Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Leisuredome - UK's longest indoor slope to be built in South West

Poster: A snowHead
I'm North Bristol... 10 mins off of the Bath junction of the M4.

For me, it's easy to drive East along the M4. Whenever i drive West along the M4, I invariably hit traffic at Cribbs or Avonmouth. During the summer holiday months that stretch can be horrendous.

I used to Ski at Gloucester, Churchill and Pontypool...many moons ago.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

A related question that I've been wondering about is the impact a project like this would have on the local dry slopes, closest is the Avon slope (Churchill) which I suspect is sadly the most likely casualty. To the south, and I think probably slightly closer than Gloucester is Yeovil Alpine Village, I don't know the slope so can't really comment apart from to say it looks pretty small. There are a few others too but they're slightly further away. As for Gloucester I think it may survive (given some investment and a strategy for maintaining a market share) but I suspect some of the local ski clubs might be tempted to move to the dome for training which might affect the slope but I guess time will tell!

Roga its almost a given that the novelty factor of a 'new' fridge pulls many slope users away from their usual facility. In the case of Ski Rossendale the opening of ChillF tipped a poorly run facility over the edge. Some years on we have a situation where Ski Rossendale is now closed, ChillF is not very busy and is churning out special offers, the latest is 2 hours for under £12 for members, £17 for others. I dont know if this is sustainable, but i do know that many skiers and boarders are now regretting the closure of an outdoor facility. The recession is certainly hitting hard in this area of spend.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Roga its almost a given that the novelty factor of a 'new' fridge pulls many slope users away from their usual facility. In the case of Ski Rossendale the opening of ChillF tipped a poorly run facility over the edge. Some years on we have a situation where Ski Rossendale is now closed, ChillF is not very busy and is churning out special offers, the latest is 2 hours for under £12 for members, £17 for others. I dont know if this is sustainable, but i do know that many skiers and boarders are now regretting the closure of an outdoor facility. The recession is certainly hitting hard in this area of spend.

Interesting reality check Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sunnbuel, I have been at CFe today and last Saturday and it looked fairly busy to me.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sunnbuel, The multiple speciial offers have a lot to do with the new CEO formerly of Alton Towers who is using a well tested format of filling the facility with lots of cheaper use rather than a few more expensive sessions. Her track record is fairly good and It her 'style' of leisure management.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kevindonkleywood, you are correct about ceo, i posted to that effect on another thread when she was appointed. However, i do know quite a few of the staff and they say things are quiet - instructors are not getting much business. rjs, you would expect saturday and sunday to be the busy times.

CEO is going for footfall and hoping for spend on retail and catering. rjs, despite the great offers CFe is deffo not as busy as it used to be.

The main point i am making is that Roga is spot on in saying existing facilities will suffer/close if a fridge opens in west country.

Got to be careful what you wish for Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Got to be careful what you wish for

So true, but just having negotiated some great full day deals for various groups Im a great fan of the discounts Very Happy but equaly i like a quiet slope.....just so fickle
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kevindonkleywood, Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The full detailed planning application for the Leisuredome is now in and can be seen online here, you can feed back on the proposals (hopefully showing support) by using the "Comment On Application" link at the top of the Case file page.

All comments so far are positive and comments from anywhere I'd guess are helpful but there are few local comments so I'm sure it'd help if anyone in the WSM council area made some positive comments too. I'm in Bristol but will add my comments too - I'd say the more support the better! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
roga, Thanks for the links, I'll add my comments in due course and tell other skiers I know in S. Glos.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
us local yokels Laughing are using more direct ways to comment.. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^ lol, ooh arrr send in the carrier pigeons Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One local objection now in: http://wam.n-somerset.gov.uk/MULTIWAM/doc/Online%20Comment-1987719.txt?extension=.txt&id=1987719&location=Volume4&contentType=text/html&pageCount=1

Might be an idea for some locals to lodge support fopr the project to counterbalance this kinda stuff!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Objections on the North Somerset planning website (all local, some of whom clearly haven't read the transport proposals) now stand at 5 whereas support is at 7 - a few more objections and they'll outweigh the support!

Can I underline that if you want this project to go ahead now is the time to support it!

Latest from the Leisuredome guys:
Quote:
Just to update you on the latest situation regarding the Leisuredome project.

The planning application was submitted on 25th May 2011, we are expecting a decision within three months.

We could do with all the support we can get to help Leisuredome through the planning process. If you are a fan of the project and would like to see the Leisuredome come to fruition please log on to the North Somerset Planning website, address below;

http://wam.n-somerset.gov.uk/MULTIWAM/findCaseFile.do;jsessionid=ED4D4227B9D3E916CD9D8C140072AA5B?appNumber=11%2FP%2F0923%2FF&appType=planning

Please register your support
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
roga, I've now commented (in favour of course snowHead ). Let's hope it goes ahead.
latest report
I'm not sure that letters of support/objection make any real difference at planning level in the relatively small numbers we're talking about here. What will make a difference is canvassing the local councilors and those who sit on the planning committee. If you live locally get hold of your local councilor and talk to them about jobs, commerce urban regeneration, youth opportunity etc etc etc. Cool
latest report
billb, nice one Very Happy

rogg, I guess you could be right but I suspect too high a proportion of objections might tip the balance in the case of councillors and others in positions to affect the decision if they are undecided on the matter, certainly there's been a spate of objections these last few days so there's either co-ordination or people there's a snowball effect. To counter that I'd say the more positives the better, especially if they're mentioning issues like jobs, commerce urban regeneration, youth opportunity etc.
snow conditions
not sure about any weight the objections have, recently a local pub was demolished to provide affordable housing, the village its in, Congresbury isnt very large at all and there were some 1400 objections to a tesco express being built on this land, the planning still went ahead anyway!! why is this relevant, involves the same councillors!! Cool
snow conditions
Thank God it's not Bristol City Council... Merchant Venturer's anyone? rolling eyes
snow report
roga, the support seems to be increasing I have just been on there site Very Happy Very Happy I will use a little marketing as well, we have a huge follow in the Bristol area Toofy Grin
snow conditions
iskar, yeah the Tesco story sounds familiar actually Sad

spud, have to agree!

livetoski, yes there's been a sudden influx of support today which is good to see and some locals showing support too - a bit of marketing sounds good, nice one Very Happy
ski holidays
roga, Supporting comment submitted.
latest report
Support given. I would be driving up most weekends for this.
snow conditions
Good news, the planning committee report is now posted on the North Somerset website and is recommending approval of the application subject to certain provisions. You can read the whole report here

There is also a notice on the website of a committee meeting, which I presume is a consultation exercise prior to a final decision.
Quote:
NOTICE OF COMMITTEE MEETING
FOR 11/P/0923/F2

The above application is to be considered by the South Area Committee on 21 July 2011. The meeting commences at 6.00pm and it will be held at the Town Hall, Weston-super-Mare. The room number will be displayed in the temporary Town Hall reception area on the day of the meeting.

The committee report will be available for inspection at the Somerset House reception five working days prior to the meeting and on our website at www.n-somerset.gov.uk.

Objectors to, and supporters of, planning applications may address the committee. The number of speakers and the time permitted for speaking is limited. We have prepared a guide to explain the procedure for speaking at planning committees which can be found on our website at www.n-somerset.gov.uk/Environment/planning/planningcommittees. Please note that requests to speak at committee must be received in writing by noon the day prior to the committee meeting.

Hopefully this'll be a formality and won't delay final approval!
ski holidays
roga, formalities do not exist with planning approvals.
snow report
the south area planning commitee meets next thursday, its very likely (cant say more Smile ) that it will be approved, due to the fact that it doesnt fit in with the overall govt strategy on open psace build it will have to be refered to the Secretary of State for final approval. Section 106 agreement shouldnt be too excessive, and NSomerset are currently touting improvements to Junction 21 (going ahead with or without central funds)which all fits in nicely. Razz
Im going to go along to the meeting, see how it all pans out.
snow report
iskar, good stuff, do let us know how the meeting goes.

Any idea how long a referral to the Secretary of State is likely to take and can the objectors appeal any decision to give the go ahead?
latest report
You could have a read here. I thought there was an automatic right for a third party to appeal a decision, but reading this it doesn't seem to be the case. (has this changed in the last ten or twelve years?) fingers crossed. snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rogg, interesting and yes I thought any third party could appeal but it seems not if I'm reading that page right, they do mention new rules since April 2009 so perhaps it's changed. All the same I was under the impression the Snoasis proposal was in appeal hell for years but perhaps that's on the basis of all those rare newts in the quarry they want to use! Let's hope they don't find any rare wildlife at Locking eh!
ski holidays
I wonder how the Secretary of State will view this scheme in so far as to whether it fits in with UK policy for cutting greenhouse gas emissions ?
snow report
rayscoops, he's a politician ... need I say much more!

600 Jobs in a Tory constituency beset by employment and economic problems or a marginal rise in emissions offset (at least in paper stats, and we all know about them) by a cut in people travelling much further to get to similar facilities and any other 'facts' they can lay their hands on ... hmmmm!
latest report
slam dunk, get in there!!!! full planning given, totally unanimous!! no objections at the meeting, yehah!! Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
snow report
iskar, excellent!
snow conditions
Yeeha, nice one! snowHead

Thanks for confirming they got the go ahead - was there much discussion or did it just go straight through?
ski holidays
great news. Makes the prospect of the odd business trip to WSM more bearable!
snow report
iskar, Great news, thanks.
snow conditions
Mmm, wonder how long it would take me to drive to WSM...?
snow conditions
rob@rar, and what's wrong with Hemel? Wink
ski holidays
roga, thinking it would be nice to ski both Happy
snow conditions
rob@rar, I think we'll allow that Wink Razz

But seriously ... IIRC it usually takes me just short of a couple of hours to get over to Hemel so if around that area is your starting point I'd guess that'd be a ball park time.

It's a long time off but when/if you visit let me know Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy