Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Leisuredome - UK's longest indoor slope to be built in South West

Poster: A snowHead
roga, TomTom says 2 hours 10 minutes from home to central WSM for me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, that sounds about right WSM is around 20/25 minutes from me.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's only about an hour from Cardiff - should help me in my plan to get my brother and nephew skiing so they can discover the true faith! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sloop, You've forgotten the get-into-Wales fee to pay on the return journey. Or maybe you have your own helicopter?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
no objections, no public address, nothing at all, quite boring really i was expecting some placard waving pensioners chanting about protecting some 3 legged flying newt!!........nope, just a tooooo long explanation by the council development manager, then straight to proposer, seconder, bit of positive banter from Lib dems, vote, done deal!!! Razz
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Amazing, just goes to show that there really were no objections that would stand up to proper scrutiny otherwise they'd have put a case. I rather thought the ones objecting online were a combination of people with a knee jerk reaction who hadn't actually read the proposals properly (particularly on the traffic issue), ranters with an axe to grind about the council and plain old fashioned NIMBYs! rolling eyes Glad I was right! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am torn between the moral 'eco' issues of ski fridges and the fact that having one a little closer to the west of the country seems to be a good thing for me. I dare say I would pop in for a slide though Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you want to go all 'eco' than skiing in a fridge probably compares favourably with a flight to the alps.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some news reports coming out:
£50million Leisuredome gets planning approval
Major Boost For Weston Economy

As the articles point out planning still has to be signed off by the Secretary of State but given his final approval leisuredome hope to start building in December (I was told September/October at one point but plans may have changed ... or the press have got the wrong date!).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
i did point that out in an earlier post, it automatically has to go to Sec State, due to it being outside of the 'boundaries', but that should be a formality, as its been passed in council. it would have the avenue for an appeal if the council had turned it down. i think start date has moved back due to the fact that our hard worked politicians have all B*****d off for the summer wink Razz
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great news:

"Leisuredome are delighted to advise, that North Somerset Council has received confirmation from the National Planning Case Unit that the LeisureDome Planning Application has been endorsed by the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, so now has FULL PLANNING CONSENT. "

Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
roga, Great news, now lets hope the 'Money Men' (Bankers) think the same Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Excellent news. Might have to bring the boots back to the parents place so i can nip up when it's built and try out those new fangled 'carving' skis.... haven't been on a pair for nearly 20 years. You never know i might be converted back to the 'light' side. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga, Excellent news
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah, good news. My SiL in Wiltshire is in striking distance of Weston for a day trip - might need to invite ourselves down there in 2013. Smile

We still need one of these in the South East, though - i.e. South of the Thames.

btw Leisuredome has a Facebook page if anyone's interested.
snow conditions
Any more news on this one?
latest report
I would cast everyone's minds back to the Beckton Alps.....£30 million project that ran out of money!
snow conditions
No news I'm afraid, apparently currently getting the final finance together but seems to be taking longer than planned!

I guess we'll hear one way or the other in the next couple of months!
ski holidays
One question: The south west hardly lacks a hillside or two, why can't they build the slope using a natural slope? I'm no architect but surely that would seem the most sensible and cost effective way to build an indoor snow slope rather than use a man-made slope?
snow report
Quote:

No news I'm afraid, apparently currently getting the final finance together but seems to be taking longer than planned!

Not easy at the moment...
ski holidays
Lets hope that they get the design right this time.All the present indoor ski facilities have major design faults.When you consider aviation went from the Wight Brothers to Jet aircraft in 40 years the artificial ski slope industry is still in the biplane era.
snow report
junglist_matty wrote:
One question: The south west hardly lacks a hillside or two, why can't they build the slope using a natural slope? I'm no architect but surely that would seem the most sensible and cost effective way to build an indoor snow slope rather than use a man-made slope?

Normally to do with planning - they won't let them tear up a nice wooded hillside/farmland so are normally restricted to redeveloping brownfield sites which tend to be on flat land.
ski holidays
Also Weston gets a lot of tourist trade (no, really) - having this so close to the seafront rather than up in the hills (OK it's a bit brown sometimes but it is sea) and the pier makes loads of sense. Plus the best hills nearby are an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and, frankly, it'd be an eyesore on them.

I'm not just chuffed about this proposal as a rabid keen skiier in the southwest though, but really pleased it's in Weston as it's going to be a huge boost for a town that needs to keep people visiting. Come for the skiing, stay for fish and chips on the promenade. They are damn good chips.
latest report
fairyswan wrote:

I am looking for £350 ono plus delivery or can be collected in the Dagenham, Essex area, or I would be prepared to meet for cod within a 30 miles

Cunners wrote:
Come for the skiing, stay for fish and chips on the promenade. They are damn good chips.

May be you could send some of those chips to the poster above from "Buy, Sell, Exchange".....
snow report
seems it probably is going ahead. My daughter works in a localish shop and the owners have been approached by the ski slope folk about opening a branch of the surf shop in the new complex.It seems they want local businesses to get first shout rather than the likes of Ripsilver billaquick surfcurlbong.
snow report
An IDE snowmaker made slope on fire tracks in a forest would be so much more enjoyable to ski on and could run for the 5 months of the year that people want to go skiing.
snow conditions
Which 5 months is that? Our local dry slope is busiest in the summer months because it has a high number of racers, and racing in the UK is a summer sport, so that's when they like to train.
snow report
Is there any further update on this?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Urban_freestyle wrote:
Is there any further update on this?

I'm not quite so optimistic now. My local surf shop ,who were offered retail space, say everything has gone quiet. The WSM snowdome folk now own Gloucs ski slope but haven't (I've heard) improved the facilities nor installed the giant air bag as promised. I hope the dry ski slope does revamp itself as I surf regularly in that area and I live 30 mins away from WSM and so would love the fridge to happen. Fingers crossed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy