Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria It Just Doesn't Appeal To Me

Poster: A snowHead
abc, I would be quite worried mid March (especially the last two weeks of March) in any ski area where the skiing is from 1000 - 2000 meters unless I had first hand information that it has not started to melt from 1000 - 1300 meters and that it was not generally a slush fest, except of course in Austria wink because we all know the snow is more reliale on the lower altitude slopes there Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JT wrote:
my point was that IMV, foreign vehicles should pay to use our roads. When I go abroad I have to pay to use some roads in a tax...

No you don't, which is the point several others are making and which you keep ignoring. Nobody forces you to use toll roads. France and Germany for example (I have no real driving experience of Austria..) have perfectly alternative suitable road networks outside of motorways. If you use those roads you won't be charged, unlike the locals whose taxes pay for the maintenance.
On the toll roads, you get charged for wide roads, good surface, plenty of service and rest areas and flowing traffic (most of the time..). Here the motorway network (or what I have seen of it to be fair..) is not to that standard. It is usually bad traffic, worse road surface, a service area one in ablue moon... If I was charged to use it, I certainly would not bother...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

a service area one in ablue moon..

which is hideously crowded, noisy and generally truly objectionable and where you pay through the nose even to get your own money out of a cash machine. We enjoy quiet picnics under the trees at well-sited tables on the quiet "aires" which are never far away on the French autoroutes and where yours is one of a small handful of cars.

The difference is that French drivers who come to England have no choice - they either stay at Dover or have to use our congested roads. In France, you have a choice. You can use their generally rather good and uncongested "Routes Nationale" or you can pay to use the faster autoroutes. So who should feel hard done by?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If Austria doesn't appeal to you then don't go to Austria.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

If Austria doesn't appeal to you then don't go to Austria.

Tout a fais!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I used to be a complete France-Only skier/ boarder. i went to St Anton last year after years of people banging on about how wonderful it was. I coulddnt imagine it would be much different to Val or Merihell - HOW WRONG WAS I.

Austria is awesome. I love it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I suppose the thing is that it's so limiting to be prepared to ski in only one country, or in only a handful of resorts in one country (whatever the country) when there is so much variety and opportunity out there. Maybe some people are just naturally conservative and averse to change. And equally naturally people with different experiences want to share the pleasure they've had - just like the threads trying to persuade reluctant skiers to have a go. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, definitely. Whether country or resort level or even the chalet/hotel etc., if you've been back to a place you like, then somewhere else needs to be at least 25% better just to be equal. But when it comes down to decisions, i'm sure most will err on the side of caution and what they know and are familiar with.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Here the motorway network (or what I have seen of it to be fair..) is not to that standard. It is usually bad traffic, worse road surface, a service area one in ablue moon... If I was charged to use it, I certainly would not bother...

The M6 Toll avoids Birmingham. Enough said.

The limited motorway network north of Preston works fine (except the M8 thru Glasgow but that is a feat of human endeavour). M6 (in north Lancs & Cumbria), M74, M90 are usually OK, barring accidents.

There is even a good service area - Westmorland farms just north of jct 38 (Tebay) M6 - both directions.

A few other motorways work. M61 is good except at each end. The M58 & (esp) M50 are quiet. Apparently the M46 is really quiet but I have never needed to use it. Are there any others?

Service areas are about 20 miles apart up here - how often do you need one?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops wrote:
abc, I would be quite worried mid March (especially the last two weeks of March) in any ski area where the skiing is from 1000 - 2000 meters unless I had first hand information that it has not started to melt from 1000 - 1300 meters and that it was not generally a slush fest, except of course in Austria wink because we all know the snow is more reliale on the lower altitude slopes there Very Happy

I ski a lot in April.

Snow start melting isn't going to bother me. I actually got quite good at "corn harvesting". Soft, consistant snow that's just perfect for setting the edge on.

At EoSB, which is LATE APRIL, some SH were sleeping in because they believe the snow was too hard before 10am. I started out at lower elevation on east facing slopes and had a good time before others were up. And while a lot of SH were done skiing and started drinking, I continued on with the high elevation west facing slopes...

March is middle of the season as far as I'm concern. And even at 1000m, there's usually a lot of snow. Just can't wait till 1pm, when it does turn into slush...

But why am I telling everybody about it? I'd rather have the slope to myself while everyone else is heading over to the beach, to be honest.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy wrote:
But when it comes down to decisions, i'm sure most will err on the side of caution and what they know and are familiar with.

"most"? Puzzled And you're "sure" of that???

I beg to differ. But then, I'm not yet 60. So that might make a difference. Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
I suppose the thing is that it's so limiting to be prepared to ski in only one country, or in only a handful of resorts in one country (whatever the country) when there is so much variety and opportunity out there. Maybe some people are just naturally conservative and averse to change. And equally naturally people with different experiences want to share the pleasure they've had - just like the threads trying to persuade reluctant skiers to have a go. snowHead

I'm not averse to change, but I am very picky about where I go, well at least now I am. Look at this pic of Passo Tonale Easter 2007. This is the centre of resort and it had been like this for about 6 weeks previous, worse conditions they experienced in living memory by all accounts. BTW the resort is marketed as snow sure !!

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/9571/ppuser/989

Compare this to the same week in La Plagne the year before

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/9577/ppuser/989

And it was pretty much like this in La Plagne at the same time as I was in PT. BTW the big ugly guy on the left is Mois. Now why do I always end up going back to the same old mundane ski factories, cant tthink why Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

most will err on the side of caution and what they know and are familiar with.

that's not true of Snowheads, few of whom seem only to have visited one resort. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="what...snow"]
Quote:
M50 are quiet. Apparently the M46 is really quiet but I have never needed to use it.

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Dont think anyone else has either.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc, quiet, April is rubbish, no snow, everyone should go skiing at Half Term......
ski holidays
Abc, I was at the same EOSB as you and it was a good year for snow, but previous year I am told you could not ski to the hotel. Plus VT at 2200m is not really not in the 1000m - 2000m resort bracket. I was out every day at 8.30 and only shaded runs were hard and I recall a particular day when the skiers in my group opted to take the lift down at lower altitudes because the snow was so slushy.

I love spring skiing but I would not book now to stay at a French resort for any time after mid march with skiing limited to 1000 to 2000 m and my last week of the season trips have been to Saas Fee, St Anton, Chamonix, Val D and VT - bit of a theme that I doubt I will change Wink

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 30-09-09 9:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
abc, I agree about spring snow.
snow conditions
abc, agreed. No such thing as the wrong snow, just the wrong wax. Or technique. wink
snow report
rayscoops,
Quote:

I have tended to head for higher resorts (L2A, AdH, Saas Fee, Verbier, Arosa) or the equivalnet Austrian resort like Saalbach/Hinterglemm or St Anton.

Never been to Saalbach Hinterglemm but I don't think itis a high reosrt, skiing barely touches 2000m.

Actually I tend to agree with your basic premise that after mid march I like a bit of height if booking in advance though find North facing slopes more improtant than height. South facing slopes can become soft very quickly in March, no objection to sking them when the timing is right but when wrong I want a little more variety than ice and slush and that short interval of lovely snow.
ski holidays
T Bar, yes agreed about Hinterglemm and I was worried about that myself, but Austrian resorts from 1000 - 2000 m seem more like 1300 - 2300 m in comparison to other regions (main places I have been anyway), maybe the 'freeze' line is lower in Austria or it simply gets more snow, not sure, but I had previously not considered such resorts as Hinterglemm due to the low relative altitude, but I would have a bit more confidence going somewhere like that after a trip in early March last year. I have not put this theory to the test in April though wink Actually I look for resorts in a valley (Hinterglemm) that have both south and north facing slopes; the good thing about St Anton for example is that you can start at Gampen (south facing if I am getting this correct), head to Galzig which next gets the sun but is all chopped up by 11 am(ish) and then head over to the north facing Rendl which holds up nicely for the rest of the day, and still ski back to the resort at 1300 m although it is quite choppy by late afternoon snowHead and a somewhat interesting battle down the narrowy twisty turny piste Laughing

Alternatively I sit tight and wait for the spring snow and book a trip at a few days notice, and in those circumstance I would certainly head to places like Morzine or Notre Dame de Bellecombe. The year before last I went to Chamonix in April and was boarding side of piste knee deep powder that did not get skiied out all day Very Happy but there were cows chomping on the grass from 1500 m down Shocked but it did not matter because the skiing was from 2300 m down superb !! Very Happy
ski holidays
rayscoops, N D de B and the rest of the Arly Valley probably have too many draglifts (one or two of them fairly ferocious) for comfortable riding on a snowboard.
snow report
pam w, i would just avoid them or knuckle down wink and face the pain. It does look like the type of resort I would enjoy because I prefer 'mountain hopping' and doing a circuit rather than heading up to 3500m and riding down to 1500 (repeat and rinse) again and again Very Happy
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
Abc, I was at the same EOSB as you and it was a good year for snow, but previous year I am told you could not ski to the hotel. Plus VT at 2200m is not really not in the 1000m - 2000m resort bracket.

Except EoSB isn't in middle of March either.

But like I said, I wouldn't be too sad that everyone head to the beach right after half term so I can have all of those "low altitude" and "non-snow sure" mountains to myself all of March! Smile
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
T Bar, yes agreed about Hinterglemm and I was worried about that myself, but Austrian resorts from 1000 - 2000 m seem more like 1300 - 2300 m in comparison to other regions (main places I have been anyway),

That is pretty well exactly what was suggested to me last year - add 300m to the Austrian height to get an equivalent French/Swiss height.

Quote:

maybe the 'freeze' line is lower in Austria or it simply gets more snow, not sure,

I think it is a combination of factors. Austria is a little further West, so does get more snow for the altitude, since that means the prevailing winds hit Austria first. But also, the skiing tends to be more over meadows than over rocks, which means thinner coverage is needed for the same level of skiability.
latest report
alex_heney,
Quote:

Austria is a little further West, so does get more snow for the altitude, since that means the prevailing winds hit Austria first

Er its further East. wink

Further away from the Atlantic and its warming efect.
latest report
Having experienced both many times including this year Chamonix and L2A in France and Saalbach and Zell am See in Austria it would be a close call. However you get much nicer accomodation in Austria at a better price than the rubbish apartments that litter French resorts. It's hard to beat the mountain charm of Austria and we were on the snow or beside the lifts in Austria but had to bus it in Chamonix. Food and drink prices more reasonable in Austria. Skiing was challenging and varied in all 4 resorts IMO.
snow conditions
Quote:

i would just avoid them or knuckle down

you'd cut out too much good territory if you avoided them, rayscoops
snow conditions
Damn Pam W, you build it up for me then take it away Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
March is middle of the season as far as I'm concern. And even at 1000m, there's usually a lot of snow. Just can't wait till 1pm, when it does turn into slush...But why am I telling everybody about it? I'd rather have the slope to myself while everyone else is heading over to the beach, to be honest.

abc wrote:
rayscoops wrote:
Abc, I was at the same EOSB as you and it was a good year for snow, but previous year I am told you could not ski to the hotel. Plus VT at 2200m is not really not in the 1000m - 2000m resort bracket.
Except EoSB isn't in middle of March either. But like I said, I wouldn't be too sad that everyone head to the beach right after half term so I can have all of those "low altitude" and "non-snow sure" mountains to myself all of March! Smile

proper skiers do not head to the beach after half term, they head to resorts from from 1500 m up or pop to Austria wink ........ ok so we have a deal, you can have the slush at 1000m and I can have the nice soft pistes and pow from 1500 m up wink
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
[ok so we have a deal, you can have the slush at 1000m and I can have the nice soft pistes and pow from 1500 m up wink

I have no problem heading to low elavation resorts in mid-March, especially regions that have history of cold, dry snow, typically away from the ocean.

When the storm comes in, which there's usually many especially in March, the trees in the low resorts are a treat to ski. I much prefer it than inching my way down a treeless high alpine slope!
ski holidays
abc wrote:
rayscoops wrote:
[ok so we have a deal, you can have the slush at 1000m and I can have the nice soft pistes and pow from 1500 m up wink
I have no problem heading to low elavation resorts in mid-March, especially regions that have history of cold, dry snow, typically away from the ocean. When the storm comes in, which there's usually many especially in March, the trees in the low resorts are a treat to ski. I much prefer it than inching my way down a treeless high alpine slope!

are you taking about North America or Europe Puzzled loads of trees around 1500 meters wink
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
abc wrote:
rayscoops wrote:
I have no problem heading to low elavation resorts in mid-March, especially regions that have history of cold, dry snow, typically away from the ocean. When the storm comes in, which there's usually many especially in March, the trees in the low resorts are a treat to ski. I much prefer it than inching my way down a treeless high alpine slope!

are you taking about North America or Europe Puzzled loads of trees around 1500 meters wink

Both.

In North America, the treelines goes to 2500m!
snow conditions
abc,
Quote:

When the storm comes in, which there's usually many especially in March, the trees in the low resorts are a treat to ski. I much prefer it than inching my way down a treeless high alpine slope!

I've probably had more blisteringly hot sunny days that stormy days in March where the snow low donwn has been La Soupe. QUite like a combination of high and low skiing to cover both eventualities especially if I m booking well in advance.
ski holidays
at least we talking about snow, where is best, where is not Very Happy
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
at least we talking about snow, where is best, where is not Very Happy

But can you tell me which tyres are best for spring snow and what is legally required in each country???.....................................I'll just get my coat Confused Little Angel rolling eyes
latest report
robboj, aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Crying or Very sad
latest report
T Bar wrote:
QUite like a combination of high and low skiing to cover both eventualities especially if I m booking well in advance.

That's very much my point. It's not so much the sheer size of the resort, nor the elevation of the highest lift, it's the variety of available slopes that defines a "GOOD" resort for me.

A resort that has slopes facing different aspect and spans above and below treeline, are much more pleasent to ski than a high "snow sure" glacier, for example.

Everyone wants powder, or at least fresh snow. But when it's actually snowing, it can get really unpleasent to be stuck with wind blasted icicles on your face and nowhere to hide.
snow report
Right then, I have been wondering about this idea that Austrian resorts are effectively higher than the equivalent Freanch resorts, so I have just checked freeze levels of Notre Dame de Bellecombe (Fr 1000 - 2000m) and Saalbach (Austria 1000 - 2000m) for the month of March 2008 and this is the result. Basically Saalbach/Hinterglemm is colder on all accounts.

NDdB average afternoon freeze level is 1700m
Saalb average afternoon freeze level is 1300m

It was colder in Saalbach on 22 days of the month, and colder in NDdB on 8 days, one day it was the same temperature

The freeze line was 2000m and above on 10 occassions at NDdB
The freeze line was 2000m and above on 3 occassions at Saalbach

The freeze line was 1000m and below on 4 occassions at NDdB
The freeze line was 1000m and below on 7 occassions at Saalbach

The freeze line was 1500m and below on 10 occassions at NDdB
The freeze line was 1500m and below on 21 occassions at Saalbach
ski holidays
Hope its very practical as I'm doing it with my family from Liverpool to Obertauern. Overnights in Ashford (getting to the Kent coast is always the worst bit), and Munich. Setting off on Thursday 5pm, Munich Friday Pm, Slopes Obertauern 10am Saturday! Just give yourself time and allow for 1 hour delay in every 5 planned, and generally its a great way to start as I hate Airports even more than flying.

I have driven a number of times to the French Alps and Obertauern is only a couple of hours further.
Doh! Edit - above refers to Andy last post on page 2 -- keep up!
ski holidays
With regard to Ray and going way back to Geography A level, anything furhter into the continent will be colder in Winter and Hotter in Summer, all other things being equal as an example of a continental climate, wouldn't it?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy