Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pieps Freeride..anyone tried one?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been looking with interest at the new Pieps Freeride.At its price,of interest to the less hardcore off pister?Have little doubt that,being Pieps,it will function well but....being only single antenna,it lacks actual direction finding like the BCA.
A couple of US sites criticise it,because you need to practise to use it Confused Sorry,but I would say you need to practise with any of them.I've 'played' with several different units...and found that practise is essential....period.
Anyone had the chance to play with one of these?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep. I got one to chuck it in the pocket everyday. The signal strength/flux line indicator thingy is clearer than the older analogue single antennas, it's got a basic multi burial feature (I haven't tried this out though) with a fairly foolproof indicator that it's got multiple signals and a clear explanation in the manual. It also has a handy reminder diagram printed on the back. It's also fairly tiny and has nicely rounded corners and an obviously on/obviously off (ie safe) switch.

If I was doing a big day well off-piste or over the back with a guide or group, I'd still hire a BCA/DSP type of thing and put it in a harness. If i'm doing what I usualy do - diving into the trees or grabbing some nearby freshies but not wanting to be a complete idiot - it's perfect.

I did buy it from Sport Conrad when the euro exchange rate was much better though & it worked out very cheap indeed - I don't know how the value for money shapes up these days.

Also - I haven't used this (or any other peeps) in anger, I'm pleased to be able to report, so can't say how much more help having an actual "go THAT way, numbnuts" direction finder is. Probably a lot.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cunners wrote:
can't say how much more help having an actual "go THAT way, numbnuts" direction finder is. Probably a lot.

That's the bit of interest to me.Having played around with quite a number of these gadgets...I would say the 'help' is variable.Our friends at Pistehors have something of general interest to us all:
"off piste skiers should travel in groups, observe and carry at least basic beacon technology. The Pieps freeride, BCA Tracker or Ortovox F1. The ANENA study supports BCA’s claim that freeriders in particular should focus on strategic shovelling techniques and safe travel procedures and worry less about the technology".
Having had a bash at digging out a dummy,I agree with this.It is knackering!!As for multiple buriels...unless you have double the number to dig,the outlook aint good Skullie
I'm at the stage of moderate off piste,and cant picture myself doing the extream stuff...but there's every chance my son will rolling eyes The Freeride is €140 at Sport Conrad,so waiting on an exchange rate improvement?They are on a couple of UK sites at £119.....but they have no stock,so waiting to see what happens.Ski show in October,so you never know?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy