Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fancy seeing what it's like to be IN an avalanche?

Poster: A snowHead
The same video but with Avalung branding has been mentioned a number of times before:

http://youtube.com/v/6C2eWRvZgKU

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1317783
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1140918
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=47666
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dulcamara wrote:
hmm, I have the Grivel steel blade (plastic) shovel, think the guy in the shop convinced me using some sort of mind control... since then i've seen a lot of good reviews and some awards as well. But still not completely convinced! was i duped???

Can't say as I can't quite recall that model... but I would hazard that some light gauge metal ones aren't worth it..you'd be better off keeping a plastic one.. they can both bounce off sh*tty snow and that is the problem for them..but to have one crumple, is a double no-no..IMO.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT,

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Grivel_Steel_Blade_Shovel/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=directory&utm_content=GBR&currency=GBP&country=GBR

it's this one
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
seeing as these things don't change from year to year as every other product seems to, might be worthwhile if someone in the know did a shovel, probe, transceiver etc sticky in the gear section??
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stoatsbrother wrote:
D G Orf, except that there is no evidence that they have ever worked. Surely you remember?

Let's not do that one again. rolling eyes

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/15593
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dulcamara,

It looks pretty well thought out to me.... but this is my new improved acid test,

Are you going to dig or scrape with it...?
if the snow is heavy or old enough then you will probably have to dig..and you may need to get a foot on it in chopped up manky snow...
So I would want a decent shoulder on one to be able to do this. Whether this is that important when digging in avi debri, I am not too sure...so I will make a point or trying it next time out, but I can recall that even when digging out the path to our chalet in fresh snow, you soon saw the limitations on some models..
Weak, small, light and flimsy....so I ended up doing most of it with my shovel http://en.ortovox.com/safety_products/shovels/expert.html which I wonder if that was the idea..Laughing

As Arno said... get the best kit and them swap it around so they can rescue you with it.. wink

Another thing I noticed...once this thing started rolling..was how decent was the shaft and blade? It isn't much use having the smallest lightest, most compact if it shifts nothing and then breaks anyway...
I found digging quite tiring so at least I would get the maximum amount moved I could in the least amount of time...
That is my thinking...... and I also wouldn't buy one without seeing it in the flesh... so I could apply all this thinking when shopping.

FWIW..I went to numerous shops in numerous famous ski towns before I bought mine..

P.S..I hope I never ever have to use it in anger...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
papasmurf, Actually beeps do change - witness the Pulse, which is easier to use when confronted with a multiple burial than my Tracker. Reading this thread has highlighted that shovels change, too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A metal shovel should be kept 'relatively' sharp too. Nothing 'ninja' is required, but running a rough file over the edge while prepping the rest of your kit helps massively when you're digging down through 3-4 metres of tree/ice/rock/and god only knows what else.

Metal rather than plastic any day imho.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, shhh... you will lure back he who must not be named.... wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, Mine.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fr0sty wrote:
A metal shovel should be kept 'relatively' sharp too. Nothing 'ninja' is required, but running a rough file over the edge while prepping the rest of your kit helps massively when you're digging down through 3-4 metres of tree/ice/rock/and god only knows what else......

Is the victim going to be alive with that lot on top? Genuine question - I suspect not, but accept I could be wrong. Perhaps davidof has some knowledge?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles, My view is that a shovel like that is better than some of the light gauge metal shovels so I wouldn't change it for anything less than say this

http://en.ortovox.com/safety_products/shovels/professional_alu_ii.html

It is 700g or so, tho.. Mine is 1100 Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At the risk of reawakening the goldsmith, I'm inclined to agree with DG Orf that a avy cord could potentially be a useful indicator as a locator for the start of a primary phase transceiver search, not unlike any skier related debris. Does this seem to be enough to make it recommended practice by today's avy professionals? - nope.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, have you read the article davidof linked to? One bloke was in a shallow burial - but with the cord spooled around him, he could not get himself out.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles, the answer is simply maybe and maybe not. However, if you're the chap on top of the flow watching your mate get buried, would you stop to make that call ? - or would you dig like f*ck because they might be buried under it and still be alive ?

I know which I would do, and you need the right tool to dig.

I've practised with weak plastic shovels and found that the neck snaps under the weight, the face of the blade snaps under the pressure, the handle detaches - all sorts. They become more of a hindrance than a help, and that's something you dont need when you're running out of time.

Out of all the non-metal ones I've tried, the one I found most resistant to the pressures was that flexi-bear claw thing - (looks like a curved frisbee disc or something). However, it was difficult to use compared to a shovel, especially when going deeper than a few feet.

Admittedly these were relatively 'cheap' non-metal substitutes, and modern poly-blends might be stronger. I can only speak from tests which I've done, and quite honestly the plastic models I tried weren't the high-end of the scale I suspect. Sad
snow report
fatbob, not sure if you saw the magnificent thread on that topic on the SCGB forum a few years back in which DG posted over 100 posts - and then the book he gave as evidence that they might be useful was shown to have been corrected in a subsequent edition to say there was no evidence of benefit at all. The occaisional anecdote isn't much use. Surely if we were going to encourage anything - rather than red string - it would be learning to organise searches better and to practice "strategic shovelling" ?
ski holidays
achilles wrote:

Is the victim going to be alive with that lot on top? Genuine question - I suspect not, but accept I could be wrong. Perhaps davidof has some knowledge?

The problem with statistics is that they focus on death and serious injuries where the external rescue services were involved rather than the guy buried under 2 meters of snow who was dug out with nary a scratch and then skied off.

If we assume the latter is comparatively rare then the statistics suggest that most people buried more than 100cm are toast. Just to remind you, the survival rate of a beacon wearer under LESS THAN 100cm of snow is around 60-50% and this drops to more like 20-10% over that depth. Remember that 50% figure next time you head for that nice powder with the comfort that you have a beacon in your pocket if the worst happens.

Why is that?

Well some will be killed by the slide or very shortly afterwards by the weight of snow. However locating someone under 100cm of snow is hard as is digging someone out. It all takes time. Obviously a trained group, who can shovel intelligently, and who are using a beacon that is accurate at deeper burials, will cut into this time.

Shovels, metal or plastic?

I wouldn't get too hung up on this. I have a metal shovel but my old Ortovox plastic shovel seemed up to the job (like the one in the video). Digging old avalanche debris is not a great guide, the snow in a fresh slide will be very compact but not something a real shovel, plastic or metal, should have major trouble with.

If you are looking to buy, go metal, with the longest arm you can manage.

The idea of swapping beacons is lame. What matters most is that the searcher can use and knows the beacon they are searching with. Just shoving a Pulse or whatnot into someone's paw with a couple of minutes explanation is a bad idea.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy