Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

spring skiing: quiet resort for beginners?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

My family is new to skiing (one-week skiers). Last year we were in Val Thorens, and we are going to Courchevel 1850 this year.

For the next winter I am looking for the resort that is less crowded, because IMHO, the big resorts are too dangerous to ski with kids. Even the dedicated beginner's area in VT is used by the fast skiers, sometimes without a thought for other slope users.

I appreciate that some resorts like VT are not for the beginners, that fast skiing is not always dangerous for others, I am not complaining at all. Little Angel I am just looking for your suggestions of a quiet and safe resort to ski with a family.

Which resorts would be best for:

* "snow sure", but still warm enough in mid March
* wide nursery/easy runs, preferably dedicated to kids and totally separate from the main skiing area
* quiet slopes
* easy ski in/out

Any suggestions most gratefully received.

Many thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
z,

I think Passo Tonale is pretty good for beginners. Nice, long easy blue runs with fast chair lifts. Not too crowded. Good value, good snow 1900m - 3000m
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Rosiere and Puy St Vincent get good comments on here for families - we are trying the latter this year Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Tania Wink

If your in 1850 this year, head over to 1650, snow is normally better than 1850 and quieter!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mid March is not what I call spring skiing - that's more like April. In the last seven seasons mid March has been about the snowiest time in the northern French Alps. Have a look at Les Saisies. It ticks all your boxes and there are loads of apartments very near the slopes. It'll be very quiet. See lessaisies.com

The nursery areas are not totally dedicated (valmorel's are, I believe, though I don't know that resort) but you won't have any problems - it'll be very quiet.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
z, without a doubt Puy St Vincent, we went mid March this year, had a fantastic week, ticks all your boxes, superb resort for families with small kids. Very sunny resort too Very Happy Try www.snowbizz.co.uk only UK operator to go there, they are wonderful.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy wrote:
z,

I think Passo Tonale is pretty good for beginners. Nice, long easy blue runs with fast chair lifts. Not too crowded. Good value, good snow 1900m - 3000m

I liked Passo Tonale pretty much, especially for its off-piste potential at the Paradiso side (we had a pretty huge dump the day we arrived). However, I would never ski there with a beginner or with (beginning) kids. We skied out of curiosity for one day at the sunny side where all the beginner areas are. That was so much stress it was no fun. Absolutely overcrowded with people who seemed to have no clue. I would not recommend this area for beginners. It is just too crowded. (We were in the first week of March).

I would recommend a smallish resort. There is really no point in booking the big names when you are with kids or you are just starting out. You can't use the possibilities anyway though you have to pay the high price of the "big name".
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd recommend Montgenevre, it's definitely snow sure, the resorts at 1800. Most of the slopes are really wide and it's a beginners playground. The slopes are eerily quite and there seemed to be good beginners areas in the quieter area of the pistes. The only one it doesn't fit is ski in/ski out, although there is alot of accommodation within 20metres of the piste, so not too bad. More info here http://bit.ly/26ivQ2
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
z,

Le Grand Bornand may be an option for you. www.legrandbornand.com
It has been awarded the 'FamillePlus Montagne' by the French Tourist Board for its family friendly nature.
Only an hour from Geneva, the main skiing is at Chinaillon just above Le Grand Bornand with the added advantage that the home slopes in the afternoon are nice and sunny. Not sure about dedicated kids slopes although there is an 'espace debutantes' which is mainly for the children and the blue runs would suit you I think.

Loatie
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
z, Having a vested interest I would recommend Champagny. It ticks all the boxes for:
* "snow sure", but still warm enough in mid March
* wide nursery/easy runs, preferably dedicated to kids and totally separate from the main skiing area
* quiet slopes
Maybe not easy ski in/out but the gondola to the main skiing area at 2000 metres only takes 7 minutes.

Having only skied for 3 weeks you would only need to buy the Champagny lift pass as opposed to the La Plagne or Paradiski lift pass.
We have had two lots of friends with 1 or 2 weeks experience who went there at February half terms and loved it. Both families returned the following year and it looks like they will be going for years to come.

If you have a car in Courchevel 1850 you can visit this season as it is only 30 minutes drive. If not take a strong pair of binoculars as you can see it across the valley.

See www.champagny.com for more details
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all your suggestions.
All resorts mentioned have been googled Smile and carefully bookmarked Smile for future research (that I really enjoy doing).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Puy Saint Vincent is small and quiet - having been to larger resorts you may thing it too small in terms of piste miles. We have, however, had five or six fantastic family ski holidays there. So I would recommend it from a family perspective 100%.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnnyh, what is the best way to get to the resort (Puy Saint Vincent) independently (flight + transfer)?
Is it suitable for pre-Christmas or Christmas period?
Thank you.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Liz the new apts at Montgenevre are advertised as ski in/out, we are in there in March, basic package prices are really good, but believe food is quite expensive.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy