Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance for family doing the season - help please

Poster: A snowHead
OK having made the decision and put the plan together for spending the entire winter in our french home we now have to execute things. First task is insurance for the trip. Having ditched the insurance the useless bank offers as part of my banking deal have started initial research.

My first few searches and enquiries have left me gobsmacked at the cost.

We are a family of 3 which includes a then to be 3 year old. Spending Dec to end April in France and a three week trip to Canada in the middle.

I have been quoted £724 from one company and £400 from another.

Can anyone help here with recommendations or where to look? Please don't suggest Dogtag as they came up over £700
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mouth, can you arrange it for three single trips instead?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Mouth, can you arrange it for three single trips instead?

Not investigated but trouble is anything over 31 days is difficult to get as there are maximum limits on most single trips. We would need at least 2 singles more than 31 days. Just seems a lot of effort and pfaffing. Will look though thanks for suggestion.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mouth, Direct Travel will do single trips of longer than 31 days. Might still work out costly though. Someone on here was organising it, I'll se if I can find the link.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1308383&highlight=seasonnaires#1308383

It might also be worth dropping a PM to Annie, she did a season with her son last year, and I have a feeeling she popped back and forwards to the Uk too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks Helen
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mouth, oh and I'm sooooooo Jealous !!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mouth, Have you tried SCGB? Our winter season is always chopped in two by the French holidays, when we come home. But if we wanted to stay the trip length limit would be difficult. Our policy through the SCGB covers up to 60 day trips. It also covers unlimited skiing. A lot of companies who cover longer trips (eg Direct Line) have much more limited number of ski days. I looked a long time before finding ours. Our premium this current year is £161 though you also have to add the Club membership. This is the second year we've had this policy and I renewed it before the membership ran out - we're not actually members at the moment so I've had two years cover for one year's membership, but I guess I'll have to join again before we can renew the policy. The details currently on the website only seem to indicate 31 day trip limits, but you can arrange for extended trips. I've checked our documents and it's definitely 60 days. But it's only Europe - extending to Canada would no doubt add a fair bit.

Another possibility is talking to P J Hayman, who administer the Ski Club policies. We insured directly with them initially, because their own product was better than the Club one at the time (I think it was something to do with cover for pre-existing medical conditions). But that advantage subsequently fell away, and the Club one worked out better. But P J Hayman might be able to do a tailor made package - they were good to deal with.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I did mine with www.skiinsurance.co.uk I can't recall the preium but I'm certain it was less than this. We made two claims succesfully that were well dealt with. I'd say it could be money well spent even at £700 to know you have quality, no questions insurance. I know you ski a lot but honestly every week taking mates back to the airport we saw, casts, wheelchairs and slings. Even in the bars we met seasonairres who had just slipped on the pavement and busted something.

Out of interest what are you doing about schools ??
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Thanks I will check out the SCGB option - great. Not a member but could be worthwhile joining.

Frosty, Emerson turns 3 in December so not at school age yet hence our decision to do this sooner rather than later
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mouth, have you considered tgic? they do a wintersports policy, with options for extending the period of the trips. check here for details.

it comes highly recommended on the other forum i frequent, and looks interesting enough for me to consider it when i get more expensive kit worth more than the "single item" limit on my current insurance policy.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mouth, trying ringing Karen at AGF in Chamonix (let me know ifyou need the number) we have annual "sports" insurance for the whole family.. but might not be appropriate as it's dovetails into our carte vitales and mutual cover......... but then if you've got a French residence it might tie in with the e111s or whatever they're called...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mouth wrote:
pam w, Thanks I will check out the SCGB option - great. Not a member but could be worthwhile joining.

No Point - Skiclub has stopped doing seasonal insurance for 09/10 season.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
EHIC & Carte Neige for France with standard holiday insurance for Canada?
latest report
Mouth,

I will PM you with my details - and we will talk to our insurancepanel for you - its a little out the norm we deal with, but I will talk to them tomorrow to see what we can come up with - will just need a few details though through PM

Very jealous though!
snow conditions
Quote:

Skiclub has stopped doing seasonal insurance for 09/10 season.

? my policy is an annual one, with unlimited skiing and 60 day trip limit (an optional extra). The annual policies are still on their website - maybe it's just the "seasonal" one which has stopped (which was limited anyway because trips back to UK were not allowed, IIRC).
ski holidays
i use http://www.atlasdirect.net/travel-insurance.asp for my season insurance - usually very cheap
latest report
Mouth, To save you the bother of a PM Little Angel We used BMC. Their online quote for 2 adults and 1 child is £461 on their annual policy worldwide with trips not exceeding 93 days or £341 for europe. ( I'm guessing it might be cheaper to arrange a seperate 'holiday' insurance for the Canada trip assuming that doesn't throw up validity issues. In both cases you'd have to join the BMC which I remember being around £50 for all of us - but don't quote me.

We chose them in the end over other (cheaper, but not substantially) options because there didn't seem to be too much in the way of exclusions buried in the small print like James race training, racing and skiing off piste without an adult, the latter which was a particular favourite with many of their competitiors (possibly none of which are an issue for mouth junior I grant you) and we didn't have to specify what dates I'd be back in the UK which someone else wanted. No claims, thank God so can't vouch for their 'after sales' service.

Hope that helps............and I'm STILL green with jealousy!
latest report
snowsteve, which policy do you use? I'm always on the lookout for alternatives, but although their annual one offers up to 60 days trips it doesn't seem to include more than 17 days winter sports.
ski holidays
pam w, I will keep an eye on this thread and the replies. Like you we use SCGB and extend the ski cover for 60 days which sorts us out as we return to the UK for February but its always useful to see what everyone else has found and recommends.
ski holidays
Thanks guys and update... I have been in contact with SCGB and they have quoted £360 for what we need but we would need to join. This enables us to ski all season and it is an annual travel policy. I am speaking to a snowHead tomorrow who will also quote me.

Annie, I looked at BMC and yes got that quote but again we would need to join. We just ned basic coverage as Mouth junior not into races yet... well I sincerely hope not. Toofy Grin
snow report
Ok we have a result and conclusion to this. I have got an annual policy which allows us to ski all season and for the length of our trip and includes off piste for £278.

This has been achieved with the help of Skimark who runs www.moneymaxim.co.uk. I can highly recommend his company. Very knowledgeble and professional and tremendously helpful. Given us all sorts of other things to consider whilst we are away in terms of other insurances etc.

The policy he came up with is just ideal for our specific needs and cheaper than SCGB and BMC.

One happy snowHead
snow report
Mouth, excellent, and one for me to bookmark for the future
snow report
Mouth, well done. Will have a look at them. Off-piste with no guide?
snow report
http://www.rega.ch/en/start_en.aspx

This might help, only for CH though.
ski holidays
If anyone else is in a similar situation it may be worth having a chat with the folks at http://www.mpibrokers.com/ . They do all of our staff insurance (5 months +) and have another wing that does Gap Year insurance. And no, I'm not on commision!
snow report
Mouth, ctskifam, I have just gone through the process of looking all this up on www.moneymaxim - helpful chap rang yesterday and spoke to my husband - quote has come through now and we just need to look through all the small print and compare with SCGB. Will report back final decision.

We did look at mpibrokers a couple of years ago but their quotation was absolutely huge - and we scuttled off and happily used the SCGB annual insurance. OH did say that he thought we should go back to them again as the difference was so great that he is sure 'the girl in the office' had got something wrong. Good people though, and they do provide some sponsorship for the Ladies Ski Club and schoolgirl racing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pamski, That is great and am sure that www.moneymaxim. will beat the SCGB price. I think the insurance we are settling for is with Amex and wouldn be interested to see how the small print compares as you say. Do post your final decision..
latest report
Quote:

Do post your final decision

Yes, this is good stuff.
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
EHIC & Carte Neige for France with standard holiday insurance for Canada?

I agree - do check out the French Carte Neige - their cover is pretty good and covers off piste. That is what the French saisonnaires have and at around 120 euros for a family for the season not bad value.

See this discussion last year - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35118
snow conditions
Mouth, pam w, ctskifam, we seem to have the figures together now and it looks like we will be staying with SCGB.

SCGB comes out at £209.42 which is for Annual (Executive) European cover - with multi trips of 60 days.
American Express - through moneymaxim.com - £253.84 - European cover again
and we have finally just had a call back from mpibrokers - £1500 for the year- European cover with no time restriction.

I stand to be corrected now by other people as it is all so interesting and we don't need to renew till the middle of December.

We have already paid the sub to SCGB but that would be in addition to the £209.

There was a discount on the Amex quote of £19.95 as we have the EHIC cards - and I had ticked the box for an additional £7.13 for excess waiver which seemed a good idea.

The Amex Medical Emergency and Repatriation is £15 million as opposed to SCGB which is £10 million, but the personal liability is the same for both £2 million.

We asked for European cover for the lengthy trips from all these people. Although we do go to the States (son there) we have cover through a policy that comes with a bank account and that is for 30 days worldwide with 17 days skiing so that would seem to cover those trips.

And we always buy the French Carte Neige when we get our season passes.
snow report
I have a RBS royalties gold account and it covers all sorts of things (mobiles etc).

It also covers ski trips for the family. We have also claimed on this when my wife's gran died and we had to cancel a holiday. They paid back (in very quick time) £1200 with no quibble at all.

The PDF says.
• 5 star travel insurance – worldwide multi-trip family travel insurance, including ski trips, for you, your spouse or partner and any children up to the age of 18, if unmarried, in full time education and living permanently with you. The policy can be used as often as you like (please refer to the full terms and conditions contained in the travel insurance policy document) (rated 5* by Defaqto, Feb 0Cool
Anyone know if any more ski cover is required?

PS I dont work for RBS.

Cherrs
Bob
snow report
glasgowcyclops, we have that but - off the top of my head - I think it does limit you to a certain number of ski days per year (less than three weeks worth of skiing days).

We used it to get our boiler mended for free and quicker than a private company - cool!
ski holidays
Actually should have been £1800
Just in case anyone thought I was being a cheapskate. Happy

cheers
bob
latest report
Hi Shimmy

I go Skiing over at my sisters in Norway and only about 3 times anyway. Of course they don't know if any of the other times are sking until I fall. Happy

Only joking RBS in case youe reading this Happy

Go to go all......

Train tunnel coming.

ATB
Bob
latest report
glasgowcyclops, Laughing Laughing

We have discussed that - just dont use your RBS debit/credit card while in the ski resorts Laughing
ski holidays
we looked at the Amex policy through moneymaxim and it looked very good - given that i would not be joining SCGB other than for the insurance. It included useful cover for problems cropping up in your house at home, when you are away - for example a plumbing emergency. Would have been very helpful when the roof blew off our house when we were in La Plagne one time.

Our SCGB policy runs until mid December but we will probably take the Amex one, through moneymaxim (as they found it for us, so they get the commission), when it's renewed. We will also take carré neige. or carte neige - can never remember which is which.
latest report
@ shimmy

Good one. better watch out since I'm getting cocky on the slopes mow instead of terrified Happy Bound to hurt myself soon Happy

Cheers
Bob
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy