Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What resort you've been once and don't want to go back?

Poster: A snowHead
Borovets.....Went there last year and just couldn't relax. Every bar you went into they spoke about the Bulgarian Mafia that owned the hotels, bars, nightclubs etc. Then spoke to loads of people who had bags get stolen in restaurants then magically reappear once the police were called. Hmmmmmm Glad to get out of there. Oh yes and came back with food poisoning which lasted two weeks and lost a stone and a half Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
retsil wrote:
St Johann [Tirol] -Sheffield ski village had more variety of slopes.

Can't leave that unchallenged! Although St. Johann isn't a very big resort, it does have variable slopes. Admittedly, I only ski there for a day at a time but checking last season, I see I went five times. So at least I go back Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
has to be flaine for me. the hotel was the worst ive ever been too, the resort was the ugliest i have ever been too - these purpose built french resorts, what were they thinking!? and to top it all off instead of snowing for us it only poured!! - the slopes were like swimming pools, only time i have ever saw it properly rain in a ski resort! so yes not really any nice memories tbh of my ski holiday to Flaine!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Ros & Saas Fee,
Actually did Saas Fee 2 x . Once in 2007 and my first time on skis in 1977.
First time was ace as I couldn;t ski much, but 2nd visit I realised how bad it is with so much walking between lifts and pistses, pistes and lift etc.
Brilliant village and mountains though, just cak lift system.

La Ros - too much of a 1 lift town when I was there (~7 years ago) incessant wind, too many drag lifts and too many flat bits for my novice boarding skills.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andyph wrote:
masmith, you clearly haven't been to Aviemore.

Awww, did CairnGorm deflate your ego NehNeh
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Livigno, disjointed area, town spread out! No not particulary fond memories!

That said if the group decide to go I will be there again, but would add my tuppence worth at the meeting!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Passo tonale...terrible place, either chavvy brits or poles all mainly drunk. Takes ages to get across the resort to decent places due to tons of busy slow lifts
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not mentioned so far: Tremblant. For me, it felt like a resort on a small hill trying to be bigger than it was. I found the skiing pretty uniform and samey. (BTW, the snow was excellent, so that wasn't the problem)

I would also take issue with the damning of la Rosiere, rather too may drag lifts, but some good varied skiing to be had especially in conjunction with la Thuile (and excellent bombardini to be had at the bottom the Petit St Barnard lift) wink. It probably helped that we had some great weather some of the week.

And Tignes - it's funny how polarising some resorts can be. The towns are not exactly picturesque, but if you want varied and reliable snow, it's got to be on the list of possibles IMV.

The good news with this disparity of opinions is that hopefully this applies to non- snowHeads too, and no result that I want to go to will get too crowded Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been to Borovets and would never go back there, or anywhere else in Eastern Europe. Never mind the poor skiing, think of the medical services!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia wrote:
abc, I think crossing the pond to go skiing is a lot more expensive than Europe. Plus it really doesn't make sense to go all that way just for a week.

queen bodecia, I actually gone skiing "cross the pond" ( though in reverse) a few times. That is, flying from the east coast of US to Europe to go skiing for only a week Smile

Even then, I don't just go for a typical week. My "week" is usually 9 days of skiing instead of 6!

That is true whether I fly to Europe or to the Rockies. Leave Friday evening, ski Saturday short'ish. And quit early on the last Sunday to catch a late flight home. The time difference works to my advantage: at least one leg of the flight will be an overnight flight. Save one night hotel bill and got an extra day of skiing in.

Granted, from Europe to the Rockies are longer than from the east coast to Europe. So even a 9 day "week" might still be too short for you guys.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc, I did fly from Sydney to get 2 weeks in Vail and Aspen once. 20 hours flying each way... Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
papasmurf wrote:
Passo tonale...terrible place, either chavvy brits or poles all mainly drunk. Takes ages to get across the resort to decent places due to tons of busy slow lifts

Possibly because it's about the cheapest resort in the Dolomites. As mentioned, it's miles from anywhere and there's very little going on.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stoatsbrother wrote:
abc, I did fly from Sydney to get 2 weeks in Vail and Aspen once. 20 hours flying each way... Sad

Last year I flew to Hong Kong and back in 10 days, 20+ hr flight + jet lags and all. Sad

And I didn't even get to ski! Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never been to a resort I'd never go back to and I've skied some pretty weird places.

No such things as rubbish resorts. Only bad timing.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski Liberty, PA USA- normally very little natural snow, not much of a Mnt (the lodge blocks the entire view of it from the parking lot) and it rained the day I went.
ski holidays
papasmurf, Passo Tonale is probably the least busy resort I've ever been to. I don't deny it has some minus points (horrid busy road right through the middle, hardly any nightlife, small skiing area) but I still think it has more plusses than minuses (great snow, easy pistes, fast chair lifts, nice value for money hotels).
snow conditions
Livigno. The coach transfer is 5 hrs. Some fun runs there but not enough to make me endure another 5 hr marathon. Good bombardinos though.
St Moritz. Pretty town and good lift system - just too expensive for what you get. Also too many rich folk flouncing about for me.
Norquay. The next time I go to Banff I will probably skip Norquay and go straight to Sunshine or Lake Louise - it's just too small to waste a day of your tri-area pass on.
snow report
Quote:

St Moritz. Pretty town and good lift system - just too expensive for what you get. Also too many rich folk flouncing about for me.

I had the opposit experience. Wink

I got a pretty nice deal (all inclusive) at St Moritz. As a result, I didn't experienced anything that's "too expensive". I was impressed with the high standard of lodging and food. Hence consider it excellent value for the price I paid.

The lift systems however, is so typical of Swiss resorts. Half of the best skiing are all accessed by drag lifts!!! Sad
latest report
abc, longer than a week not feasible for me, but I will cross the pond to go skiing one day. After retirement age probably, then I can do it properly and spend a few weeks there!
ski holidays
Kimberley in Canada - on a day trip from Fernie. Very dull ski-ing, we were glad we were not there for the fortnight -Fernie on the other hand, ticked most of the boxes. Not in the same class as Zinal, Grimentz, Andermatt and Engelberg though.
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
abc, longer than a week not feasible for me, but I will cross the pond to go skiing one day. After retirement age probably, then I can do it properly and spend a few weeks there!

That's why I ski the arrival and departure day! I get 9 days skiing and only need to take 1 week off. And if I pick a week that has a bank holiday, I get an extra day and make it 10! That's almost as many skiing days as you'll normally get out of 2 weeks trip. You need to be quite hardcore to do that though. Wink

A multi-week road trip is of course better! Smile
snow conditions
Fernie! I forgot about that place. Must have been blotted out of my memory because it was such a disappointment. Hugely overrated as a destination in my view. The only ski resort where I have ever seen tumbleweed blowing down the emptiest deadest mainstreet I've ever experienced. It didn't help that it was probably the worst winter for them in 20 years (or so they said). Half the place was closed due to avalanche risk and the bottom was either running water - we were past the slush stage by then - or tarmac.
I know some people swear by the place, but my one and only experience was so bad - I also got food poisoning - not even the offer of a free holiday there would tempt me back.
It's only saving grace was a cat-skiing operation an hour or so's drive away. If I could have afforded to do that for the 2 weeks I would have.
ski holidays
Kaprun is the only place I wouldn't go back to
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
meribel
travelled all the way to the alps to find myself in Fulham

Laughing Laughing Laughing excellent

For me, Passo Tonale - went there on a one day trip included on my ski pass. Dull, and frankly boring skiing with a resort for masses. A day I'll never get back unfortunately.
latest report
steamboat.. boring...
snow conditions
Not sure what polo boy is on about, I have taken 50 plus people to Niederau each feb half term for 5 years Many experienced skiers, but like Niederau for ski schools and kids safety! I have never queued for 30 minutes for the gondola, but there again we get on it first thing! Also 4 seater chairlift had no queues at all in half term with great runs!!
regards runs cannot really comment as none of my 50 strong group had any problems.
Finally must reccomend the Alpenland great place to stay!!!
latest report
Second vote for Les Deux Alpes - a horrible, menancing atmosphere in the evenings - I'm told by those who know that New Year is to be avoided, but it was enough to put me off for good.

I wouldn't rush back to Vermon either - not for skiing anyway - too darn cold! Skullie
snow conditions
Would think twice about bothering again with: Cervinia, La Thuile/Ros, Courmayeur, Sauze d'Oulx. Although none of them are bad enough that I wouldn't go for free!

All Italian. Coincidence?

On the whole I don't ever want to go back to somewhere I've already been though. Why on earth would you? Seems daft.

The only place I've been that I *would* actively like a repeat visit of, is Zermatt.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio, I agree with wanting to try a different resort each time, but can't really see why you don't like Italy. Lovely well-groomed slopes and laid back atmosphere combined with good value for money. Gets my vote every time. I really can't see myself ever going back to France.
ski holidays
I don't not like Italy. I wasn't especially enamoured with any of those places though.

Cervinia: unbelievably flat. You ride the chairlifts down, and then pole back up the pistes. A total waste of time, apart from the Ventina run.
La Thuile/Ros just didn't do it for me. Skied it all out in about 2 days. Lots of quite samey runs.
Courmayeur: Terrible piste grooming - death cookies all over the place, really limited area, far too busy.
Sauze: Awful lift network, crappy town. Takes ages to get to the more worthwhile bits of the Via Lattea.

Really liked Pila, that's in Italy.
snow conditions
Strange, I found the piste grooming to be excellent in Courmayeur, maybe it helped that the snow was brilliant too but admittedly it is quite a small ski area, even I managed to cover it all in a couple of days (apart from the scary-looking black runs). Haven't been to any of the other places (yet!) but I like the sound of Cervinia.
snow report
There's no ski resort that I've been to that I'd never ever want to return to, I've enjoyed them all, some more than others.
I think it depends on lots of factors:- snow, weather, crowds, standard accommodation, standard lessons (if you have them), standard of skiing, what you're looking for in a resort i.e cruising mileage, off piste, alpine charm/scenery, nightlife etc etc.
What floats one persons boat doesn't necessarily do it for someone else and that's good, we don't all want to end up in the same place do we, it'd be rather crowded wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 11-12-09 15:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I doubt I'll return to Obertauern or Stubai. Not terrible, but I just don't see any reason to go back there when there are other, better options (in my opinion, of course) near-by. I didn't really like the atmosphere of those places, and found the skiing not terribly interesting.
latest report
My short list of places to avoid.
St Lary in the Pair'o'knees - the thought of it still gets me off to sleep
Salen, Sweden - the only slope is the curvature of the earth
Aprica, Italy - a sort of strung-out lorry park with ski lifts
Sauze D'Oulx, Italy - 30 years out of date
St Moritz (St Boritz more like)
Oh and I went to a place called FRANCE once and vowed never again. But sometimes I go back just to make sure.
latest report
Isola 2000. Went on EWUSC trip in 80s. Very cold with virtually no mountain cafes. Boring skiing and an armpit of a village. You probably couldn't pay me enough to go back there.
snow conditions
I can't think that there's anywhere (Lothian Dry Ski Centre) included that I wouldn't go back to, although there are a few that if I had options, I'd possibly take the alternative. I mean, skiing's always skiing, right?

However, I am not generally impressed with;

Cervinia

Hunter Mountain, (New York)
Wyndham (New York)

Mount Snow (Vermont) - with the exception of one immensely steep, icy mogul field that was really rather tasty.
snow conditions
I'm with Bodecia, La Plagne was really terrible.
On balance even worse than Poiana Brasov in Romania, at least I could afford that!

Any flat resort where it feels like they've tried to squeeze the most pistes they can from a mountain
that just doesn't have enough gradient - I'm refering to you Kitzbuhel.
Also moguls! Winter park in Colorado, whats wrong with you?
Just groom the place once in a while will you Puzzled
snow report
jat147 wrote:
Also moguls! Winter park in Colorado, whats wrong with you?
Just groom the place once in a while will you Puzzled
under a new name wrote:
one immensely steep, icy mogul field that was really rather tasty.

This illustrate perfectly what a "good" resort is for each...
snow report
Davos. Overpriced and completely lacking any decent nightlife, even at extortionate prices. The skiing was just about ok. But for that price could have had twice as long in a much better standard of accomodation in the French Alps or a better resort. And the transfer was 3 hours by train. Won't be going back.
snow report
Leysin.

1st ski trip ever, went with school. Hotel we stayed in was a 45min walk from the nearest lift. Had to go back to hotel for lunch each day and seemed to spend the whole week walking rather than sking.

It must have changed now though, no one would walk that far each day would they ?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy