question

Poster: A snowHead
We are hoping to go away for Christmas & New Year for skiing no restrictions on where, don't want to spend a ridiculous amount and there are just the two of us, intermediate skiers. Can either be fly or drive

What we would like is a reasonably snow sure ski in/ski out location with a good mix of on piste skiing.

Any suggestions, I am getting baffled about the choices available and can't decide where to go Puzzled

HELP please
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tollpepper,
Alpe d'Huez. One of the nearest and simplest to drive to, easy to fly and transfer to via Lyon or Grenoble airports. Loads of varied skiing, fairly high 1880 to 3000+ with lots of snow cannons.
I have a vested interest but ....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tollpepper, are you going for both weeks? If so, you probably need to book before long as New Year is busy in most places. Christmas generally much less so - you could afford to wait a bit.

How about a 2 centre holiday, if you've two weeks?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Monetier in Serre Chevalier is a possibility, a pretty village in the large Serre Chevalier area. Good reliable snow record at christmas time. 250km of pistes and its about 1 hour 30 from Turin airport.

Val d'Isere and Tignes are pretty good bets in terms of playing it safe in terms of snow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
3 valleys always good at Christmas - avoid at all costs NY
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

3 valleys always good at Christmas - avoid at all costs NY

Hmm. true of lots of places - that's why I wondered about a two centre holiday. Last Christmas/New Year, we found Les Saisies pretty crowded at New Year (though it doesn't compare with the 3 Valleys in that regard). But Praz sur Arly was much preferable - we either skied over there or drove down on several days and found the new fast 6 man chair to the top never had any queues, though the snow was fantastic. I wonder what Les Contamines would be like at New Year - we've never been there then.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep we are going for the two weeks

Had only let two resorts flit through my mind and then out again, how practical is it at that time of year?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Good reliable snow record at christmas time

Evidence?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, based on my own experience it does. Good early snowfall, as it gets different weather systems to the Northern Alps. Links have been open and the majority of the pistes for the last four Christmases.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Links have been open and the majority of the pistes for the last four Christmases.

Yes, Christmas has indeed been good pretty well throughout the Alps in recent years (and I have my fingers firmly crossed for this Christmas), but statistically it remains dodgy and I think it's important that anecdotal stories of the last few holidays don't get bruited around as though they were historically reliable. We always used to take our ski holidays very early in January (because it's cheap) and I've had many, many, anxious Christmases watching the old teletext snow reports (which were all we had in the olden days).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Had only let two resorts flit through my mind and then out again, how practical is it at that time of year?

Tollpepper, I can't see why it wouldn't be practical, especially if you are driving. I wouldn't aim for a long journey (Saturday 26th December could be a grim changeover day) but you could maybe ski for the day in your Christmas resort (it should be a nice quiet day as everyone will be on the road) and then have a short drive to your second resort in time for dinner.

Which resorts have you visited up to now?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, 8 year average ? http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/default.cfm/loaddoc.1847
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tollpepper, If you are not tied to the school holidays and can avoid the Xmas and New Year weeks you will have a much better and cheaper choice of accommodation (nearly half the price), flights will be much cheaper, the slopes will be far less crowded and you will will have a better chance of snow. The first 3 weeks in January are usually very quiet in the mountains and you can delay choosing your accommodation until the last minute when you have checked out the snow forecast.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Tollpepper, . We have gone away at this time of year for many years now. and have always found snow conditions OK. We've done Les Arcs, Serre Chevalier, Mottaret [great access to 3 valleys] and Flaine at this time of year. Expect stony conditions in places, and it does get busy whereever you are in the days up to and at New Year.

Serre Che can be wonderful at Christmas, and I can vouch that it does get good cover, especially if the weather systems come up from the South [though there was that infamous No Snow year about 10 years ago now]. Liked Mottaret and Les Arcs too. And Flaine. Heck, I'd go to any of them.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
oops double post.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 27-09-09 22:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Tollpepper, there have been some discussions on other threads about the very few places with accommodation still available for New Year - you probably need to try to find something pretty soon. Christmas is less busy.
snow report
We aren't tied to the holidays but don't want to be here hence Christmas/New Year, it does grieve me how much the prices go up for those two weeks tho' ; only problem I have is availability of kennels for my dogs.

Resorts previously visited - Sestriere, La Thuile, Val Thorens, Saalbach, Obertauern, Hochgurgl, Sauze D'Oulx, Val D'Isere, Borovets, Alpe D'Heuz (duffed up my knee there), Les Deux Alpes, Cervinia, Claviere. Liked most of them, loved a couple. We have done 3 at New Year the rest in March and generally have had good skiing, only one year on sheet ice which was painful.

Interesting that everyone is going for France and not others, what is Canada like or indeed the States at that time of year. Do appreciate that Austria by car could be problematic because of tyres.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy